Message from Mike Morhaime

General Discussion
Prev 1 68 69 70 77 Next
If there was ever a rock bottom personal opinion of Blizzard for me this would be it. Cant help but feel thats just the stink of Activision rubbing off. I am not refering to this incident in particular, but everything from Cataclysm to split Starcraft 2 and RL AH for Diablo 3. All of this has happened in such a breif window in the companies lifetime.
03/04/2012 12:56 AMPosted by Zyther
So you fire people, sending the message to everyone that you cannot afford to continue to pay them for said jobs....yet some how you all think that merging dead servers sends a worse message?

Did you actually read the announcement on the first page of this long thread?? No where does it imply that the lay offs are due to final hardship or not being able to afford to continue paying them. They are not sending any message other then what it clearly states, Corporate restructuring, not a new concept.
02/29/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Bashiok
After evaluating our current organizational needs, we determined that while some areas of our business had been operating at the right levels and could benefit from further growth, other areas had become overstaffed. As a result, we need to scale down some of our departments and part with some of our colleagues and friends here at Blizzard.

It is pretty basic restructuring that happens in companies. Certain areas like GM's and Customer Service for example have to many so they are freeing up those resources and monies to be put in positions elsewhere. This is not the first time either. We saw this happen before when they made transfer services automated. They had to let people go then as well. This was also world wide, not just 600 here in the US. They still have a lot open positions listed.

Blizzard has never said that merging dead servers sends a bad or worse message... in fact they have said just the opposite. They are looking into the realms and populations and how to fix the issues with them.
02/02/2012 03:41 PMPosted by Zarhym
Having said all that, yesterday we discussed low-population and faction-imbalanced realms with our developers. They have some pretty bold and spectacular plans for addressing this in anticipation of implementing some of the features we plan to in Mists. I just don't have a lot of information to share with you at this stage of programming and development.
You have already whined that my post responses are to long and here you are goading me into defending what I have already posted previously. Well, you know....this time I won't bite. You can misstate everything that I have said and you can believe whatever you choose to believe, right or wrong, but it will never make what is fact into something that it is not.My opinions are not dependent upon yours.We both know what I have already said, so my only conclusion is that this is for others here who have probably not read all of you and my posts. If they choose to read a few posts out of 60+ pages and decide they know what is going on...so be it. I say what I believe is right and am always willing to let the chips fall where they may.Are you?

There is one thing I do know, I can afford to be wrong can you?
03/04/2012 08:34 AMPosted by Source
I am gleefully awaiting for their financial destruction. You got a problem with that sir? I thinks you do!

Seems a strange tactic to continue throwing money at a company that you wish to see ruined.
03/04/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Okuu
Seems a strange tactic to continue throwing money at a company that you wish to see ruined.

Its all part of the master plan.
Speculation and assuming on vague wording about some things that happens that are quite common in any business today. Granted it is not anything we like to hear and my condolences go out to those whom have lost there positions within Blizzard. I have been laid off before and I know what it is like. It is terrible no matter where you get laid off from. Like any company Blizzard has it's reasons. It is just the way it is, sadly enough.

I don't like to see so much bickering about the subject from a bunch of ppl who have never worked a day in their lives and just play video games all day. It probably hurts the people who have lost their jobs enough. I have been in that situation and I wish them luck and hope that they find a new job or position somewhere that they enjoy, whereever it may be.

Why haven't you locked this yet Bashiok?
Sorry to hear this and Best of Luck to those losing their jobs :( . You are lucky enough that Blizzard is giving you a severance package along with other "Benefits". Hopefully the severance package is good enough to last until you can find another job.
it's not much
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-videogamestre8230kr-20120304,0,2423690.story
It is sad to hear that people are losing their job. The company I work for kept people working during the housing market crash that crippled the US economy. They did trim five hours off our workweek. Some of the employees whined and complained about it, but we were very lucky our CEO did not lay anyone off. He felt if they performed any layoff's it would create further hardship. I would rather take a pay cut than lose my job any day. Instead of laying people off share with them the option to take either, a pay cut or take unemployment (which they will probably receive here in the US.) Having options could be a good thing. The assumption should be made that they may be hired back at some point.

Blizzard has always created great games and almost never left me disappointed even though I have disagreed with some of changes to the game over the years. Playing World of Warcraft is always changing and evolving, sometime better, sometimes worse.

02/29/2012 09:40 AMPosted by Surandra
Their revenue will dramatically increase with D3 xD

no the revenue will dramatically increase from the loss of so many workers. The D3 revenue is not gonna be a great gain considering it is already a mmo curently in use. D3 is nothing more than an expansion in sense. But the concept of being able to buy gold for D3 with RL duckets does apeal to me. I think it should be implemented into WOW as well. Get rid of alot of the backstabbing lessers that spend their lives trying to ruin others by hacking accounts and selling stolen gold.
What kind of business keeps 600 people it doesn't need??? If they were customer support that was cut, it was because you can't expect 600 people just waiting for someone to have a problem, if it was developement there is such a thing as too many hands in the cookie jar or perhaps they just plain were not needed. etc etc etc. You only need so many people to run a department, and although adding extra people will normally help something get done faster, there is a saturation point where more people start helping things get done less and less quickly,to the point where an extra person does not help at all because there is nothing for him to do that someone else doesn't have time to pick up.

Point it, firing people you don't need is part of life. It is part of the economy. If it wasn't, unemployment would not exist. But it does, and it turns out that rate is extremely high all over the world right now. I do not begrudge the loss of these jobs, and will continue to feel this way unless and until quality is directly impacted by the loss.