Constant "Lua Errors"

Mac Technical Support
Every single time I get any proc (FoF, hotstreak, brainfreeze, impact) I get a error message and a box appears over the middle of screen. As a mage this makes the game completely unplayable as I proc about once per second. I've updated all my addons on my Curse client, this has never been a problem for me before. Is there anyway way I can disable these error messages (perhaps a random ui option or an addon that blocks these massively annoying boxes from appearing)? Please help, I literally cannot play like this.
the clue would be what addon the error is reporting, this is an addon bug. You just need to figure out what mod and remove it or find a working version of it.

you can disable the error messages but it's the equiv of taking check engine light out of car, it doesn'ta ctaully fix the rpboelm just hides the warning. It can still cause game slowdown or instability. You are better off playing with errors on, but resolvin what's causing it.

if you can, post the error message here.

i also recommend these addons, they will make the error popups far less intrusive

http://www.wowace.com/addons/bugsack/
http://www.wowace.com/addons/bug-grabber/

install both. they will replace the blizzard error reporter with a better one that provides more information, but also, it doesn't report the same error twice, so if an error keeps popping up, it posts it once, then not again. It won't popup in combat, so you can at least inish the fight first, then check error after. it saves the errors so you can awlays pull it up after the fact. It supports copy and pasting, for easily reporting error to addon authors. all of these things will make your gameplay better.
Wow great post thanks man! I'm used to never understanding error messages lol I've done some code writing myself and the compiler errors are so cryptic they may as well be in chinese. I'll try those addons but I don;t think I can fix the problem atm as all my addons are up to date.
well when you get bugsack and buggrabber running, the errors will be reported in a way more sensible manor you may find they are easier to understand, plus it'l be much easier to copy and paste here and i'm sure i'll be able to tell you what the problem is.
Interface -> Help -> Uncheck "Display LUA errors"
03/18/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Faucheuse

Yeah, as i said already, that is the WORST thing a wow player could ever do. You can literally lose 40fps from a bad mod, and never know why with no errors. Silencing errors is NEVER the right solution to them. Fixing them by updating or disabling addon is only correct way to deal with it. Otherwise, any performance loss or instability you get as a result is all on you. I've been running wow for years with errors turned on and it's never been a problem, cause i get 0 errors. Installing bugsack and buggrabber is best solution to improve the error reoprting mechanics, without disabling them, if they really annoy you that much.
03/18/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Faucheuse

Exceptionally bad idea.

The effects of the errors will still be felt in addons that don't load , partially load or act in unexpected ways.

Also if there's a lot of Lua errors in occurring it can cause reduced fps as the system is bogged down with logging errors in the background that it never shows.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
First, make sure you are not loading out of date add ons! Even if you think it's up to date, it may not be according to the game, so un-check the 'Load out of date add ons' checkbox.

Next, the way to troubleshoot this issue is to isolate the add-on that's misbehaving.

Either

a) inspect the lua errors closely. It will often reveal the misbehaving add on by whatever the error message states.

or

b) Using a split-half search to isolate the add on

Step 1 is to disable all the add ons.
Step 2 Take all your add ons and mentally divide the list in half. Enable all the add ons the first half
Step 3 Try the game and see if you get lua errors.

If no, then disable those from the first half and enable the second half. Try the game again.

If Yes, then take the half that's enabled and divide that in half. Enable the first half and try the game. Check for errors. If no, then try the other half.

Step 4 Rinse, repeat until you have isolated the issue down to one add on.

Once you have found the misbehaving add-on, remove it.
b) Using a split-half search to isolate the add on

Step 1 is to disable all the add ons.
Step 2 Take all your add ons and mentally divide the list in half. Enable all the add ons the first half
Step 3 Try the game and see if you get lua errors.

If no, then disable those from the first half and enable the second half. Try the game again.

that's really unnessesary, the error TELLS you which addon it is, which is why you don't turn them off. If you read the error instead of clicking it off, you'll have more then enough info as to which addon is causing it. All that writeup would be a time consuming waste of time, unless you're diagnosing someting other then lua errors, such as possible fps loss from a mod that isn't erroring but running like crap, then you'd take a systematic approach like that.
Please note that I suggested option a) first....

a) inspect the lua errors closely. It will often reveal the misbehaving add on by whatever the error message states.

Often times add-ons have dependencies on other add-ons. The ACE library for example. So when a crash occurs the error dialog can sometimes be misleading as to what crashed and/or why.

So in agreement with the poster above, work with the obvious first (option a) and if you don't get results then start eliminating variables (option b).
turn off swatter