General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 35 Next
I think blizzard has earned our trust in releasing the best expansion possible. Like Zar said, there are plenty of people who still enjoy this game for what it is and are extremely excited about whats to come. Im exstatic that soon I'll get to try out a brand new healing class. Panda's wont ruin MOP, Pet battles wont ruin MOP, and the new talent system won't ruin it.

Why bring up SWTOR? Plenty of new MMO's have come and gone, SWTOR wont be any different. And hey, if it sticks around, great! The competition can only drive Blizzard to go farther with Wow.

If you are worried about the direction blizzard is going then pay attention to the news releases and let them know what your concerns are, constructively ofcourse, so they can know what the community is worried about.

Haters gunna hate blizz, but you bet I'll be around longer than my dedicated year subscription.

Having said all that, yesterday we discussed low-population and faction-imbalanced realms with our developers. They have some pretty bold and spectacular plans for addressing this in anticipation of implementing some of the features we plan to in Mists. I just don't have a lot of information to share with you at this stage of programming and development.

Now, let's speak to each other like adults (or at least decent human beings), shall we? It's much easier to communicate with you when you're not just trying to make a fuss wherever you might get an employee's attention. :)

With all due respect Zar, communication goes both ways, this is the firt time anyone from Blizzard has even acknowledged the issue of dieing servers. Part of communicating like adults as you put it is not ignoring an issue until people lose it.
I want what you're on. They ARE totally going for populist appeal. The new talent system appears to be designed so you don't have to know ANYTHING about how to play your class, they hacked us a bit 4.0, and are now going for the killing blow.

The new talent system will give you 6 optional talents. At the moment DPS characters have 1 or 2 optional talents. Tanks and healers have 2 or 3. The new talent system will give more choice.

This is due to the cookie cutter specs. At the moment you don't have to know anything about your class, all you have to do is copy those specs. For dps classes, the theorycrafters have worked out precisely which specs give more dps, and theres very little room to deviate from them. Tanks and healers have a little more wriggle room - but not much.

You mentioned Enveloping Shadows, most pve sub rogues have to skip that talent because its a dps loss. Even on aoe heavy fights you have to skip it because your only job as dps is to maximize your dps whatever it takes.
02/02/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
Having said all that, yesterday we discussed low-population and faction-imbalanced realms with our developers. They have some pretty bold and spectacular plans for addressing this in anticipation of implementing some of the features we plan to in Mists. I just don't have a lot of information to share with you at this stage of programming and development.

Then you probably then talked about some servers such as Illidan which is literally 90% Horde (http://wow.realmpop.com/us-illidan.html); while other servers don't even have 20k characters (http://wow.realmpop.com/us-chromaggus.html). Server imbalance can be quite a problem but really there should be fixes for these imbalances. Whether it is migrating players, merging servers etc. I know one of the main reason Illidan is so popular is due to the popularity of PvE is on that server.

PS:

If you think the site I linked to is just a site that has people use a mod or something to get their info, think again. It actually uses Blizzard's public tools to get the info (Blue post approved):

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3941416624#2
02/02/2012 04:06 PMPosted by Jackjagalos

You mean Star Wars?

They only have 1.7 million now.

Anyway, I'd love to see what Zarhym has for us for Valentine's Day.

That was 1.7 million from december 31st from what I was hearing, and from then on it has been at a 5% decline for every week.

If you heard that from Vorps (the OP of this thread) or one of his many alts, discount it entirely, even the creator of the tool he used as 'evidence' called him out on falsifing and misrepresenting data.
I know one of the main reason Illidan is so popular is due to the popularity of PvE is on that server.

Nah, people just think that being in the same server as Blood Legion will make them better at raiding.

I call that a Horde mentality.

*ba-dum TSHHH*
I love this game. I love the company.

I can't wait for the pandas and the asian theme. Monks, and a new spin on combo point. Maybe I can replace my pally tank/heals with a kickboxing bear! How can you not be excited about that?

