Message from Mike Morhaime

General Discussion
Prev 1 75 76 77 Next
03/07/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Windfuehrer
So Blizzard spread itself too thin and its employees are going to suffer?
The ones that remain employees will be just fine.

Seriously, though... Why are so many acting like this is anything new? Would it be better for a corporation never to expand, take on new projects, pioneer new avenues? We've had 4 years of economic downturn and high unemployment... and Blizz was trying to keep extra staff as long as they could. Eventually, loss of revenues means you have to start cutting costs. If you step on a scale and realize you've become obese, you don't cut out protein and vegetables... you cut empty calories.

All corporations have to make these tough decisions on a quarterly basis. This quarter, Blizzard ended up having to make the tougher decision. When times improve, they may go back to hiring again... its cyclical. Lets not forget that a healthy bottom line is good for the multitude of employees being retained by Blizzard.
03/07/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Darbathius
Wow.... You are quite stupid, aren't you?

In other words you agree with me so you resort to insulting me. Pretty weak.

It seems to me all of the rude, disrespectful people are the ones that think Blizzard can do no wrong. You'd think it would be the opposite.

Again, if the quality of the product was good, they wouldn't be losing subs this fast. The quality of the product is lacking because the devs are releasing next to no content and putting almost no effort into the things they do release. They are being extremely lazy.

Because of the devs laziness they have lost subs, which lost people their jobs.

No, because you seem to be one of those people that thinks their opinion is the only valid one and will go to amazing lengths to convince themselves that no matter what people say, you are right.

So I will let you stay in your own little dream world, thinking you know how development works. But You'll eventually learn when you grow up or work for a big business that has to trim their employees (It happens more then you would know). Have fun being naive till then.
No, because you seem to be one of those people that thinks their opinion is the only valid one and will go to amazing lengths to convince themselves that no matter what people say, you are right.

So I will let you stay in your own little dream world, thinking you know how development works. But You'll eventually learn when you grow up or work for a big business that has to trim their employees (It happens more then you would know). Have fun being naive till then.

You seem to be side stepping my post, calling me out personally instead of the points I make. It is obvious you have no argument against what I say.

The devs promised a lot and failed to deliver. That rubbed a lot of people the wrong way (hence the drop in subs).

Less people playing = less tickets/need for help = less need for CM/CS = overstaffed = fired

You also seem to be ignoring the point that cataclysm has been the least content heavy expansion out of them all. Even though the devs promised there would be more content, more frequently.

Vanilla, BC, and Wrath had more content. And those weren't rehashed. The devs put in very little effort (compared to other expansions). A lot of the content in cataclysm was rehashed.

I honestly am amused you think the quality of cataclysm is on par with the previous expansions. The devs have put out the bare minimum, which lost subs, which lost jobs.

How does a company go from producing so much to so little? Don't tell me it isn't possible to produce plenty of content. The past expansions are proof that they can if they want to.
03/06/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Drumith
Now, he's gone, and I can't see the full justification for that. I also cannot understand it, because it affects and upsets many of your customers since they would see the value as well. I will admit, I don't post there, but I loved the idea of the forum's existence ever since it came to be. You have Tommy to thank for that valuable asset to the community. He is one too, and got the chance to be one for the company... only for that to be dismissed with his lay-off.

That's because you don't see half of what a blue does behind the scenes. When you don't have enough work to justify having a person there it is time to let them go.

It's pretty upsetting, Blizzard. I sincerely hope you understand that. I really do.

No they fired people with a grin on their face, if you actually read the first post they are sorry they had to do it but it had to be done.

Drumith, I don't understand your hostility towards me, or my post. I get that a lot the posts in this thread against the mass layoffs can be often read as ignorant, aggressive, and sometimes insulting or just plain mean.

My issue is not with the mass layoffs, as I was attempting to communicate with my very first paragraph. Were you expecting me to outright say that, instead of relating the need to trim down support that's no longer necessary? Would you like my history working in customer service and support positions in the last 8 years? Your hostility shouldn't be aimed at me, when I have not stated whatever it is you seemed to have interpreted from my post.

I will agree, I don't know everything that a CM does behind the scenes. I related that with understanding the possibility of redundancies with his position, a section of my post you conveniently didn't quote. I was directing more-so at his value to the community, while a voice of Blizzard at the same time. He would serve as a more direct connection to the community, with the company, and I was hoping they would have recognized that.

Again, I don't understand your hostility towards me, but I hope you read my post again without a predisposed decision that I'm just complaining.
03/07/2012 11:45 AMPosted by Darbathius
You also seem to be ignoring the point that cataclysm has been the least content heavy expansion out of them all. Even though the devs promised there would be more content, more frequently.

