Wrath Heroics were the biggest mistake in WoW

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
People would never have whined about Cata heroics were Wrath heroics were any where near as difficult as the BC heroics. Wrath heroics caused massive degradation in the ability of the player base. It is something that has effected almost all parts of WoW to this day.

Wrath heroics even at launch were faceroll compared to their BC counterparts. People were AoE tanking in blues and greens at launch. The only hard boss in a heroic at launch for wrath was Loken. It taught players who were use to the calculated runs of BC that facerolling everything was the way to victory. People became use to that style especially with the fact Wrath lasted a lot longer than anyone expected.

Naxx 80 wasn't much better. It was a repeat from vanilla except grossly undertuned. It was so undertuned that 70 sunwell gear was enough to clear the place.
well opinion is just that..to me BC sucked

Vidya Games are hard
I didnt like how fast the dungeons became out geared and fight mechanics became irrelevant to the point that clothies was tanking trash and bosses, and many fight strats devolved into stack on boss and ignore fight mechanics.

Hopefully in MoP Blizzard finds a balance in future proofing dungeons and not relying off of one shots as the only way to do such. I was fine with the one shot mechanics in Cata launch heroics because it meant that players couldnt blame healers when it was clear that they failed a fight mechanic. I just would like to see more performance impacting debuffs like silences, disarms, haste/damage reductions, and maybe the spawning of more adds as ways to discourage players from ignoring mechanics and keeping them meaningful in later tiers.

Whats the point of the developers designing all these fight mechanics if they are just going to make them ignorable? If players really just want to ignore fight mechanics, then the developers could save themselves a lot of time by just reskining patchwork over and over again.
02/27/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Dragomaxor
People would never have whined about Cata heroics were Wrath heroics were any where near as difficult as the BC heroics.

Right, because they would have quit the game during Wrath and not even bought Cataclysm.

But whine away, Blizzard knows they should ignore your kind of noise now. It's a shame learning that lesson cost them $200+ M.
Blame COD.

It makes people believe they should earn something big for the littlest things.
BC Heroics were brutal on release, much much harder then catas were, good luck in getting a group if you had no reliable cc, 360 degree cleaves and mobs that hit so hard you could barely tank 2 of them.

I enjoyed the challenge of heroics this expansion but I stayed away from lfd for a very very long time and generally just ran in guild groups until after 4.1.

I think if you actually were able to find the metrics at the end of bc you would find that more people cleared karazhan then actually cleared all of the bc heroics.
I'm always seeing people say X dungeon was cake and someone else saying it was tough as nails. I'm annoyed by it.

But whine away, Blizzard knows they should ignore your kind of noise now. It's a shame learning that lesson cost them $200+ M.

Well the Blues keep saying they have data besides the forums and there must have been a significant loss of players to make them go the route they did. So you go on ahead and keep spouting your biased hatred towards other players or as some would call it
02/27/2012 06:42 PMPosted by Osmeric
swamp gas
Its funny, everyone seems to blame Wrath for everything...

I blame tbc...for teaching people that its okay to grind for stuff and ignor your real life. That the real reward is in allowing a game to consume your time so much that its all you do.

Take that!
02/27/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Blacksavior

Well the Blues keep saying they have data besides the forums and there must have been a significant loss of players to make them go the route they did. So you go on ahead and keep spouting your biased hatred towards other players or as some would call it

It's not hatred, it's exasperation at the egregious self-serving BS that fills threads like these.

In particular, the notion that casual players are somehow mindless robots that were programmed by Wrath into game-destroying engines of QQ, when actually they're just rational consumers who figured out what they like and what they don't like, and are willing to put their money where their mouths are.

But you do raise a good point ... how DID Blizzard con themselves into thinking that raising the difficulty would be a good idea? They've never explained that. It would be an interesting read.
Funny thing is the difficulty plummets with a coordinated group with plenty of CC. Sure all the guild/friend runs weren't always perfect but nothing ever happened that was frustrating.
The age and commercial success of the game are what has caused the "degradation" of the player base. During Wrath, it aged to the point where it was no longer just a game for the cool kids, everybody was playing it - even people playing it as their very first game. Old people, young people, I think even cats are playing it. Game gets popular, you have an influx of people like me who are just not the best gamers around.

Wrath story, theme, and art had a great hook - it worked on many levels. Game was old enough to have gotten into mainstream consciousness, outside the gamers' bubble.

I have heard plenty of players who think more critically comment that Wrath dungeons really were not easier til they had nerfs/players outgeared them. I, personally, did not find the Wrath heroics easier than the BC ones at the stage of the game when I started playing. (Were BC heroics nerfed for Wrath? Maybe that's why I didn't find Wrath "easier".)
Too bad MoP heroics are said to be designed to Wrath difficulty then. Well, I suppose that's what the Challenge Modes are for, then. : /

They have already admitted(time and again I might add) that they made a mistake with "trying to make people more hardcore".

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/arts/video-games/star-wars-the-old-republic-vs-world-of-warcraft-online.html?_r=1

The world has changed, either Blizz adapts or they end up losing a huge chunk of players.
delete
Nope, dual talent spec was and remains WoW's biggest mistake.
02/27/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Skarsnik
Nope, dual talent spec was and remains WoW's biggest mistake.

Here comes the derail train, CHOO CHOO!

Not sure how Heroics got switched to dual talent spec.
Well originally wrath heroics weren't all faceroll and games. Most people remember wrath heroics from when the LFD went into effect. They don't remember trying to tank halls of lightning heroic as a group of new 80s. They got their faces stomped in. They just remember everyone being in min t9 gear from the free emblems, and most people being in icc gear and simply rolling through things. Heck, I remember people cried about HoR even with the ICC gear. It usually went:
-Zone into Halls of Reflection
-Healer: *&*^ this, I'm not healing this piece of crap dungeon
-DPS1: /drops group
-Tank: Uggh I only need 2 more friggin' frosties for my libram so I'm gonna stay >_>
-Wipe 3 times due to stupid
-Eventually clear the place.

Cata heroics used to be hard. I remember trying to heal Beauty prenerf in an LFD pug.... It wasn't pretty. What shouldn't happen, is people only remember the part of running the dungeon where they outgeared it by 50+ item levels.