No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

General Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 26 Next
Blizzcon has always been associated with the world ending.

Last year the tickets went on sale the day the crazy old guy (Harold Camping?) predicted the world to end the first time, and then the first day of the con fell on the 2nd day he predicted the world to end.
01/25/2012 11:23 AMPosted by Nephthys
As I said before, while they DONT make instant profit, per se at Blizzcon....do you honestly think a business would put on such an event for FUN? Def not.

Oh I think they make huge profit from it. Revenue from tickets. Revenue from exhibitors (like nvidia, steel series, etc.). Massive revenue from ultra overpriced gear at the Blizzard store - yes I'm a nerd and bought my $100+ hoodie, and so did 1000's of other ppl.

Remember, the event is operated by, and the content primarily filled by, existing staff. That's a fixed cost that they've already paid for. I'm not suggesting there wouldn't be additional expenses. But I think the revenue far exceeds them.
I'm not lying. My server, Courageous, have 20-25 people top on fleet. At peak times.
01/25/2012 06:12 AMPosted by Tikichicken
Good. Now they have time to book a proper musical performance and not some heavy metal garbage.

What was so bad with the Foo Fighters? Amazing band & amazing show!

As long as they stay away from that rap & hip hop talentless garbage, sure.
;_;
B-But...
01/25/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Seeo
Good. Now they have time to book a proper musical performance and not some heavy metal garbage.

What was so bad with the Foo Fighters? Amazing band & amazing show!

As long as they stay away from that rap & hip hop talentless garbage, sure.
If its not Justin Bieber, it's garbage in his eyes. XD
01/25/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Ashin
As I said before, while they DONT make instant profit, per se at Blizzcon....do you honestly think a business would put on such an event for FUN? Def not.

Oh I think they make huge profit from it. Revenue from tickets. Revenue from exhibitors (like nvidia, steel series, etc.). Massive revenue from ultra overpriced gear at the Blizzard store - yes I'm a nerd and bought my $100+ hoodie, and so did 1000's of other ppl.

Remember, the event is operated by, and the content primarily filled by, existing staff. That's a fixed cost that they've already paid for. I'm not suggesting there wouldn't be additional expenses. But I think the revenue far exceeds them.

They don't. They've made multiple official statements saying that BlizzCon is run at a loss, despite the ticket price and swag prices and everything. Blizzard holds it as an event for the fans and an event for their company.

It's a marketing event, sure. That might drum up enough revenue down the line to make it profitable, but no one knows the figures so you can't say either way. And the con itself is definitely run at a loss.

There was no Blizzcon 2006. There was never a guarantee of consecutive Blizzcons--folks just got used to it. They have enough stuff to actually get out the door as it is, so not having to deal with a convention only helps with the production schedule.[/b]

First of all, nobody buys that.

Second of all, BlizzCon 2011 took place while they were allegedly deep into the production of a bunch of games and it wasn't a problem. BlizzCon 2012 would be more or less a review on the production that took place in 2011. D3 should be out, and the MoP beta should be out.

Speak for yourself not everyone else. YOU may not "buy" it, but some of us live in the real world.

If you take off your tinfoil hat for a minute and actually READ what was stated, you might note that there are a lot of projects going and Blizzcon requires a lot of hours from the Devs. A project of this size requires many months of preparation. If you have never helped to put on a project, even a fraction of the size and magnitude of a Blizzcon, you would be staggered at what is actually involved.

I know it is probably difficult to envision anything normal taking place, since that just does not meet the desperate needs of the conspiracy chasers quite like a rant does, but not everything has to be a giant secret conspiracy to fool the players.

Actually, what I thought was a little interesting was the statement that there would probably not be much NEW news at that time. That led me to ponder whether they are to expect a possible Diablo AND MOP release well before Blizzcon would have taken place.

Time will tell.
01/25/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Bashiok

I hope I'm reading and interpreting this incorrectly.

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.

Bashiok can I interpret your response as meaning we are all getting that Moose Ghostcrawler promised two years ago?

Not that I'm still holding out for that.......
So much for saving my money for that. To PAX with me!
I hope they have Blizzcon at a better time in 2013. It has been during the school year the past 2 or 3 years so hard for some of us to get to T_T.
I have to say, I'm extremely disappointed that we will not have a Blizzcon this year. As someone who has attended the last 4 Blizzcon's in row, this has become my one annual trip I look forward to every year.

I would hope with all postings about how everyone is disappointed in the cancellation, Blizzard would reconsider this poorly made decision.
This makes me a very sad Panda.. Oh well, as long as the games are good I guess it would be ok to miss out on Blizzcon. The fact that blizz is willing to sacrifice that much revenue generation to make the games more polished really re-assures the reason why I love their games.

I respect the decision, keep it up Blizz.
01/25/2012 10:15 AMPosted by Bashiok

I hope I'm reading and interpreting this incorrectly.

I'm not sure how you're reading and interpreting it. But it's good to have hope.

Because Blizzcon is usually in what September-November?

Diablo 3 is supposed to be out by then right?
SC2: Forgot the Name, is also supposed to be out by then or coming out shortly thereafter.
and WoW: MoP is coming this December, meaning by the time Blizzcon rolled around it would be in the final stages of beta, so not much to tell right?

In other words by the time Blizzcon came around everything that there was to know about these games would already be known and there wouldn't be anything to announce, or show off as a secret until that moment.

I think the confused poster was thinking that you were saying that Blizzard had already announced everything about the games they were releasing this year, so there wasn't going to be any more information or big announcements about them between now and when they were released.

OF COURSE... there is always project Titan you could tell us about, and you could have an entire Blizzcon devoted to Project Titan :P