No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

General Discussion
Prev 1 22 23 24 26 Next
I'd venture to say, from what I remember from working on Con stuff years ago, that ultimately this is a marketing move.

I'm not going to flame, I'm just going to throw that out there...... Oh, and what the hell is an ampm?

*Okay, that was a little bit of a flame...*
MIGHT BE TO KEEP PLAYERS INTERESTED FOR MISTS OF PANDARIA?

Thoughts?
01/25/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Ninerfan
I have not been to Blizzcon, but many friends in guild and in game have, and they love it. The videos on youtube show lots having a great time there. Too bad Blizz could't find a way to make it happen. It does send a message that they don't have much going on, when they say tahts the reaon they can't do it. Very mixed signal. Even if they don't have things coming out in 2012 which they do, the 2012 show is really to promote 2013. Doesn't make sense. They sould reconsider and have one this year after all.

Actually.....I believe the reason they cited was that they had too much going on.

01/25/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Dorrell
Oh, and what the hell is an ampm?

AMPM is some West Coast only chain of convince stores. So apparently everyone on the West Coast gets to buy cups at $1.99 each and try selling them for $30 each on ebay to everyone that doesn't live on the West Coast.
01/25/2012 05:59 AMPosted by Astraeä
Did you ever stop to think, that with all the controversy of last years BlizzCon, that they just didnt want to go through that again? Needless to say, it will save me money this year, and I like that.

My first thought exactly.

Blizzard is deciding to return to subject, and what better way to do this than to Cancel an event where there's a more louder, biased community, that raves and rants about being superior to its other half, who also has hate mongering homophobic special guests.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIcfAvtoyBs&feature=g-u-u&context=G263a638FUAAAAAAACAA

My thoughts
01/25/2012 07:17 AMPosted by Valariala
Controversy?

Yeah, all the people getting shirty and emo about wanting LGBT themes shoehorned into WoW or taking the nerdrage of George Fisher seriously. It was famous and important for about a week. Then the Kung-Fu Panda/Pokemon trolls overtook it until they too became old and got put back in the box for later flogging.

Lasted 3 months
01/25/2012 03:37 PMPosted by Seebach

Yeah, all the people getting shirty and emo about wanting LGBT themes shoehorned into WoW or taking the nerdrage of George Fisher seriously. It was famous and important for about a week. Then the Kung-Fu Panda/Pokemon trolls overtook it until they too became old and got put back in the box for later flogging.

Lasted 3 months

Someone even started a petition about the nerdrage video that got all of like 300 signatures...
01/25/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Alilara
3. Last years fiasco during the open question session. The fall out from it on the forums and through the entirity of the community wasn't pretty. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to step back from Blizzcon and consider how they want to approach an open mic without risk of offending anyone with a similar situation. You know it will just come up again now that the cats out of the bag.

^ I totally blame the people who complained on the forums about the concert. Blizz probably figured that they don't wanna be in that situation again and canceled Blizz con to be safe. Never take anything for granted, including WOW.... Did those people ever stop to think of the consequences?

Did the people that they rightfully and justly complained about think of the consequences?

Gotta take responsibility for your own stuff.
Oh, and what the hell is an ampm?

AMPM is some West Coast only chain of convince stores. So apparently everyone on the West Coast gets to buy cups at $1.99 each and try selling them for $30 each on ebay to everyone that doesn't live on the West Coast.

I know what it is, I was trying to prove a point......

The issue is that more and more, it feels (I'm not saying this is true CMs... it just feels this way) like Blizzard has lost touch with it's primary consumer.

The whole of Cata and the current outcome of needed nerfs due to miscalculating how "hard core" people wanted to play.
The lack of a real battle box for this ENTIRE EXPAC, and the continued outragous cost of getting into the game.
The minimal to non-existant marketing throughout all of this last year.

And today continues this trend. Cancelation of an event that players love and many who couldn't attend could still be part of though other media, and the addition of a promotion that is going to be a disaster and an ebay wet dream for the minor and limited portion of the community that actually lives near one of these "regional" (not national) gas station chains.

