"Transexual" censored by filter

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 17 Next
01/23/2012 04:09 PMPosted by Hirai
(I live near Pittsburgh, PA)

Gonna assume you're talking about the City Paper. I used to pick one of those up each time they put out a new one just to giggle furiously at the adult ads and sexual horoscopes.
01/23/2012 04:35 PMPosted by Hermie
A prime example would be a Christmas tree. People who do not celebrate christmas will be offended if one is put up, so they will take it down. And the people who like the tree will not defend it because they feel it is not a big deal.

I have never heard anyone compllain about Christmas trees. Ever.
01/23/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Phlegemon
Also, Chromi is pretty well known (the male dragon that takes female gnome form)

Not true Chromie is female. The official WoW magazine even said she is infact a she. As far as the whole naming rules that people mention the naming convention is not set in stone. It is an observation made by players. A pattern that appears often but not always. Some dragons follow it, some ignore it. It's okay to contradict a trend because thats what it is: a trend, not a hard and fast rule.
01/23/2012 03:43 PMPosted by Epaxea
People may use the word in an abusive context, but censoring it because of that would be like censoring the words "black" or "asian" because people say racist things on WoW.

If I'm not mistaken, "transexualism" is essentially when one is dissatisfied with their assigned genitalia because they feel that they were "born" a different, psychological gender.

Being black or asian has nothing to do with one's genitals.

That said, I agree that disabling the censor on the word in question would do more harm than good to those who are overly sensitive.

Black, asian, and transexual are all adjectives used to describe biological characteristics of people that said people didn't choose and can't change. The overwhelming psychological and psychiatric consensus is that gender dysphoria is a physiological condition that causes severe suffering for the people who are affected by it, and the only effective way of treating the condition is to have the person transition into the preferred gender.

The word transexual is no more offensive than the word black, asian, or blue eyed, or red haired. While it is unfortunate that people do not have the maturity to accept their fellow human beings, censoring the word "transexual" perpetuates negative attitudes by virtue of making it a forbidden and naughty word, which implies that trans people themselves are alien and deviant.

I'm saying that censoring it does more harm than good.
(I live near Pittsburgh, PA)

Gonna assume you're talking about the City Paper. I used to pick one of those up each time they put out a new one just to giggle furiously at the adult ads and sexual horoscopes.

We don't get the actual city paper up this way, just the two locals. We used to get the Trib, but... not anymore. They don't deliver it up this way these days.

But with all the crime down there these days.... the paper should be rated M. I mean, Seriously.
01/23/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Ritarita

He's a troll because he has a different opinion? Ok...

By different opinion you mean acting like your typical homophobic moron like if he was born into the 40's?

it's the leading counter-perspective...of course you'll encounter it. it's the most abundant.
01/23/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Räle

If I'm not mistaken, "transexualism" is essentially when one is dissatisfied with their assigned genitalia because they feel that they were "born" a different, psychological gender.

Being black or asian has nothing to do with one's genitals.

That said, I agree that disabling the censor on the word in question would do more harm than good to those who are overly sensitive.

Black, asian, and transexual are all adjectives used to describe biological characteristics of people that said people didn't choose and can't change. The overwhelming psychological and psychiatric consensus is that gender dysphoria is a physiological condition that causes severe suffering for the people who are affected by it, and the only effective way of treating the condition is to have the person transition into the preferred gender.

The word transexual is no more offensive than the word black, asian, or blue eyed, or red haired. While it is unfortunate that people do not have the maturity to accept their fellow human beings, censoring the word "transexual" perpetuates negative attitudes by virtue of making it a forbidden and naughty word, which implies that trans people themselves are alien and deviant.

dayum
5 star post
Eh, no offense, but www.dictionary.com disagrees with you. See my above.

A website can be wrong, dear. Recognize that fact.

I'm not going to bother with you or the DK anymore. DK = Person that dubs someone as a troll because another persons opinion differs from theirs. You = LOL Dictionary.com says this and that so you HAVE to be wrong,

If I had a paperback Webster's, I'd try that.. wait, isn't Webster's also online?

*checks*

Oh, lookie. Mirriam-Webster says the same thing. Actually, they go even *further* towards the discrimination angle than www.dictionary.com did.

ho·mo·pho·bia
noun \ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə\
: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Is Webster's wrong too?
01/23/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Ritarita
derailing a thread with an "opinion".

She did not "derail" the thread. She added her own opinion to it. She is entitled to as much as you are.

01/23/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Hirai
Eh, no offense, but www.dictionary.com disagrees with you. See my above.

How about those who don't have a "dislike" or "aversion" towards homosexuals but simply have a different opinion?
semi-troll bait but...I never heard of "transphobia". I don't even know if such a word exists.

I know homophobia was mentioned above but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
01/23/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Jessebella
I have never heard anyone compllain about Christmas trees. Ever.

I assure you my friend, it does happen.

Hear, hear.
01/23/2012 04:45 PMPosted by Epaxea
How about those who don't have a "dislike" or "aversion" towards homosexuals but simply have a different opinion?

Very simple.

If you do not:

1). Have an irrational fear of,
2). Do not have an aversion to,
3). Do not discriminate against,

Then you are NOT homophobic.
01/23/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Baneustwo
5 pages and not one person has pointed out that heterosexual is filtered in-game as well?

/gasp

They're totally discriminating against heterosexuals!
01/23/2012 04:41 PMPosted by Räle
Black, asian, and transexual are all adjectives used to describe biological characteristics of people

Transexualism is not a biological characteristic. It is a psychological issue that often compels the sufferer to undergo surgery and mutilation for a perceived flaw.

Edit: In before "but dictionary.com (or insert choice of website here) says..."

I assure you my friend, it does happen.

Seriously? O.O

didnt an airport remove their tree recently?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2715008&page=1

first google link i found. no idea how recent it is.