Cataclysm PVP Feedback

Battlegrounds
Post Limit:
Prev 1 9 10 11 57 Next
I'd like to do rated PVP, but there's just a steep logistical barrier to entry. I don't have very good arena ratings, and I've never done 5s, but they're things I'd like to try. But I have a hard enough time just finding ONE other player to play with reliably for 2v2, I can't imagine trying to find 2 or 4 other people.

Rated BGs would be fun, too. But again, it's difficult to find a group. I've done non-rated BGs so much that I have little reason to do them. At this point, I can't get in a group at the level I think I can play because I don't have the rating or achievement for it, but if I get in a "low-MMR" RBG then, you know, I'm playing with low MMR players.

I'd like to suggest that there be such a thing as "random rated BGs", where you can queue for a rated individually and get but in a team with people (and an opposing team) of similar rating. This might be viable if people started using in-game voice chat. Or maybe not, who knows.
What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? (Things that are an inconvenience but don't significantly affect game play or balance)
BG weekends should be changed to BG Size instead of specific BG, queuing random but ending up playing Isle of Conquest 15 times in a row gets boring and becomes routine. Simply change it to 10v10, 15v15, 40v40 so there is a little mix each weekend.

What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like?
None really, WSG and AB are still my favorite.

What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?
The MMR reset was nice, wish they did that every season to be honest. Besides that, don't think there was much arena balanced this time around.

What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like?
Again, pvp kindof got the back burner this expansion.

What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?
Queuing up vs 8 hunters and 2 holy paladins. There has to be some class cap on BGs added, even at the cost of longer queues.

What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?
No quick balancing. Arena should be a separate part of the game in my opinion, removing the use of overpowered PvE items should come first to arena, because dying is obviously a much bigger concern in arena then BG. I can stomach getting crit for 50k by vial in BG, I'll wait for the rezzer, that's fine. But to have that happen in an Arena doesn't show skill what so ever. Blizzard should be open to making more changes that only effect Arena, it's not that confusing, take a look at spells like Blood Lust, people will manage.

What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?
World PvP needs to make a comeback and guards need to not exist. I flew into a zone just recently to do my stupid Coin of Ancestry achievement and without touching a single mob, person or NPC, 3 guards spawned to attack me. It's just ridiculous at this point.

What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to?
If there is a reason to world pvp again, that would be awesome., but aside from that, there's nothing concrete enough to get my hopes up, i'll wait for Beta.
I don't like PvP in Cataclysm. More to the point, I don't like PvP.

For those that do, all the power to them. I, however want to be left alone both by PvP players and by the balance issues that inevitably arise when aiming for very tight 2v2/3v3, etc balance.

Like many PvPers, I share the concern that gear from the other channel ends up crossing over to the other channel with far greater impact than it should. From my point of view this means:
a) anything which does burst stuff in pve needs to be limited so that it doesn't burst too much in pvp. Placing this artificial limit on pve gear is annoying and disappointing.
b) I continually end up grouped with people in pvp gear who are drastically under performing the pve content. PvP gear should not count towards iLvL requirements in regards to LFG/LFR requirements.

Fully separate gear. Make pve gear useless in pvp, and pvp gear useless in pave.

In order for me to gain the top currency in PvE, I need to find either 10 or 25 of my closest friends. In order advance in PvP you need only 1 or 2 friends. I fully believe that the game as a whole would be better served by moving the pvp model back to the pve model.

Make it so that to gain top pvp currency & gear, you need a team of 10 minimum. Make the Pug version award lower quality gear. Make anything with less than 10 people award the Tier lower of gear.

From a-non-pvp pve player perspective, the pvp advancement is easier (less people), and faster (less time), more convenient (smaller blocks of time), and more rewarding (higher ilvl). All of these points should be addressed.

I don't enjoy pvp, I'm certainly not very good at it. The discrepancy between pve and pvp makes me bitter of the pvp game as a whole. I also believe that class balance shouldn't be so finely aimed as 3v3 or 2v2 requires, as it ends up requiring homogenization rather than diversification, and this is a game with 30 classes.

I also keep seeing pvp players wanting more big battles.

Making the base conflict element of pvp 10v10 would be a good thing for them too.
i made a topic about it, if you could please take a look and send to someone from blizzard i would be very, VERY happy!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881723307

edit: what i don't like in arenas is that only good comps work out because some classes have insane CC and arenas benefit some classes like blade's edge and dalaran.

