Message from Mike Morhaime

General Discussion
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 Next
How on earth are they overstaffed?

Perhaps if they created more content they wouldn't be so overstaffed.. Their lack of effort and laziness in producing content has resulted in the reduction in subs, which in turn has lost people their jobs..

It would be interesting to see what goes on during a typical day.. They spend months reskinning Stormwind mounts and calling them Gilneas mounts? They spend months redoing the animations for Wrath/Shadow Bolt/Lightning Bolt?

I guess I don't understand what exactly is taking up all of these resources they claim to not have enough of.. Do they have a 5 minute dev meeting per day and spend the rest of the day playing golf..?

They should really start to focus on the here and now and stop relying on the next expansion to fix everything.

Sorry to all that lost their jobs.. I hope you find new work soon!

Perhaps if they created more content they wouldn't be so overstaffed.. Their lack of effort and laziness in producing content has resulted in the reduction in subs, which in turn has lost people their jobs..

Yeah! Let's put the Customer Support and CMs to Develop!

Oh, wait...
03/06/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Darbathius

Having Customer Service people develop content is an A+ option.

But you really don't understand the process for developing software, let alone a game that has 10 million + people using it, do you?
Yeah, Let's put the Customer Support and CMs to Develop!

Oh, wait...

Had the devs created more for the playerbase to do, they wouldn't have lost subs. If they wouldn't have lost subs, the CS and CM would have had more things to do. Derp?

The devs have been putting out the bare minimum for a long time... and it shows.

Spending months on reskinned mounts and rehashed content?
Spending months on the new animations for a select few spells?

Honestly, I can't believe how little they produce in such a long time period. They must be either twiddling their thumbs or playing golf for 99% of their shift. It just makes no sense..

Oh, wait...

Had the devs created more for the playerbase to do, they wouldn't have lost subs. If they wouldn't have lost subs, the CS and CM would have had more things to do. Derp?

The devs have been putting out the bare minimum for a long time... and it shows.

Honestly, I can't believe how little they produce in such a long time period. They must be either twiddling their thumbs or playing golf for 99% of their shift. It just makes no sense..

I can't believe that you think you have a valid opinion on what should be done when...

Oh, wait...

Lemme guess, you never worked with any form of development at all before?
03/06/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Drumith
I can't believe that you think you have a valid opinion on what should be done when...

Not at all. I have full faith they are devoting their valuable and limited resources into something very important. Although going by what they have produced so far this expansion, I feel like they devote no more than 5 minutes on it before calling it a day.

Nothing I say will change that. They have made it clear they are going to do what they want to do. And that makes me sad..because I really love WoW!

03/06/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Khaerys
Lemme guess, you never worked with any form of development at all before?

I don't recall content ever being this slow prior to Cataclysm. And that content wasn't rehashed.

Ironically they said content would be more frequent in cataclysm, yet it has been the least content heavy out of all expansions. And most of it was rehashed stuff we have seen before.

The subscription numbers and layoffs don't lie. The effort and laziness shown this expansion clearly reflects that.
Regardless of the reasons behind the layoffs, thanks to those who are leaving for their contributions to the game, and I hope you are back at work somewhere ASAP.
Blizzard is delusional if they think they need to start cutting people.
Blizzard has a 20% drop in subscriptions.

If you used 20% less electricity would you be ok with the electric company continuing to charge you for what you used to use, or would you expect them to charge you less?

If you went to McDonald's and ordered a just a burger and a coke, would you expect them to charge you for fries with that - because you'd ordered fries the two days before?

If you worked at a company where you and 4 other people answered the phone - but there were only enough calls for 4 people .. would you be ok with one person sitting surfing the web while you and the three others handled all the calls?
*sigh* And they fired Nyorloth as a blue poster. This makes me sad. I rarely, if at all, used these forums for lore before he came. He bridged gaps. He answered questions. He CLARIFIED when we would usually have been left to speculation and loud bickering amongst ourselves about how wrong such-and-such is.

Please come back, Nyorloth. I miss you, and so do many others.

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/image.php?u=23568&dateline=1330758726
I actually totally understand that layoffs could be necessary, and I trust Blizzard to make those hard decisions in a smart way.

However, you must understand how it looks to the players when you create a CDev Story position and then immediately lay off that person. That's a pretty public position, one that was presented as a crucial point-person in terms of players who are interested in story and lore, that you then decided to remove. Something went wrong here.

You can't tell me that you didn't know you were going to have to lay off 600 people beforehand. That takes a good deal of planning. It would have been MUCH better if you never created the Story CDev position in the first place. That would have solved your PR problem.

Instead, we get the impression that a few internal departments knew it was a good idea, created the position, and were then totally shot down by upper management who didn't really understand or care how this would look to the loyal playerbase.

Whether or not having a Story CDev is necessary, the way this happened was bad. You should be doing better than this.
I just wanted to post again in support of this thread on the eu forums:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3430035662
$5 /gallon gas...
03/07/2012 05:42 AMPosted by Seraela
Wow.... You are quite stupid, aren't you?

In other words you agree with me so you resort to insulting me. Pretty weak.

It seems to me all of the rude, disrespectful people are the ones that think Blizzard can do no wrong. You'd think it would be the opposite.

Again, if the quality of the product was good, they wouldn't be losing subs this fast. The quality of the product is lacking because the devs are releasing next to no content and putting almost no effort into the things they do release. They are being extremely lazy.

Because of the devs laziness they have lost subs, which lost people their jobs.
So Blizzard spread itself too thin and its employees are going to suffer?

Severance packages are going to run out, and the job market is really tough right now. Wow, this leaves a bad taste in my mouth like nothing else. IMHO working on so many projects at once was stupid in the first place.
If they are so overstaffed maybe they could have finished all their "promises" such as the dance studio from TBC, the Arial combat in Wrath, Destructible buildings. You guys say you are so over staffed yet you have a hard time coming through on the promises made back in the day that kept your subscriptions up cause we all wanted these sorts of things and still nothing. go back to the drawing board and keep your staff busy and you wouldn't be overstaffed.