Cata was great, it was a little more difficult than I thought would have been fun. Turns out, that I just want to run a dungeon in 20-30 minutes and be done. I think extra difficulty should be an option for those that want a challenge, but I think that the initial difficulty was a too rough. The 4.3 dungeons feel about right. I like that I can hope on with guildies or even strangers and down the big bad guy.

The only thing that I'm worried about in MoP is how much sense the story is going to make without a big bad boss guy. If anything though, it will be different.

I am very excited to hear what details can be share about how the expansion is coming along. As excited as I am, I don't think I'll be able to resist playing the beta. I'm gonna try though. I don't want to spoil it. :)
I could be wrong - but the new talent system strikes me as an improvement. I prefer just being able to pick out my own talents rather then read some guide for the optimal set up.. And I think you do have some fun combos out there..

You get a ton of baseline abilities with your class and then again with your spec - so those extra talents really do add some fun. I believe Blizz when they say they decided the talent system just wasn't working..

(this being said they should look at the glyph system in Tera - very innovative).

OTOH I truly think that SWTOR gets way to much hype for being a carbon copy of BC mechanics version of WoW. If any game cried out for a more modern targetting system its star wars..

Instead we get a tab + hotkey system for DPS/tanking and a click + grid system for healing. Hello is this 2005?! It's supposedly a brand new game with last decades mechanics.. Healing is going to be a big problem for them - just like WoW. It's just not a rewarding mechanic in hot key MMOs.
Zarhym, I hope you see some of these comments and many of the recent comments of fuss as how excited we actually are of the expansion. (Sometimes the fuss is blatant fuss this is true). But a very large majority of the community have not been happy with Cataclysm and are just excited to see you guys have a fresh new start, WE JUST WANT TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING! :D. We just don't have enough patience that's all. We haven't heard anything new since august about MoP and are just wondering what is happening behind the scenes besides "great and awesome stuff". I know it's a lot of business that goes into not letting us know too much too soon. But ANYTHING of value that's new we will love :D

But anyways, i'm excited to see what you guys have in store for us and i CANNOT WAIT until the beta.
Asians FTW.
02/02/2012 04:07 PMPosted by Deldruid
Server imbalance can be quite a problem but really there should be fixes for these imbalances. Whether it is migrating players, merging servers etc. I know one of the main reason Illidan is so popular is due to the popularity of PvE is on that server.

Arbitrary forced movement of players isn't going to happen. Its going to be player-driven movement or none at all.
Here's some very easy things Blizzard could do to make customers happy:

1. Create a dedicated dueling area for horde and alliance. Nothing fancy, just some LOS, no trees to block view, no very small dueling area that gives you a message if you kite a short distance, stuff like that. Could be coded very quickly.

2. Give holy paladins and enhance shamans the same REAL access to another spec that the other specs have by simply allowing refunds of, say, pvp plate intellect gear for pvp plate strength gear, and vice versa. This could be done by using the same code that allows a 90 minute refund period for gear.

Why should a disc priest be able to dps as shadow with a quick reforge but holy paladins have to grind bgs for a week just to get gear that isn't nearly as good as what you can get from arena? Make this change and you've suddenly got some very happy shaman and paladin customers.
To all you people complaining about your server being dead or low population, seriously, just TRANSFER! Don't wait for blizzard to fix the damn problem, take matters into your own hands.
02/01/2012 07:46 PMPosted by Vorps
More of a hypothesis than a theory, but I think MoP will be the turning point. 4.3 is the end of the Post-BC era.

You mean more like the developers realizing that not everyone wants group based content and the developers cant just expect to shove everyone into raiding and toss gear at them to make them happy? The post BC era ended halfway into WotLK, Cata was based on WotLK and focused heavily on streamlining players into raiding regardless of them wanting to raid or not. What is it that 4.3 really did other than deliver underwhelming group based content that is designed to be done by players who have no interest in group based content?
delete