February 15 Update to Mists Talent Calculator

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 20 21 22 76 Next
02/15/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Jemmy
The description for spirit sheel seems contradictory. It says that the shell lasts until cancelled, but then goes on to say if the shell is untouched and expires it will heal back 80% of the aborb value. How can it expire if it lasts until cancelled? Does the healing only occur if the shell is cancelled by the target?

When abilities aren't fleshed out, they usually say "until cancelled', meaning that after the (unknown) duration has ended. So they haven't picked a duration yet, and the "until cancelled" is just a placeholder, that's usually how it works if I'm not mistaken.
This Warlock stuff is poop...what the hell is Demonic Fury....Comb-points or some crap ??

I can't believe we only get six choices and all the rest is force fed throught the trainer...6 choices Really ?

SWTOR here I come

Demonic Fury is a resources system created for Demonology that acts as the mana bar for your abilities while in Meta which is the form that demonology will want to be in as much as possible. They are not combo points as they do not stack on a target. They are more akin to rage in that attacking normally will increase the fury you have then you spend it in meta.
Divine Star could be interesting, but I wouldn't choose it at the expense of Archangel, which increases the power of my Mind Spike, Mind Blast, and Mind Flay - Critical DPS spells. Though I'm disappointed that even Archangel seems to have been nerfed, as it has (apparently) lost the instant mana regen in battle that it currently has, and which I find insanely useful for keeping up steady damage (the average priest spell costs about twice the mana of an average mage spell based on the new tree's numbers).

Void Shift might also be interesting, but I'm not convinced of it's utility except to save me if I draw aggro (bad dps! bad!) and get whoever I switched with mad haha. Now if the switchee got a shield or hyped up dps as the cost for switching, it could be more interesting.
This Warlock stuff is poop...what the hell is Demonic Fury....Comb-points or some crap ??

I can't believe we only get six choices and all the rest is force fed throught the trainer...6 choices Really ?

SWTOR here I come

It looks like energy to me, which I'm not keen on either. Destro looks like it either has shadow orbs or a type of combo point. They've got 3 different resources systems, one for each spec - for a class that is apparently already too complex to play and thus has low player numbers, it seems to exacerbate the situation.

The restriction in aoe spells appears to give destro the only multipurpose aoe, Seed and Hellfire are limted by encounter design.

Affliction gets a channeled cast to replace shadowbolt and appears to have lost any burst damage capability they had.
I love the new shaman tree so far the only thing im worried about elemental doesn't have a burst now that elemental mastery(spell) is gone. I also don't see telluric currents for resto, this is my favorite talent and my mana regen pretty much for healing will we be getting something to replace that or ?
02/15/2012 05:29 PMPosted by Flintte
The description for spirit sheel seems contradictory. It says that the shell lasts until cancelled, but then goes on to say if the shell is untouched and expires it will heal back 80% of the aborb value. How can it expire if it lasts until cancelled? Does the healing only occur if the shell is cancelled by the target?

When abilities aren't fleshed out, they usually say "until cancelled', meaning that after the (unknown) duration has ended. So they haven't picked a duration yet, and the "until cancelled" is just a placeholder, that's usually how it works if I'm not mistaken.

that would explain the 'until cancelled' on the warlock Burning Rush talent. It takes health until cancelled, which means another way for locks to kill themselves if they aren't careful :)
Warrior questions [Prot perspective]:

1. Double Time: would the first use of Charge not trigger the CD [normally 20 seconds] and put a buff/debuff on you lasting 20 seconds that makes the next Charge trigger the CD? If it doesn't have some sort of reset, it could be a lot to track between fights [am I on my free charge, or will this one trigger the CD?

2. Level 30 tier: While there are some differences due to predictability and healing burst, long term average healing done on these is fairly disparate:
  • Enraged Regeneration is 30% of max health healed every 2 minute CD [though it probably won't be hit on CD, instead used as a big active mitigation button like it is now, often used right after Last Stand for a bigger heal.]
  • Second Wind will average 10% of max health every 10 times you get hit. If you are tanking, this should be regular and depends on your attacker's attack speed; an attack speed of 2.0 seconds means 10% of max health every 20 seconds, which is twice as much healing as using Enraged Regeneration on CD [which isn't how it's normally used].
  • Impending Victory is 10% of max health every 30 seconds and probably would be used nearly on CD [you would possibly delay a little if you are full when it comes off of CD]. This averages the same as Second Wind on an opponent with a 3.0 second attack speed, and worse if they attack more quickly than that.

