No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next

AMPM is some West Coast only chain of convince stores. So apparently everyone on the West Coast gets to buy cups at $1.99 each and try selling them for $30 each on ebay to everyone that doesn't live on the West Coast.

I know what it is, I was trying to prove a point......

The issue is that more and more, it feels (I'm not saying this is true CMs... it just feels this way) like Blizzard has lost touch with it's primary consumer.

The whole of Cata and the current outcome of needed nerfs due to miscalculating how "hard core" people wanted to play.
The lack of a real battle box for this ENTIRE EXPAC, and the continued outragous cost of getting into the game.
The minimal to non-existant marketing throughout all of this last year.

And today continues this trend. Cancelation of an event that players love and many who couldn't attend could still be part of though other media, and the addition of a promotion that is going to be a disaster and an ebay wet dream for the minor and limited portion of the community that actually lives near one of these "regional" (not national) gas station chains.

How in the name of the light did we go from a game that was marketed on Mt. Dew, to gas station cups? Seriously, do the folks you have working on sales and marketing really think this is okay? I'd have been laughed out of a boardroom if I'd suggested that when I worked in marketing.

I don't understand. Marketed on Mountain Dew is good, for sure. But...marketed at AM/PM is also good. Just as good in the regions that have AM/PMs.

I also don't understand how you made the assumption that Blizzard cancelled Blizzcon because of....what? Are you saying they did it as a marketing strategy? Because I agree with you, that would be idiotic. About as idiotic as assuming it was a marketing strategy based on no information. And about as idiotic as assuming it was a marketing strategy when Blizzard has already said it's because there's too much other stuff going on.

Oh, and all of your other points are equally ridiculous. It doesn't cost a lot to get into he game. Complaining about the state of the game and then complaining about changes they make to fix is just facepalm. You actually complained about a problem and them solving the problem in the same breath. You can't have it both ways bro. And minimal marketing? Just because you're too blind to have seen the countless ads all over the internet, promotions, discounts, sales, and tv and radio commercials doesn't mean they didn't happen. Maybe try reading up on something before you look like a fool trying to tear it down.

You're obviously under some serious misconceptions about marketing.
01/25/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Zabre
Blizzcon sucks anyways. Blizz has 3 games. How can you hold a conference for 3 games? They should lower their pride and join the mainstream gaming conventions.

Not E3 though. The people that pay for E3 support SOPA/PIPA that would end all the WoW fanart across the internet.
. It doesn't cost a lot to get into he game.

Okay, I'm only going to take this one snip of your response to illustrate how out of touch you are with your post.

Launch: 50$
BC: Classic 30$, BC 40$ - 70$
Wrath: Battle chest: 30$, Wrath 40$ - 70$
Cata: Battle chest: 20$, Wrath 30$, Cata 40$ - 90$

From my experience, people are willing to pay the lower amount then the second one when they get to that point. Cata has 3 tiers at another 20$ cost, which is just enough to turn off many customers who they haven't been bringing in to replace the ones that are leaving.

15 bucks isn't much, but add that all in with the above and you get a mess.

And regional advertising is 100% worthless when you're a WORLD WIDE PRODUCT!!! That's like Walmart only putting newspaper flyers in the South East US and expecting customer satisfaction and sales to go up nation wide.

Also, BlizzCon is a branded specific marketing tool used to get everyone excited about THIER products. You don't see Nintendo getting air time there? It's about them, the ultimate call on if this goes on or not would logically come from the MARKETING department.
It's not just the money they're saving on, but that's alot of work that they put towards planning blizzcon, work that they can put towards the new expansion, if this is why i'm glad they're doing this.
01/25/2012 06:00 AMPosted by Ishockucry
You all realize that the world is ending on december 21st 2012 right?

lol, that must be why they canceled it.
So it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that WoW has lost over a million subscribers, and also profits nothing from hosting a BlizzCon event? At all? I'm sure Activision might have something to say regarding that.
01/25/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Belthin
Blizzcon sucks anyways. Blizz has 3 games. How can you hold a conference for 3 games? They should lower their pride and join the mainstream gaming conventions.

Not E3 though. The people that pay for E3 support SOPA/PIPA that would end all the WoW fanart across the internet.

Only if Blizzard actually complains about the fanart. . .
Sometimes you just have to reign it all in. We all know what happens if you try and do too many things at once, and over extend yourselves. Think splitting DPS on adds, while the tank is getting his face smashed by the boss, if you don't focus each thing down they'll never die and you'll wipe.

If people are this passionate about getting together to celebrate Blizzard, or just hang out, why not organize more local "cons" or LAN parties etc.?

I haven't been in a position to attend a BlizzCon yet, but definitely plan to attend the next one.

Actually had my trip to attend this year's planned, however will now adjust and still visit sunny California for another little get together starting 6/29/2012 ;)
01/25/2012 06:00 AMPosted by Ishockucry
You all realize that the world is ending on december 21st 2012 right?

You sure it wasn't 12/12/12 that is the day the world is ending cause I thought I heard someone say that it was?
I see an awful lot of things "dying" on the Blizzard front since a certain little game was released. First subscriptions dying out, now the single biggest event from Blizzard each year cancelled....
I'd hate to bring up the topic again, but as time carries on and events take place, it gets easier to draw conclusions.
The force is not strong with WoW......
Just PLEASE broadcast the Battle.net event on DirectTV like you do Blizzcon, and offer a special pet, please. Most of us won't be able to travel to Asia to attend, but we'd like to watch... and we'd like a special pet! Thank you, that is all. ^_^
It's not like they would have anything to say worth listening to anyway. The last couple of Blizzcon's reflect Blizzards new-found business model perfectly. Boredom, fail, and disappointment are all that comes to mind.
I'm glad that you guys are not holding BlizzCon this year. 2010 was SOOO boring with no product announcements and with Cataclysm already in the final stages of beta, the panels were boring as well as we already knew everything and there was nothing new to discuss.

2011 was awesome though with all the Mists information as well as a few new things with D3 and information about Heart of the Swarm. If you guys had it this year, with D3 and Mists probably already out by then and probably Heart as well... it would have been another boring (ala BlizzCon 2010) show.

... and for someone that has been to all but one of the BlizzCon's... it's hilarious when people talk about the "storm of controversy" of BlizzCon 2011... there was none. I was there both days for the entire day... there was no backlash or controversy or anything. Not at the panels, not waiting in line for the demos, nothing. Lots of hot air from people who weren't even there.