Okay please proof this.

Vanilla, BC, and Wrath had more content. And those weren't rehashed. The devs put in very little effort (compared to other expansions). A lot of the content in cataclysm was rehashed.

Again prove this

I honestly am amused you think the quality of cataclysm is on par with the previous expansions. The devs have put out the bare minimum, which lost subs, which lost jobs.

Opinionated. I love Cataclysm, You don't. Who is right?

How does a company go from producing so much to so little? Don't tell me it isn't possible to produce plenty of content. The past expansions are proof that they can if they want to.

Again you're talking about a lack of content but please prove this to me.

03/07/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Gaskar
Again, I don't understand your hostility towards me, but I hope you read my post again without a predisposed decision that I'm just complaining.

Your points are very vague and the tone of your post comes off as complaining.

Blizzard knows that it is upsetting. Mike said it in his post:

02/29/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Bashiok
I know that you all understand how difficult this type of situation can be for anyone who might be affected, so I want to assure you that we'll be offering each impacted employee a severance package and other benefits

That is basically saying that he knows it is upsetting but they are doing everything they can to try and alleviate the burden put on the people that were let go.

I was directing more-so at his value to the community, while a voice of Blizzard at the same time. He would serve as a more direct connection to the community, with the company, and I was hoping they would have recognized that.

Another blue can make that same connection to the community that he had. It's not that difficult.

Also I don't see how I was "hostile" towards you, I made a smart comment about a fairly obvious part of Mike Morhaime's letter. If you take smart comments as being "hostile" then I don't know what to say.
Opinionated. I love Cataclysm, You don't. Who is right?

If I were to reason this, I'd say that if the game was up subscribers, you'd be right and if the game was massively, massively losing business, then he would be right. You can feel free to plug in the numbers there.
03/07/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Scybear
If I were to reason this, I'd say that if the game was up subscribers, you'd be right and if the game was massively, massively losing business, then he would be right. You can feel free to plug in the numbers there.

So you are using numbers that you have no context for to support his argument? How do you know everybody that quit quit because of the quality that is in question? How do you know they didn't quit because of personal reasons or the fact it's a seven yearold game and they are burnt out.

It's opinionated because he says the quality isn't there but I believe that it is there and I am thoroughly enjoying myself with this expansion. How are you to say that I'm not right? You can prove that I'm not having fun with this expansion? Please try.
You can believe the world is flat if you want to. Anyone capable of reasoning and anyone who understands business will tell you that a near 20% loss in business doesn't just happen. There is no room for opinion here. If McDonalds started selling rock burgers made from rocks and business dropped 20%, you could say all you want that rocks taste amazing, but it doesn't change the fact that business is gone. Maybe you really do like the taste of rocks.

tl;dr it doesn't matter what your personal opinion is in a business model. The game is lacking or they wouldn't be losing massive business and they know that. Feel free to believe that the game is the best it ever has been because you happen to enjoy it. I'll be living in the world with other people in it.
03/07/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Scybear

Much more competition in the market now than there was 7 years ago;
Console games and Mobile games taking a bite
There are SO many other reasons that can be attributed to the loss of subs aside from "quality/quantity of content"

And those are just a couple.
P.S. Do the market research
03/07/2012 02:04 PMPosted by Zenjyn
There are SO many other reasons that can be attributed to the loss of subs aside from "quality/quantity of content"

Apparently Blizzard has given the lost subscribers a reason to leave.

It could be a multitude of different things, but in the end Blizzard didn't hold their interest or did something they didn't agree with.

If people aren't unhappy or bored, there is no reason to unsubscribe.. right?
03/07/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Darbathius

There's the flaw in your argument. You are assuming somebody is unhappy when they unsubscribe. It might be that they are just happier with another game and are done playing this game (accomplished all that they want to in the game). Sure some people are unhappy when they subscribe but there are many other reasons to unsubscribe.
Apparently Blizzard has given the lost subscribers a reason to leave.

It could be a multitude of different things, but in the end Blizzard didn't hold their interest or did something they didn't agree with.

You can pick at the reasoning all you want to suit your argument: "I like Rift and its World Events/GW2 for its PvP/STW for its w/e" and then say if only Blizzard had done more.

Im just saying you cannot say its a failure on Blizzards part; to be quite honest, in the grand scheme of things they have done more than any gaming company out there; to the point where you are arguing about how they havent done anything on their boards
Much more competition in the market now than there was 7 years ago;
Console games and Mobile games taking a bite

Blizzard doesn't have control over any of those factors, they do have control over the quality of content they deliver and the quantity. Skimping on Cata end game to redo all the early zones and leveling was a mistake.
03/07/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Drumith

Your points are very vague and the tone of your post comes off as complaining.

