To Experienced/Longtime Players: Alt Leveling

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
Yeah, I think everyone should take a break from their regular gameplay and level an alt at some point in their WoW careers. But level it for the sake of leveling and experiencing content, not to "Kick !@# and Take Names with a new class". I keep my toon pretty well out of the main cities simply because they make me feel like I do on my main, waiting to do the next dungeon/bg...running in circles.
I created two new characters on my main server to see the new content, with some help from heirlooms, bags, money, etc. Now I want to play something Alliance on another server without any "hand-me-downs" to help me out. The real problem is finding enough time to play...
I started this character last night and became so immersed in the game that before I knew it I was level 13 and hours had passed. So yes, OP, I am right there with you.
OP: Here, this would be my toon-alt that I just started.
I actually don't mind the leather gear set for this level. Doesn't look half bad.
I don't raid and seldom do the end game LFMs so yeah, I've leveled a few alts. =^)

Across two accounts I have nineteen Alliance alts and one horde on Malygos. I got my troll druid to the mid-30s and quit. The horde side have a lot of neat quests - the one about you becoming the guestgiver was well done - but in the next few there was this field of humans buried up to their necks ...

>>shiver<<

/remembers Southshore
/sad

I recently created a horde disc priest on a new-to-me server (no money, no bags, no BoAs) and leveling her through LFMs instead of questing. I'm so glad I get to stand in the back but I do miss my shadowmeld.
i have a project with my gf currently. we're leveling through questing only, with dungeon quests once. we're not going back for loot that didnt drop for us, basically.

i might throw that out too. no dungeons. but anyway. we're almost level 30, havent done a dungeon. probably wont care about getting dual specs. we have ground mount and are entering stonetalon mountains as alliance. the entire leveling experience has changed, basically. it's pretty refreshing. we're probably gonna keep leveling pairs as long as we play this game.
i have a project with my gf currently. we're leveling through questing only, with dungeon quests once. we're not going back for loot that didnt drop for us, basically.

i might throw that out too. no dungeons. but anyway. we're almost level 30, havent done a dungeon. probably wont care about getting dual specs. we have ground mount and are entering stonetalon mountains as alliance. the entire leveling experience has changed, basically. it's pretty refreshing. we're probably gonna keep leveling pairs as long as we play this game.

See now that sounds really fun. Not to derail the thread, but how did you convince your girlfriend to play? That'd be the best christmas present in the world if I could get mine to play alongside me. I think the fantasy setting/difficulty of the game might turn her off from it, though. She makes Mario Kart look hard :P
Bumping this since people are complaining about the leveling experience/and or how end game has gotten boring for them.
On my main realm all 10 toons are different races between 6 classes. However duplicate classes are Horde/Alliance. This way I experience beginner zones, different factions perspectives, and I can level through different zones.
I'm all about alts! I felt Alliance was too easy since I had 5 85's to send gold and items to my little alts, and always wanted some Horde, so started on a new server. My Alliance are for PVE and Horde are for PVP.

I absolutely adore following the Forsaken storylines! Also anything in which I can kill gnomes ^_^ I also used to absolutely hate Strangethorn in vanilla, but now I look forward to it. I hadn't done Un'goro since vanilla either (but I refuse to go to Silithus unless there's a dig site there) and it's not half bad as I remember.

Starting with nothing is REALLY awesome actually. Moving up, getting gold, it almost feels like you are actually working at something again. There are people out there who are very rude if you don't have a full set of heirlooms, but screw them. I'm having fun and getting stuff killed without dying much as it is (I did die under lvl 10 as a rogue the other day >< How embarrassing!).
Great post, Vailence!

I have absolutely leveled up a new race/class combination purely with the intention of experiencing new content. When Cataclysm premiered, I was eager to not only view the new opening cinematics for each race, but I was especially eager to check out the new quests and leveling experiences that became available when the world as we knew it was torn asunder.

