WOW LAUNCHER DOESN'T WORK - MONTH 6

Mac Technical Support
My internet connection is fine, though it has had issue with downloading certain client from Blizzard for a while, but anyways...

I got the Optimization downloading/what-say-you message and let it do it's business (EG: had no background windows at all, just had the launcher running).
It was really freaking slow, so when the bar stopped moving even in the slightest I didn't pay attention until I came back to it now, four hours later.

So it's not really frozen, it's just... not doing anything. :I
I've countless problems with WoW's launcher and as you might imagine it's both tiring and frustrating, though I think I've come to the point where I'm going "Typical. Yup. Great."
Try checking the permissions on the wow folder :

Select the wow folder in the finder and go Command - I (or Right Click -> Get Info or File ->Get Info)

On the bottom right hand corner is a small golden lock. Click and put in an Admin username and password. It will unlock to denote changes can be made.

Next in the section on the bottom "Sharing & Permissions" make sure all the pop up menus under the Privilege are all set to "Read & Write"

Next go to the control on the bottom left hand side (3rd from the Left). It's got a little icon of a cogwheel. Press it to make a little pop up come up and select "Apply to enclosed items". This will apply the permissions to the files inside.

Just close the Get Info window when done.

Then open from the Launcher.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
I have done the permissions thing, no change.
I have done the permissions thing each and every single time I have an issue with the launcher.

Which is every damn time I try to open it.

And there is no change.

(Stuck between a "why the $%#$ am I still paying for this game and $%*@ing great, I have to wait another whole damn year to get the items I missed from events due to an issue that isn't even my fault x___x)
I have done the permissions thing, no change.
I have done the permissions thing each and every single time I have an issue with the launcher.

The instructions above or repair permissions ?

Because Repair Permissions isn't the same thing as what I've outlined above - wow isn't installed via installer.app so can't help with permissions on the wow folder.

Are you on an admin user ?

Super late reply, but yes, I assure you I have done the above as instructed, as well as dozens of different times since it's the first thing I am told to do prior to moving down the checklist of issues that overall are seemingly unrelated to mine. D:

Still can't launch the game at all.
Hmm.

Do you have anyone local that plays wow ?

You might be able to copy the Data folder of their wow folder and replace yours with theirs.

You may want to also try running a repair disk to make sure your HDD is good, and is able to write data properly.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
If you can try the Launcher again, what info is shown in the Connection Info window? Also, are you running any anti-virus software or security software (sophos, etc)? Those definitely interfere with the Launcher and should be disabled during any patch/optimization process.
Unfortunately I don't have anyone that plays locally at the moment, and would prefer not to wait until summer vacation to get the launcher to work.

Repaired disk permission on my HDD, still no change.

I don't have any anti-virus programs up or running and have set any adblocking add-ons to accept anything Blizzard/WoW related, though when I went to the connection info window this particular time, it's straight zeros.
So your Launcher's connection info window has IP addresses listed with all zeros for the speed? I would copy one of the IPs that shows up (preferrably the HTTP entry that shows up in the connection info window when downloading) and do a traceroute to it. You might find that there is something happening at a certain point along the network or your ISP's outgoing path to the internet.

Here is the Blizzard support article relating to port forwarding, should you not have a UPnP capable router or have UPnP disabled:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/firewall-configuration-for-blizzard-games

Make sure that if you don't have UPnP enabled that those ports are open to your computer (forwarded in the router's port forwarding tables).
Unfortunately I don't have anyone that plays locally at the moment, and would prefer not to wait until summer vacation to get the launcher to work.

I don't have any anti-virus programs up or running and have set any adblocking add-ons to accept anything Blizzard/WoW related, though when I went to the connection info window this particular time, it's straight zeros.

Did you try the article? It should tell you have to run a repair disk, which is different than repair disk permissions.

Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
Ahh, excuse my obliviousness/scatterbrain: the connection info doesn't even list IP addresses. The Local Address, Public Address, Peer ID, and Download Hash are blank.
It might just be better I show a screenshot:
http://i40.tinypic.com/1hcb5e.png

So your Launcher's connection info window has IP addresses listed with all zeros for the speed? I would copy one of the IPs that shows up (preferrably the HTTP entry that shows up in the connection info window when downloading) and do a traceroute to it. You might find that there is something happening at a certain point along the network or your ISP's outgoing path to the internet.

Here is the Blizzard support article relating to port forwarding, should you not have a UPnP capable router or have UPnP disabled:

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/firewall-configuration-for-blizzard-games

Make sure that if you don't have UPnP enabled that those ports are open to your computer (forwarded in the router's port forwarding tables).

Yes, I tried the article.

Did you try the article? It should tell you have to run a repair disk, which is different than repair disk permissions.

You could also try deleting and download wow from blizzard. This would "clean up your install"
02/24/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Korbendallas
You could also try deleting and download wow from blizzard. This would "clean up your install"

Unfortunately, I'll have to enthusiastically pass on that. D: I've reinstalled the game three times, alternating between downloading from Blizzard and using my own copies. (And in the long run downloading it from Blizzard took longer @___@). But thank you for the suggestion.
Ugh.
Well, I can also confirm that it is not my internet connection that is the issue.
I went to a friend's house who has perfect internet connection, and the WoW Updater still did not work.
I'm assuming here that the bar that stops moving across the launcher window is red and not blue ?

And all this is during the File Optimization process ?

At this stage I'm going to need to see all your logs from your wow folder as well as a copy of the output from the console.

Go in your wow folder and zip up your logs folder and upload it somewhere and give the link here.

Then go into Applications / Utilities open Console.app. Set it to all messages on the LHS. In the file menu there should be an option to save or export it. Zip up the file that gets output and upload that somewhere as well.

If you wanting to keep the details of this all private your welcome to email me at bluespacecow@gmail.com

Sigh.... Fine, I'll see what I can do.

To be honest, though, I'm kind of starting to consider just canceling my WoW. This is too much horsesh** to put up with just to get the game to run on a computer that is, in theory, way over qualified to do so.

As you can well and see, I have yet to get a character up to level 85 because I keep running into these !@#$%^- issues, and I've put up with this for years. :/
One other thing I would try is perhaps booting up into safe mode and try to run the launcher and see if it finishes the process now.

Repair Disk via Safe Boot
    1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
    2. Press the power button.
    3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
    4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress bar (in 10.5, it looks like a spinning gear).
    5. After you get to the User Account Login screen, log in and start the launcher. To leave Safe Mode afterwards, just restart your Mac.

All right while I hate to bump this, my problem is still otherwise remaining unsolved.

I attempted to do the Safe Boot, after clearly much deliberation since I am really, really, REALLY tired of dealing with this, and it had absolutely no effect on the launcher.
Thanks for follow-up and I apologize about any frustrations you have had. I do not believe I've seen any system specifications posted for your Mac, can you post them?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)

I'm not big on boasting, but you might have to take a victory lap.