"Transexual" censored by filter

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 5 6 7 17 Next
5 pages and not one person has pointed out that heterosexual is filtered in-game as well?
B. Rules Related to "Chat" and Interaction With Other Users. Communicating in-game with other Users and Blizzard representatives, whether by text, voice or any other method, is an integral part of the Game and the Service and is referred to here as "Chat." When engaging in Chat, you may not:

(i) Transmit or post any content or language which, in the sole and absolute discretion of Blizzard, is deemed to be offensive, including without limitation content or language that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, sexually explicit, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable, nor may you use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the content and language restrictions listed above;

theres your answer in black and white, you really should READ the ToU before agreeing to it

That isn't my point.

My point is that because of shoddy/lazy programming practices, they are censoring completely innocent words (purple fruit, curtains/capes, etc) because they are REALLY trying to censor words that they think are too commonly used offensively.

They aren't really TRYING to censor Purple Fruit. The fact you can't type the Purple Fruit's name is pretty much nothing more than collateral damage. Basically, they are using sledgehammer to fix something a jewelry mallet would solve.

The whole "Sledgehammer to fix a Jewelry Mallet's problem" is something we see far too often in even their patches, where they overkill the problem and everything relating to the problem instead of using precision-aimed tweaks, and testing those instead.
homophobic

*Sigh*

That word = Overused and almost always used in the wrong way.

You think being gay is wrong = "OMG HOMOPHOBE"

A phobia is a fear.

ho·mo·pho·bi·a
   [hoh-muh-foh-bee-uh] Show IPA
noun
unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality.

Sounds like it is being used properly to me?

BTW,

an·tip·a·thy
   [an-tip-uh-thee] Show IPA
noun, plural -thies.
a natural, basic, or habitual repugnance; aversion.
an instinctive contrariety or opposition in feeling.
an object of natural aversion or habitual dislike.
01/23/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Ritarita
Just so you know, Japan doesn't even consider transexualism a mental disorder, unlike many of our countries.

They also consider your blood type proper grounds for discrimination in job hiring.

Comparing different cultures is rather pointless.
Your main hobby (trolling the forums) can be considered a major idiocy by more people than you imagine.

Says the person who goes through a lot of effort to correct a person who is, in her opinion, is "wrong" on the internet.

The typical "anyone who doesn't share my normal standards are crazy".

Funnily enough, anyone who has a different opinion to yours is dubbed a "troll".

01/23/2012 04:26 PMPosted by Aetherya
He's a troll because he has a different opinion? Ok...

Unfortunately, some people on the forums often like to take anyone who has a contrary opinion to their own and make them out to be a "troll". I think they do so in an effort to detract from their opposition's credibility. Often to no avail. Sad, really. Ah well. =/
01/23/2012 04:12 PMPosted by Stephanie
When you are born male, you ARE male. No one outside of lunatics has ever, in all of human history, claimed otherwise.

So all !@#$%^-*!@#s and transgendered people are loonies and should be euthanized for the betterment of society?
The word "!@#$" is also censored in game. I do not know why.

Edit: Apparently it's censored on the forums as well. Does that mean !@#$lypuff is a bad word? Or can we not discuss Will smith's smash hit "Gettin' !@#$y with it" ?
Dear Fellow Blizzard Players,

An issue we seem to face in modern day world, is people being offended by simple terms or practices and the "Higher-Ups" removing said thing to please the crowd who is displeased. A prime example would be a Christmas tree. People who do not celebrate christmas will be offended if one is put up, so they will take it down. And the people who like the tree will not defend it because they feel it is not a big deal.

In reality, people shouldn't be offended by things simply because they exist. Because other people think otherwise of the topic. If any of you have ever heard of the novel Fahrenheit 451, I highly suggest to read it.

My only opinion on this subject, because I don't really wish to offend anyone would be this.

If we keep giving in to the offended crowd, will there be anything left in the long run that is fun? There will always be someone wont there?

Love and Knee Hugs,
Hermie

P.S - We can turn the profanity filter off in game!
*Sigh*

That word = Overused and almost always used in the wrong way.

You think being gay is wrong = "OMG HOMOPHOBE"

A phobia is a fear.

Also, this.
Sounds like it is being used properly to me?

I know it is. I kinda went on a rant because the majority of the time I see the word used, it's misued so I raged. I'll edit my post, again. >.>

Hmm?

Well your original stance was "homophobia is ONLY a fear and nothing else" but yet dictionary.com also says that "Unreasoning antipathy towards homosexuals" also qualifies.

So anyone who has any fear, OR, strong dislike towards homosexuals is, yes, a homophobe. By definition.

Unless you mean to say that www.dictionary.com is wrong?
01/23/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Karat
It's not the word so much as how the community uses it.

01/23/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Colalicious
I love how homosexual is also sensored... didn't know my sexual orientation was considered bad by Blizzard.

Its not bad, its used as a derogatory phrase by morons.
01/23/2012 04:37 PMPosted by Aetherya
Phobia is also aversion. Get your facts straight before you try to troll or discuss.

Not trolling.

I have my facts straight, unlike you. :)

You dub anyone that has a different opinion then yours a Troll.

Eh, no offense, but www.dictionary.com disagrees with you. See my above.