In addition to playing through both the worgen and goblin areas multiple times, I also enjoyed trying out some of the new race/class combinations that became available, such as the tauren paladin. I’ve leveled up quite a number of characters over the years, so it was really refreshing to be able to have so much new and exciting story content to go through. I found that I particularly enjoyed taking my time to check out and complete the quest chains in each zone before moving on to the next one. Thankfully, since I had so many fresh alts to choose from, I didn’t have a problem hitting most of the quest hubs scattered around Azeroth over the passing months.

Leveling new alts has continued to be a lot of fun for me, and it’s rather neat being able to take a second-look at pieces of gear in terms of future Transmogrification potential. That sort of thing certainly didn’t pass through my mind when I played through some of those quests and evaluated their rewards originally!
Have any of you leveled up a new race/class purely with the intention of experiencing the new content? What were your experiences?

I myself have started leveling a night elf (after being primarily horde for 5 years), and after a day and a half or more's worth of play time, I'm only level 40. My personal rules for leveling my alt are: No Dungeons, No Battlegrounds, No heirlooms, and No leaving a zone until the quest achievement is complete. I also rerolled on a new server to prevent help from friends.

To be honest, I haven't enjoyed leveling this much in a very long time. Once I let go of the race to play my class at end game (grinding dungeons/bgs in heirlooms to hit 85 in 2 weeks), I finally can say that I am happy logging in for an hour or two. There isn't frustration at doing things I've already done a dozen times. The immersive feeling from when I first started the game came back.

I focus on the game story, and the development of zones. I think it is refreshing, how about you guys?

Well you see, I have to take a break from wow from time to time because I simply have no time to play.
When I do that I use to roll an alt on a trial account and play whenever I have spare time.
I have a lot of lvl 20's on my trial account, most of them are horde. This way I can see the content for every starting area and since most of the post 20 content is "neutral" rather than dedicated to a specific race, I get to see how everyone is faring on the cataclysm.
having leveled probably 20 characters total to 80(multiple accounts) I haven't ever cared about the story at all. The only difference now is that it's quicker and less of a grind but I find the story annoying :/
After I finish loremaster on my main, I will start a Hordie on a new server just to see the Horde side of things.

Im looking forward to it! I also plan to get each race from 1-20 to learn about their starting zones - as each have a wonderful race-only series of quests and NPCs.
I do not enjoy leveling alts. It's why I have raid-logged in this game for the last 9ish months. I wish I did, because I like this game's engine and all. I just prefer to increasingly power up my main, which is why I've been playing Rift in my off-time. There's always something for me to do outside of raiding and PVP to actually progress my character thanks to their Planar Attunement system and the sheer amount of stuff to do out in the world. I'd suggest Blizzard add something similar to WoW, but some casuals would probably put off by the fact they can't see and do everything in the entire game with their 2 hours of play time they get a week.
Mom and I run 2 Family guilds (both recently dinged Lv10!), with just the two of us. We play on two servers, Moon Guard for our Alliance characters, The Scryers for our Horde characters.

One of the achievements we are trying to get, is the achievement for having a Level 85 of all 10 classes.

The Alliance side, we're pretty dang close, missing only a Warlock. The Horde isn't quite as close, though most classes except Rogue, Mage, and Priest are Level 80+.

Anyways, I like the different classes' playstyle, though I am not going to go raiding with all of them. I've chosen Paladins for my "Mains" because Paladins have a varied playstyle and enough perks that I quest with them more than anything else. It helps that they can tank, too and I rather enjoy their playstyle as a Tank (I enjoy playing Paladin more than any other tanking class).

We did Both Horde and Alliance to see both sides of the coin, to see all of the storylines, etc.
Yes, of course. This goblin was all about experiencing content. Now that I've hit Outlands though I'm bored again and will probably zoom past till I'm in Northrend.
I enjoyed leveling a new toon(this one) after the cataclysm up to level 58. Couldn't stand the idea of going to Outland for the 9th time, so I stopped there. Now I am capped for the number of toons on my server I am allowed, so I won't be able to ever make a new toon again. The next expansion better open up a lot more slots for characters on the same server, or I will not be able to try out a monk or a panda. I have zero intention of ever making a toon on another server again, as it ends up always feeling like wasted playtime.