• What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? (Things that are an inconvenience but don't significantly affect game play or balance)

• Lack of attention holding rewards for world PvP.
    -Halaa, Wintergrasp and Tol'Barad style zones can be great (personal tastes not withstanding) as long as people are enticed to participate for rewards. With the current model the rewards for the daily quests, or participation in the event do not scale outside of the zone bosses.

In my opinion if some sort of player loot feature were added to world pvp, such as the insignias in battlegrounds but more valuable - Something along the lines of the old commendations - WPvP would be far more exciting for those who enjoy it. Ie; PvP kills that award honor in zones close to the WSG portal (Barrens, Ashenvale, Stonetalon) would award a WSG commendation that could be turned in for rep, or replica transmogrification gear.

This would also serve to entice players to actually go out and see the world that is in this game. All of the zones have an amazing feel to them, but they're very hard to enjoy after you've leveled out of them because there's no reason to be there.

Increasing the honor gain from PvP kills was a nice step forward, but looting something is a lot more exciting to a player than having it flash by in your combat log and go directly to a currency tab.

01/28/2012 12:56 PMPosted by Eldacar
  • What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like?

• Gilneas is fun. I enjoy the fast paced, hectic atmosphere. One brief slip up can win you the game, or pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

I also enjoy it because it is a small battleground. It is a small team size and a small map. I really dislike Isle of Conquest because it's just too big. There's so much wasted space on that map, and the 40v40 fights have never been very exciting for me.

• What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?

• None. Arena has been at an all time low.

• What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like?

• Tol'Barad was fun for awhile I guess?

• What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

• Queuing for battlegrounds (and dungeons for that matter) has shrunk the world down to one capital city once you're max level. Not having to journey anywhere for anything has emptied Azeroth of the majority of its player interaction for both friendly and enemy factions.

• What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?

• Removal of skirmishes. Does anyone use Wargames? Skirmishes were a great way to pass the time when your friends were not on, or not available. It was a great way to introduce yourself to arena on a new class, or even on your main if you're new. Skirmishes were a fantastically fun side-game, and a great learning tool. I'm sad every day when I log on and remember I can't do them.

Edit: Arena games are way too fast now. TBH I enjoyed Burning Crusade style arena where there was far more strategy involved to make a win. Now it's just Force a trinket & burst. :(

• What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?

• Item imbalance. No skirmishes. World has shrunk to Stormwind/Orgrimmar. No incentive for WPvP.

• What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to? (here is a summary of what is coming: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424795794 )

• The new talents could be quite interesting for PvP. No more "Oh that's a BM hunter. Can do X, Y, Z". - though some of them make me wince because I'm afraid they'll be either ridiculously over powered or completely neuter a class.

Resilience as a base state seems neat, and it may help ease the transition for players who are just entering PvP. But again, I worry that it may just encourage more "glass cannon" play style.

Murderball style battleground has potential, but I'll withhold judgement until I actually get to play it.
  • What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? (Things that are an inconvenience but don't significantly affect game play or balance)

• I would very much like it if the daily BG went the way of the daily dungeon and was changed to be a seven a week deal rather than once a day. That way if I'm really doing well that day, or I'm just bored, I can pound out all my points in one go.

• What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like?

• I liked that I can acquire a full set of PvP gear just from doing randoms. I also like that random BGs were changed to give conquest points.

• What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?

• I never entered an arena prior to Cataclysm, so I couldn't say.

• What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like?

• As a paladin I'd like to profusely thank whoever designed our Season sets this expansion (though come to think of it the ones in Wrath were pretty nice too), especially this most recent set. Paladin sets get a lot of flak, and I'm often one of the people providing said flak, but I think our PvP sets have been at the very least decent, and this season's is quite possibly the best set in the game ever.

• What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

• Battle for Gilneas is not terribly fun. The extremely small scale of it means that it lacks much of the fluid give and take of Arathi Basin, and I've noticed the battle has a bad habit of being decided in the first two minutes.

I'm also not a big fan of Tol Barad. Not only is the gameplay essentially a zergfest, but I don't really like the idea behind the world BGs anyways (I don't think PvE content should be reliant on PvP and vice-versa).

• What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?