Blizzard knows that it is upsetting. Mike said it in his post:

I know that you all understand how difficult this type of situation can be for anyone who might be affected, so I want to assure you that we'll be offering each impacted employee a severance package and other benefits

That is basically saying that he knows it is upsetting but they are doing everything they can to try and alleviate the burden put on the people that were let go.

I was directing more-so at his value to the community, while a voice of Blizzard at the same time. He would serve as a more direct connection to the community, with the company, and I was hoping they would have recognized that.

Another blue can make that same connection to the community that he had. It's not that difficult.

Also I don't see how I was "hostile" towards you, I made a smart comment about a fairly obvious part of Mike Morhaime's letter. If you take smart comments as being "hostile" then I don't know what to say.

It seems that once again you've not read my post, and only responded to a section of it. You can imagine how annoying this would be to me.

I'm sorry that I had not spelled out my concerns in a manner you found suitable. I could not find any other way to express what I wanted to state that wouldn't come across as crude. However, I had expressed my concern very plainly: the loss of Nyorlith. I then expanded on why. If expressing my concern is only seen as complaining to you, I don't see a reason to continue defending my sentiments with you.

As for why I found your response hostile, you had made the assumption that I didn't read the original post, and then implied that if I had I would instantly understand. That isn't the case at all. I'm going to end our discourse here, it's not serving any real purpose anymore.

Good evening.
03/07/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Gaskar
As for why I found your response hostile, you had made the assumption that I didn't read the original post, and then implied that if I had I would instantly understand. That isn't the case at all. I'm going to end our discourse here, it's not serving any real purpose anymore.

That's not called being hostile, that's called you don't know how to express what you are feeling and acting under those assumptions. Seriously dude, I just made a smart comment that's the only thing I did. You really have to learn to not take everything so personal.

03/07/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Gaskar
It seems that once again you've not read my post, and only responded to a section of it. You can imagine how annoying this would be to me.

The rest of it was an opinion that you created, how the hell am I supposedly to truly respond to something like that? I can respond and be like I don't agree with you but that is just wasting my time. I responded to the part that was necessary.

Thanks for coming out though.
So I get my thread locked and eventually deleted for talking about this a few months ago, and now the "rumors that aren't true"

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3558806545#6

one of many threads, this makes me chuckle.
I would like you address these question:

does this mean blizzard is doing badly?
How do you plan to rectify this?
Is this the reason SoR is out?
Is money tighter then many of us thought?
You seem to have not addressed any of our questions, Mike, please address them.

I read the part about you feeling overstaffed, if the above questions are a no, then would you mind telling me if this overstaffing is the reason the recent expansion has, to many people, not lived up to what we wanted?
If this is what you and your remaining colleges believe, please tell us, I require answers Morhaime.

You've all come to expect Blizzard to live up to our mission statement with every game, and deliver the most epic entertainment experiences ever. You can continue to expect that and nothing less from us as we move forward.

have you ever read the forums b4?

All we do is complain here.

With nothing but respect and envy-
Dr. Sombrero

three sombrero's for the elf council under the sunwell
seven for the dwarf council in their halls of iron
nine for the humans of stormwind
one for the lich king on his frozen throne in the lands of Icecrown where the citadel lies.
One to rule them all, one to find them all, one to bring them all and in the darkness bind them all in the land of icecrown where the citadel lie.

One Sombrero to rule them all, One Sombrero to take them all, one Sombrero to bring them all in the
Mr. Morhaime I request you, if you read this, to pass on a message to your creative director, Thundergod, the reindeer I ride, Metzen.

If the Thundergod falls
in the same days as the Thundergod reaches a low
In the same days as millions of men lose their jobs
Does the Thundergod fall from his throne as well?
Or does Al'Akir, Metzen, survive unscaved.

Tell me Morhaime, does Metzen survive?
Or did activision defeat him and claim his mount?

unannounced projects

Titan?
technically that was a leak, i suppose.

You've all come to expect Blizzard to live up to our mission statement with every game, and deliver the most epic entertainment experiences ever.

I stay because my friends stay, it'd be like ending starwars at episode 5, or stopping harry potter at deathlyhallows 1 or stopping Lord of the Rings at 2
I intend on seeing this game through, however I do not expect you to deliver the entertainment I formerly experienced in the beginning of your projects.
I have suggested things that've been ignored, I've come to to terms.
Please Mr. Morhaiem. Do not say words niether of us believe in.