How in the name of the light did we go from a game that was marketed on Mt. Dew, to gas station cups? Seriously, do the folks you have working on sales and marketing really think this is okay? I'd have been laughed out of a boardroom if I'd suggested that when I worked in marketing.
Blizzcon, 2012

Blizzard: "So, we'd like to tell you about our next expansion for World of Warcraft..."

Audience: "But we haven't even finished the first tier of MoP raids yet!"

Blizzard: "Well... um... How about a little information on the next expansion for D3..."

Audience: "We're still playing through the game that you just released! We're not ready for an expansion!"

Blizzard: "We'd like to announce the next part of the Starcraft II line..."

Audience: You aren't even releasing Heart of the Swarm until next month. Why are you already announcing part three?"

Blizzard: "Um... well... I guess that wraps it up for the keynote this year, folks."

Audience: "What? No info on anything new? This Blizzcon was 100% fail!"
The closest ampm to me is half a state away. Aw...
pissed...... I was going this year for our family vacation.

at least that is going to save me some cash to buy other games I herd there is a new Star Wars game out.
Cancelation of an event...

How do you cancel an event that was never scheduled to begin with?
01/25/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Seebach
Did you ever stop to think, that with all the controversy of last years BlizzCon, that they just didnt want to go through that again? Needless to say, it will save me money this year, and I like that.

My first thought exactly.

Blizzard is deciding to return to subject, and what better way to do this than to Cancel an event where there's a more louder, biased community, that raves and rants about being superior to its other half, who also has hate mongering homophobic special guests.

If I was Blizzard and I didn't want additional fallout from that dude's politically incorrect yet hilarious comments, I would probably aim to just not invite him and make sure the convention stays extra politically correct before I scrap the whole BlizzCon idea.

Kind of similar to a lot of situations I would find myself in. If my dinner catches fire in the microwave, I will smother it before I turn a fire hydrant on my kitchen. If I get a paper cut I will apply pressure and then maybe a bandage before I use a tourniquet and amputate. If I see a little puppy I will pet it before I mourn its death, celebrate it's long life, and bury it in the yard. And if some random person makes eye contact with me, I will look away before charging him and beating him up for attacking me. I dunno, maybe not skipping ahead only makes sense to me.
yes, the concert totally cancelled blizzcon. true story. >.>

a complaint about something silly like that is simple. don't do that again. not the entire con. Did we cancel the super bowl because of janet & justin's "accident"? no. ...granted every super bowl halftime concert since then has been rather dull & channel swap worthy, but still.

it's about money. it's about activision.

...meanwhile it costs more on the individual to go to blizzcon than it ever would for them to host it.

Blaming Activision is one of the stupidest things I've read all day. Activision has no say in anything going on at Blizzard. Blizzard maintains full control over almost everything they do, including all direction of their games and marketing.
01/25/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Dorrell
The issue is that more and more, it feels (I'm not saying this is true CMs... it just feels this way) like Blizzard has lost touch with it's primary consumer.

I find that to be a bit disingenuous considering that it's hard to pin down one profile for the "primary consumer". No matter which move Blizzard makes there are going to be parts of the overall population which are really happy or really upset.

Think of politics. No matter what happens, you can't please everyone. At the end of the day, though, a decision still needs to be made.
01/25/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Dorrell
How in the name of the light did we go from a game that was marketed on Mt. Dew, to gas station cups? Seriously, do the folks you have working on sales and marketing really think this is okay? I'd have been laughed out of a boardroom if I'd suggested that when I worked in marketing.

I also worked in marketing for four years. I can assure you, if I made a presentation that demonstrated a solid return on investment I would not have been laughed out of the boardroom. Executives usually see things through the lens of dollars and cents. Unless a move hurts the overall brand, which I don't see collector cups in a chain being, it's not going to be a deal breaker.