• See my earlier comment on arenas.

• What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?

• A wee bit too much of a focus on CC. I don't particularly enjoy losing control of my character as much as I have in Cataclysm.

• What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to? (here is a summary of what is coming: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3424795794 )

• The new battlegrounds look cool, and the fact they are new types of BGs rather than modifications of existing game types like we got in Cataclysm is reassuring.
    i made a topic about it, if you could please take a look and send to someone from blizzard i would be very, VERY happy!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881723307

edit: what i don't like in arenas is that only good comps work out because some classes have insane CC and arenas benefit some classes like blade's edge and dalaran.
    make the 100 conquest point acquirable 7 times like what you did in random dungeons rather than doing it like a daily chore
    What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?

Que for a battleground and enter with a minute to go. Win or loss it still blows.

You enter, mount, ride to a flag, end match.. like I would rather wait that minute longer on the que in org or out questing.
    So much great feedback in this thread, I love it, keep it up guys!
    Well, I don't have much to say because I don't have THAT many issues with PvP. A few things though:

1. I think a straight damage/healing/absorb reduction in lower level BGs is a GREAT idea. Do it Blizzard. Just do it. Also add some really cheap PvP gear sets at lower levels (the ones in front of the BG entrances are really not enough) so people can compete against those in heirlooms.
    2. Rated BGs are incredibly fun. INCREDIBLY. More BGs for it would be nice, maybe more than one type to queue for as well (10 player, 25 player?).
    3. PvE weapons in PvP... I don't have much of an issue with it (I mean PvE items have ALWAYS been a part of PvP) but I think it hurts people who don't have time to do PvE. I think resilience just needs to scale linearly, no more diminishing returns on it because it's currently at the point where if you have full conquest gear you'll have around 5k resil. Drop two pieces of PvP gear and you lose out on 3% or 4% damage reduction in exchange for maybe a 10-15% increase in damage. Make it scale linearly and it will be a meaningful decision more along the lines of, "Do I want to take 7% less damage, or DO 7% more damage?"
    4. I think it would be cool if tanks had more of a support role in PvP. Skills like safeguard, blood parasite, hand of sacrifice, divine guardian, and all the variations of demoralizing shout are good examples. Sure, healers obviously have a huge support role, but I think tanks should have another role in PvP aside from standing on the flag AoEing or carrying the flag then not dying for 5 minutes.
    Honestly from a arena and RBG perspective it was pretty good for S9 and S10

Blizzard needs to reset teams mmr and rating some people cheated their ways to the Blizzcon tournament and Rank 1 and Gladiator En masse.

Micro patches need to occur that balance some more abilities out for pvp similiar to collouss smash nerf. Where an ability just does less in PvP than in PvE instead of letting flavor of the month occur for a whole patch.

RBG rating wise is fine however DO NOT BRING BACK STRAND OF THE ANCIENTS please im begging you!

Kill multi-boxing its not fun at all or make some type of thing that nerfs it so its killable when 30 multi-boxed toons defend the keep in IoC....
    1. What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? (Things that are an inconvenience but don't significantly affect game play or balance)

Though it's a bit more than an inconvenience, my biggest issue is the fact that PvP is balanced around 3v3 arenas. I play this game for PvP and PvP only, but my preferred format is random BGs, and most often alone. My favorite character, Warlock, is so balanced around their synergy in arenas with Shamans etc that I often feel like my effectiveness alone is pathetic compared to other classes (yes, I have other classes and play them and still feel this way)

2. What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like?

Absolutely love Twin Peaks and Battle for Gilneas. I was always hoping for some more bgs like that and was happy that they were implemented and still am.

3. What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like?

I can tell you what I dislike, although this dates back to WotLK, but just the fact that 2v2 is no longer an acceptable bracket. That was the only part of arenas that I truly enjoyed.

4. What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like?

I like that everyone can get a full set of PvP gear without having to do arenas. Not everyone who enjoys PvP plays exclusively for arenas. This makes the game a lot more accessible and fun for me and many people that I know. I also like Tol Barad, although the mechanics are flawed, it's nice still to have a world PvP zone and questing hub, and I hope that they wheel out even more in the future. I absolutely love things like Wintergrasp/TB, as well as just general PvP oriented areas like the towers in Hellfire Peninsula etc!

