No Blizzcon - Cancelled in 2012?!

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
01/25/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
WoW, that's pretty unbelievable. Since Blizzcon started have they ever missed a year like this? This is a mistake in my opinion, Blizzcon is a huge PR event and on the Warcraft side of things they can't afford to cancel things like this in my opinion.

I don't think they have ever missed a year. I'm dying to know what the real reason was for this being cancelled, because whatever it is has got to be really bad.
I was planning to go this year but I can wait until 2013. Since MoP, D3, and HotS will already be out, Titan can have a huge presence.
Pffft, they should still hold it for the contests, thats really the only thing I look forward to in blizzcon that and the pet for buying the on demand.
You all realize that the world is ending on december 21st 2012 right?

This

Have fun waiting for your end. I'll just loot your stuff and sell it so I can drive a new car in 2013.
01/25/2012 06:19 AMPosted by Videz
Pffft, they should still hold it for the contests, thats really the only thing I look forward to in blizzcon that and the pet for buying the on demand.

I will miss the dev chats, honestly. Though hopefully they can handle them in some other format, though some of the coolness of face to face communication will be lost.

Though hopefully that means less "how will you improve holy priest DPS" questions too.
01/25/2012 06:16 AMPosted by Chesÿre
Signs of company fail

Pretty much.
they couldnt afford to hold blizzcon probably b/c of the huge loss of subscribers who dropped from WoW.
01/25/2012 06:18 AMPosted by Berelythia
I don't think they have ever missed a year.

There was no '06 one.
If Blizzcons weren't pulling in enough cash, that would be reason enough to re-evaluate it as a priority.

That said, this really has me interested in the upcoming conference call.
01/25/2012 06:18 AMPosted by Twowolves
I was planning to go this year but I can wait until 2013. Since MoP, D3, and HotS will already be out, Titan can have a huge presence.

We have not heard a peep about MoP or HotS betas so they are a long, long way off. Do not count on HotS coming out this year, or the next, or the year after that even. I honestly expect that (HotS) to become vaporware, that they changed their minds and just went with turning it into SC3 which means development as a proper sequel... etc.

I haven't even heard a good theory as to why they just decided to up and cancel BlizzCon. That just kind of freaks me out because it signifies that they know or anticipate something that even someone as cynical as myself can't guess right now.

TBH they dont really have much to announce this year. MoP will be out by then most likely and Diablo 3 as well. Ive always just seen Blizzcon as a platform for announcing new stuff. While the contests are fun and stuff without a new xpac or game to announce no one really cares.
01/25/2012 06:24 AMPosted by Jagoex
If Blizzcons weren't pulling in enough cash, that would be reason enough to re-evaluate it as a priority.

Blizzcon tickets always sold out in, like, a matter of hours. Then they expanded to online, and their e-stores sold out in hours. It doesn't feel like a money problem.
01/25/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
Since Blizzcon started have they ever missed a year like this?

There was no Blizzcon 2006. There was never a guarantee of consecutive Blizzcons--folks just got used to it. They have enough stuff to actually get out the door as it is, so not having to deal with a convention only helps with the production schedule.
01/25/2012 06:12 AMPosted by Tikichicken
Good. Now they have time to book a proper musical performance and not some heavy metal garbage.

While Corpsegrinder was a special guest, the Tauren Chieftans are Blizz employees, and always play Blizzcon.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Level_90_Elite_Tauren_Chieftain
Yay, the one time of the year we actually get information out of this company has been cancelled.
01/25/2012 06:26 AMPosted by Hellpint
TBH they dont really have much to announce this year. MoP will be out by then most likely and Diablo 3 as well. Ive always just seen Blizzcon as a platform for announcing new stuff. While the contests are fun and stuff without a new xpac or game to announce no one really cares.

They can talk about HotS unless they have already decided to cancel that, they can talk about the D3 expansions and reception - Q@A for fans after they experienced the game, same for MoP and its upcoming content patches.

Yeah, they should have a full novel of things to do and discuss.
01/25/2012 06:18 AMPosted by Berelythia
WoW, that's pretty unbelievable. Since Blizzcon started have they ever missed a year like this? This is a mistake in my opinion, Blizzcon is a huge PR event and on the Warcraft side of things they can't afford to cancel things like this in my opinion.

I don't think they have ever missed a year. I'm dying to know what the real reason was for this being cancelled, because whatever it is has got to be really bad.

I think its a combo of 3 things.

1. They aren't ready to reveal Titan yet and all the major news for the time being was covered last year.

2. I am sure they probably are busy trying to get things out asap. D3 keeps having stuff scrapped from player feedback and you have a senior lead for the team being let go. The projects are probably off schedule by a wider margin then they are comfortable with.

3. Last years fiasco during the open question session. The fall out from it on the forums and through the entirity of the community wasn't pretty. I wouldn't be supprised if they decided to step back from Blizzcon and consider how they want to approach an open mic without risk of offending anyone with a similar situation. You know it will just come up again now that the cats out of the bag.

So all 3 rolled up together would make a fairly perfect storm of a reason to cancel a 2012 Blizzcon. I still feel like a sad panda. No pun intended.
I love how people try to make this out because of the sub loss.