At these numbers, I would pretty much always take Second Wind: more healing, and completely passive. If a boss had a damage burst that required Enraged Regeneration, I would switch, but that's about it.

3. Staggering Shout: 40 second cooldown, "Causes all enemies within 20 yards that are snared to become rooted for 5 sec." What can I, as a Warrior, do to snare enemies? It looks like Hamstring, one target at a time. 40 seconds seems like a long time for an ability that might only affect one opponent [that I've used Hamstring on] or none, if I'm using it in PvP hoping one of my teammates has put up a snare effect on someone near me.

4. War Banner. Having to renew this every 15 sec. seems very annoying, but it is marked as Passive, so something's going to be changed about it, guess we'll see what changes in the future.
Only one thing i have to say.... Bring back old DIVINE SACRIFICE...

kthxbye
All this stuff looks amazing! Good job Blizz!

Mass Spell Reflect, thank you for listening to the warrior player base also :)

ANyways, all the talents sound really cool!
A couple of Tanking concerns I have off the top of my head.

1. AE tanking, with all of our rage being poured into mitigation, this limits the usage of dps rage cost moves (as mentioned).
Cleave has too high of a rage cost and revenge/shockwave have 9/20 second cooldowns respectively. Thunder clap is therefore the go-to move for AE, yet it costs 20 rage (which will heavily impact our survivability if we use it more than maintaining its 30 second debuff). This may very well be by design, but its a concern, traditionally threat is hardest to maintain for warriors, how will this carry forward in MOP?

Thunder Clap is free for Protection warriors, and it applies a dot.

Shield Slam and auto attack to generate rage for Shield Block.

Most other offensive attacks are free (for Protection), except for Heroic Strike and Cleave, which are intended to be used only in times of excess rage (which should be less common than today, but still occur with reasonable frequency).

Improving tanking rotations is always challenging. If tanks have too many abilities to manage, then they are overwhelmed in fights that require a lot of boss positioning or add management. If tanks have too few abilities or a very simplified resource, then they get bored on single-target boss fights with limited movement.

Part of our design intent is to have tank resources tie into survivability instead of threat, since we (and tanks) place more emphasis on the former.
Firstly, MANY thanks for Ascendance! This is amazing and makes me want to play my shaman in MoP. At least this is interesting, and not your stock +X damage/+Y healing type of talent. Please please please keep this one and do not remove it (Blizzard in the past likes to show something cool during preview, and then remove it in Live, for shamans...and then later put it back. Eg. spirit link).

Current (4.3) Ancestral Swiftness gives Ghost wolf speed increase by 15% and makes it instant cast. New Ghost wolf is already instant cast, but lacks the 15% speed increase anywhere. I assume this is addressed in glyphs?

Current (4.3) Feedback reduces elemental mastery cool down when we cast lightning bolt. Is this found anywhere?

Current (4.3) Healing Stream totem becomes single player healing in the future, and is the current "normal" 5-man healing only if we pick Healing Tide totem. This kind of sucks ... but I supposed it is your way to force people to think what to pick on tier 75 - damage reduction, passive 5 man healing, or a cool down to heal one more person.

Current (4.3) Telluric current seems to be gone. This was one of my favorite thing as Resto... I could help with dps when not much damage is going around, and during burn boss phase, I could regain mana. I hope this is not removed but build into glyph or something.

Also, shamans had a lot of padding talents addressed to specific spells. If these are gone, I hope you have looked very specifically how each individual spell should be buffed so that shamans don't suffer an overall nerf.
- Lava flow -> buffs crit chance of lava burst, buff periodic damage of flame shock, gives haste when fs is dispelled
- Call of fire -> buff fire totem dmg, buff Lava Burst damage
- Nature's blessings -> increase healing on earth shielded targets
- Blessings of Eternals -> increase chance of proc of earth living on low health targets
etc just to name a few

Thanks for reading.
fourth talent tier for DKs, Death Siphon, does it cost anything, does it have a cool down?
The current Crusader's Zeal looks boring passive damage increase.

