More then one pet out at a time...???

New Player Help and Guides
Hey,
I'm relatively new in WOW and I'm curious about the pets. I know you are allowed to have up to 5 "Active" pets, depending on your level of course, and then a bunch in a stable. So that's fine, I've learned where to find all of that and I am now at the point where I can have another pet (other then my white tiger given level 1) and have learned how to tame in order to have the second pet (two available slots). My problem is... when I read "Active" pet I assumed that meant I could actually have the two pets out with me at the same time fighting together. Me and two cats following. Is this not the case? I was trying to get them both out but it will only let me have one cat out at a time and I have to dismiss one in order for the other to come out. I am disappointed with this. Unless of course I'm doing it wrong, but I have seen other Night Elves walking with more then one creature following them. Unless of course those creatures are falling into a different category....I have seen the word companion floating about.
Active pet means a pet that you can call at any time. When you're 85 you can have 5 active pets. This doesn't mean you can have 5 out at once but it does mean that you can dismiss one and call another of the 5 without having to trek back to a stable (something you had to do before Cata).

So in short, no you can only have 1 pet out at a time.
If it says companion instead of pet, it is not the same as a hunter pet. A companion is just a vanity "pet" that will follow you around and look pretty.
02/02/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Tempestuous
Unless of course those creatures are falling into a different category....I have seen the word companion floating about.

Yes, those are companion pets, which anyone can have (not just hunters). As others have stated, you will soon have the ability to have 5 "active" pets from which you can call any one of them without having to see a stable master. You can have up to 25 in your stable. I always try to keep one active slot open so that I can tame a new pet, in case I come across a rare spawn.

I hope you are enjoying your hunter. They are a blast to play and lots of fun.

EDIT: I just took a quick glance at your gear. As a hunter, intellect is not useful for you, neither is spirit or strength. Agility will be the stat that you want above all others. Attack power, critical strike rating, hit rating, and haste rating are also good, and stamina increases your health. These are good and you need them, but look for agility primarily. Once you get your gear replaced with agility pieces, you should notice a big difference.

You can wear leather gear for now so try to get leather pieces. At level 40, you will learn mail specialization from your trainer. So at level 40 and beyond, begin replacing all of your leather gear with mail. When you are finally wearing all mail pieces, you will get a 5% increase in agility which is a nice boost.
I feel your pain.

I also was wooed to the career by the thought of a passel of pets (passel = a mini-pack) accompanying me and answering to my beck and call. But, alas! It is not to be! That said, my one faithful companion acquits herself pretty well on her own.

Just worth mentioning that high-level shaman get *2* spirit wolves as pets, but they are temporary. The cd isn't too long, and sometimes you can even summon them more than once in a boss fight! I think you get the ability around level 80 …
Thank you all for responding - your information has been very helpful. I am really enjoying the game so far; it's so vast and I love that there are other people playing too. It's like Zelda on steroids lol. I am a little disappointed about passel inability but I will say I love my white tiger and that relationship seems to be working out quite well.
Thanks guys.
<3 <3 <3 "Passel inability"

ur the best, Tempestuous! Come run with me on Muradin!

(plus, u have a rockin' name!!!)
02/02/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Liaeatha
Just worth mentioning that high-level shaman get *2* spirit wolves as pets, but they are temporary. The cd isn't too long, and sometimes you can even summon them more than once in a boss fight! I think you get the ability around level 80 …

Just for reference, the spirit wolves are from the Feral Spirit talent, the last talent in the Enhancement spec. So the wolves are available at level 69 to enhancement shamans (and not at all to restoration or elemental shamans).
Thanks! I tried to be creative lol. I'm making an attempt to continue that with my pets' names.
What is Muradin?
Muradin is Magni Bronzebeards younger brother. Also is a server name.