How to upgrade gear???

New Player Help and Guides
Well, I did something stupid and would like to share, so that others will not do the same thing that I did.

I had a level 85 "friend" me and would periodically review my gear and tell me that I really needed to "upgrade". He would then run me through some dungeons and let me loot several boxes for new gear and prizes. It was fun and exciting and I thought he was a very nice friend, and one of those "special" WOW gamers who wanted to teach "newbys" about the game. One day he asked me for 500.00 in gold and promised he would "pay it back tomorrow". Of course I dug into my meager bank savings at the time and gave him 500 in gold. I have never heard from my "mentor" since....

So, how does one upgrade their gear. I know that my character should have gear with a focus on agility and that I can now wear armor, but wear do I find these items? I look at the AH, but it seems overpriced there. Do I do random dungeons that are available at my level? It seems that when I do them, I don't really have time to analyse the quality of the gear to know if I really need of greed it. All so confusing....This newby is disappointed and confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
02/05/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Alobolo
I had a level 85 "friend" me and would periodically review my gear and tell me that I really needed to "upgrade". He would then run me through some dungeons and let me loot several boxes for new gear and prizes. It was fun and exciting and I thought he was a very nice friend, and one of those "special" WOW gamers who wanted to teach "newbys" about the game. One day he asked me for 500.00 in gold and promised he would "pay it back tomorrow". Of course I dug into my meager bank savings at the time and gave him 500 in gold. I have never heard from my "mentor" since....

Sorry about you experience there.And is this guy in your realm anymore or did he realm switch???
I dont know if this is something you can report to blizz but if it is someone else will post saying if it is or not.

02/05/2012 05:05 PMPosted by Alobolo
So, how does one upgrade their gear. I know that my character should have gear with a focus on agility and that I can now wear armor, but wear do I find these items? I look at the AH, but it seems overpriced there. Do I do random dungeons that are available at my level? It seems that when I do them, I don't really have time to analyse the quality of the gear to know if I really need of greed it. All so confusing....This newby is disappointed and confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now about this i suggest you do not buy gear of the AH because that will just get replaced in the next few levels so it's not worth buying it.Specially since prices are not that low. So in my opinion no do not buy off AH it's a waste of money knowing that the gear will be replaced in the future levels. Also don't worry about having the best armor since you will not get that into you hit cap level. Right now you will just keep getting upgrades of what you already have through dungeons and quest. By when you hit 85 you should get gear of normal cata. dungeons to be able to do heroics. When you do heroics is to get gear to do some raids. Then those raids will give you gear for Dragon Soul raid. But what you can do for now tough is just use dungeon finder go in a dungeon and look at what gear drops. If you are able to use it and has better stats then what you recently have on then that would be a upgrade.

Edit: It gives you like 10 minutes to see the gear(i think someone correct me if i'm wrong).But you don't want to spend to much time looking at the gear. First make sure you can wear it. Most likely go for mail armor tough leather can help to. Then look at the stats. if they are better then what you have one. Make sure they're stats you need tough or the group will think you are going to ninja loot everything if you need on something with wrong stats, or they will make a big deal about it. After this you will just get the hang of it and you yourself will be able to tell if what drops is a upgrade to what you have on. Hope this helps.
OP: When the item pops up in dungeons for a roll, hover (or is it click?) your mouse over the icon while holding "shift". This will pop up 2 boxes, one with the stats of the item you are rolling on, and one with the sats of the item you already have in that slot.
Sorry to hear about what happened to you. Not all people in wow are trustworthy but many are. Don't let that one experience put you off. You can and should report that person particularly if arrangements were made to exchange the gold in chat. Blizzard logs chat and can take action if you are able to provide sufficient detail (time it happened and name of the toon).

Here's a quick run down on knowing whether to need or greed in a dungeon for you:

1. Can you equip the item? (if you can't it will show up in red when you mouseover the item - e.g it will say "plate" in red). If NO roll greed (money), if YES go to 2a.

2a. If it's armor, is it mail? (At this stage you probably don't want to equip leather or cloth and you should be aiming to transition to full mail by the time you hit level 50 (it will give you a big boost to your primary stat - agility). If NO roll greed, if YES go to 2b.

2b. If it's a weapon, is it a one hander or a two hander? (If it's a one hander do you have a good offhand item to pair with it? It might be easier to simply go for two-handers at this stage as that way you won't have to worry about keeping 2 items up to date.) IF NO roll greed, if YES go to 3.

3. Does it increase your main important stat - agility? (Use Avanna's method above to determine this) If NO roll greed, if YES, roll need (dice).

It really is that simple. You can use the same process to work out which quest rewards to choose. If none of the quest rewards are an upgrade choose the one that will bring you the most coin when you vendor it.

While you are levelling it really isn't that important to make sure all your gear is updated at all times. With dungeons and quest rewards you should be turning over most gear every 5 or so levels but sometimes you can be unlucky and do quests which don't offer upgrades and end up with an item that's 10 levels out of date. Don't worry too much about that as long as most of your gear is roughly up to date it won't make much of a difference.
Thank you all so much--what great help you have been!!. I appreciate all the time you guys have taken to help me with this issue.

One other question--I know that the person who took gold from me is doing the same to others--he surrounds himself with newbies and his character is an 85 priest. So he makes himself seem like a trustworthy, friendly, kind soul. What is the best way to warn other players? I know it is all "play money", but to a newby, that is a big chuck of gold, that they have worked hard to get.

How do I put a warning out there for others??
Well name and shame is against the forum CoC but you could potentially let his guild leader know what he's doing. If he's an active raider he won't want his GL mad at him. Also sending a whisper to others that could fall victim might not be bad.

Lastly I'd submit a ticket. Explain clearly that you know Blizzard cannot/will not give you your gold back because it's an unsupported transaction, but you think he's scamming several others this way. They can investigate and may do something about it as well.