If it read:
Crusader's Zeal (Passive)
Autoattack have a 20% chance to grant 25% haste for your next three melee abilities.

This way makes it more interested with the interaction of Sanctity of Battle.

Honestly, I'm a LITTLE worried that with mana regen as high as you say it is that healers will be once again completely broken in arena and that only dps classes with extreme burst/chainable cc will flourish.

I like the idea of healing in pvp being a mana game instead who can get away with more flash heals and/or instant casts. Please do not reneg on that philosophy -- some arena matches just last way way too long.
I have a concern about the blood death knight talents, compared to the other tanks.

All the other tanks get crit immunity before level 15-- that is, they will never tank a dungeon without crit immunity. Most get it as a passive at 10, when they pick their spec. But blood DKs don't get improved blood presence until 64, a full 6 levels after most leave the start zone, which means they are crittable before then.

Anyone who's leveled a healer through dungeon finder will tell you that new death knights are often shaky tanks; many are still working out their class, and some are learning how to tank. This is fine; everyone has to learn sometime, after all. But having them take even more spike damage than ususal may be unwise. Admittedly, up until Cataclysm it was rare for tanks to be crit immune before the endgame. But if the dungeons are re-tuned for Mists with the idea that all tanks are crit immune, this might be a problem.

Would it be possible to drop Improved Blood Presence to level 58, in the name of preserving the sanity of leveling healers everywhere?
The trees are too much. Too many classes are getting heals or damage-reduction cooldowns. And everyone has a pretty huge offensive cooldown. It's weird, I am not a fan at all.

The specialness of a druids berserk, or barkskin, or whatever, is gone. And !@#$ you retards that say "QQmoar, youre not a special snowflake". I play a druid because the abilities are unique. Also, the resto talents that give 100% of Int as Agi, that is retarded.

Theres no need to have different classes if most of the class abilities are homogenized and passed out to everyone. Just more to the point that this whole thing isn't about the game, it's just about the money. The Heart of the Aspects is too great-looking of a mount to only be purchasable through the Blizzard Store. I freaked when I saw the data-mined model on MMOChamp, and was ready to do whatever insane thing you have to do to get it... But turns out all that amazing thing is, is be able to read my credit card.

I pay a sub so that I can experience the content with my unique character, with my well-defined class abilities (i don't heal as a feral druid, or try to boomkin dps as a tank), and see all content, having all of it available to me. The pet store is just greed, say what you want, it's just what it is.

Classic = 33 raid bosses.
BC = 50+ raid bosses.
WotLK = 50+ raid bosses.
Cata = 31 raid bosses.

People like raiding, regardless of difficulty, and you guys brought it with the expansions after Classic. Cata didn't. Instead it brought an explosion of pet store and mount store BS, weak lore, an end boss that we really had no connection to and a extremely rushed end-tier patch. And yeah, 4.3 was rushed. There is one neck drop in all of DragonSoul, and no capes. Vendor is best-in-slot for most even on necks, and just plain IS BiS on capes. Yet, there are 2 sets of agility boots.

Give us more raid content, give us developed storylines, give us solid loot tables, and give us unique specs and classes.
The new Shaman abilities look great... for ele and Resto. What about enhancement?

Healing totem.. healing a ally from attacks.... etc etc, extra lightning bolts....

Oh wait I can stormstrike and attack from a distance for a bit every 3 minutes... yay :(

Sounds like another great expansion pack for enhancement :(.
2 questions, one what does NYI mean, and 2 are you planning on reformating the ammo talents for hunters? The old ones didn't work out well but I LOVE the concept of having your own type of ammo since ammo was removed.
Edit: Just wanted to say PALLIES TALENTS ARE THE BEES KNEES.

-Spirit shell: How long will it last? No tooltip. this one will be the replacement for PW:S?

The intent of Spirit Shell is to provide a frequent-use absorb that recreates some of the gameplay where Disc priests put absorbs on lots of their teammates. This was a style many Disc priests told us they enjoyed, but was difficult to balance with Power Word: Shield (since PW:S is instant).

At this point, think of Spirit Shell as Heal and Power Word: Shield as Flash Heal.
Personally, I think the talents are horrid. How will any of those talents (minus the one or two obvious ones) help me heal my dungeon or raid group in MoP? They seem to be more tilted toward quest solo'ing or PvP.