5. What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

Bot's are pretty annoying and I think healing is a bit too gamebreaking, especially when there are more than 4 healers on a team it just sucks away the fun and sport of it.

6. What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm?

I don't really have much to say about this except that I don't enjoy it.

7. What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm?

It seems like everyone is a 2400 player nowadays and it is almost impossible to get into any half decent rated battleground, something I've always wanted to take part in but never get a chance to because I don't have any rating. Yet I am a much better player than several people who magically have 2400+ ratings and I am almost positive that most of them are paying the R1 players for carries. I'd really like to have an opportunity to play more rated battlegrounds and not have to be forced to play with people who barely understand the basics of the game because I don't have Gladiator/Grand Marshal already.

That about does it. Hope this post gets read and my opinion valued at the very least.
    In general, PvP improved dramatically in this expansion. The resilience changes, the honor/conquest system, the increased healer population (although random), and Twin Peaks...my favorite battleground.

But the one thing about PvP that drives me insane is the control. No matter what class you play, no matter what role you fulfil, control is annoying. I'm not referring to the occaisional stun either; I'm talking about being chain-CC'd. Frozen, sheeped, stunned, silenced, feared...DEAD. It's just not fun. Keep giving some classes this much CC *cough* rogues and mages *cough* that we'll be begging for 1 minute trinkets in MoP.

The world of PvP is not based around 1v1 combat. As such, CC shouldn't be either. In other words, all CC effects (not slows) should share a DR for your own class. I would venture to suggest a shared DR for multiple players on the same target as well, but I'm sure that will never happen.
    01/28/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Eldacar
    Not nearly as entertaining as WG. I am disappointed to here that there will not be a similar zone in MoP

I have got to say I am personally glad they are not doing another Wintergrasp/TB. They are basically an outdoor Battleground that only last for one expansion. I would MUCH rather have that time and those resources devoted to building a new BG that will be a permanent addition.

WPvP
    Many of us are disappointed at the neglect of WPvP. Please do your best in MoP to encourage it (rewards) and not discourage it like you did in Cata (excessive guard spam)

I have got high hopes for WPVP in Mists, they seem to be moving towards encouraging natural world PVP (pushing players together in quest areas, limiting flying, competing for mobs). I think that is the best direction to go in, artificial/scripted world PVP like TB just doesn't have the same feel IMO. They are also trying to push people out into the world more at lvl cap, NPC's are supposed to be scattered around in small poorly guarded settlements rather than all in one fortress of a hub city, which is great. Having world bosses out and about like old school Azergos will be great too.

what blizzard should do on pvp realms for world pvp(not sure if they should add to normal or rp) is alliance and horde should be able to take over places in contested territory's. like rebels camp for example.

little white flags will appear on places to take over. when they are taken over the players get rewarded honor or conquest pts if there not capped. if a bunch of lowbies take over a place(guards at there lvl not 85s ffs and more guards will not spawn after killing an npc) they will be rewarded with experience. pvp realm players should lvl in pvp.

instead of guards spawning. the closest allaince/horde major city will send in reinforcements to take the place back after the players take it over(more realistic). you will see blue dots (alliance) and red dots (horde). which are units of footman/grunts/rifleman/axethrowers/mages/warlocks/knight(allaince captain) warmaster(horde captain) etc. if the place your taking over is far they will ride on flying mounts (which applys to outland,northrend, and cata as well) the units will depend on the race and what major city they are closest to. the longer the enemy controls the area. the harder the units get and the more honor they give.
    What are your biggest PVP related quality of life issues? Susceptibility and prevalence of cc's
    What Cataclysm BG changes/additions did you like? Rated BGs are awesome but it might of been too little too late most of the old school bg teams like from Vanilla are now long gone as is the play for objectives style that entailed
    What Cataclysm Arena changes/additions did you like? Readdition of ogrimmar arena
    What Cataclysm General PVP changes/additions did you like? None really
    What are your top issues with Battlegrounds in Cataclysm? Tanks are TOO tanky
    What are your top issues with Arenas in Cataclysm? The same op classes still dominate not allowing other classes to compete. There are almost no melee in any tournaments and when their are they are dks and even THEY get shut down HARD
    What are your top issues with General PVP in Cataclysm? CC's are too strong and there are too many of them
    What already announced Mists PVP changes/additions are you most looking forward to? Giving more tools to warriors