War College - Isle of Conquest

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 23 Next
docks have become a flimsy strategy against skilled teams because a single rogue or druid can burn down both glaive throwers before they are killed, even with a defending force. a group of rogues and druids is instant death.

that said, if the glaives aren't killed they burn down the door in under a minute and it's gg.
Dear Blizz,
Remove this Battleground, its just a really really really really really really really really really really really really bad combo of SotA and AV.
Queue pops

Sweet loading screen

ohhh crap IoC

/afk

/log on alt

note To blizzard love how the dock is much much closer to alliance base
as horde, have all Rogues and Feral druids go docks and wait for glaves to spawn and then kill them all and camp the glave spawn point. also helps if a couple of hunters help ambush the glaves on the road to the horde keep.
Well after just finishing some IoC I have thought of some things that might help(this is more for alliance side):

1)Assuming your gate has fallen and the horde is streaming to you base, all defenders should make a last stand in the boss room. For Alliance we can Deathgrip and Thunderstorm them to the boss, causing quite abit of chaos and buying time.

2)If your on Base Defense and just cant click on the bombs(due to the fact you keep getting hit by the horde) do your best to slow the horde down. Slow players=slower bomb drops.

3) There is a side passage on the west gate of the alliance keep. You can use if the horde has gotten docks and you need to kill glaives

4)For shaman, the quarry and oil refinery are a great place to TS people off :P. Mostly I do this to cap when it has melee defenders.
I really don't even know. I just run bombs and hope that I don't get this BG again.
I enjoy that the most common recommendation is to just quit, and thus I conclude that this must be the correct strategy.
Look the most important tidbit i can give is that someone NEEDS to defend what you captured.. especially the workshop. The entire advantage of the workshop is the siege engine... and if the opposing team gets the flag it restarts the countdown for its spawn.. so if they get it at all they pretty much have won. so if you get docks grab ws after... if you get WS DEFEND IT. stay on the flag. use aoes to stop cappers but NOT aoe dots ( I.E. Consecrate, Death and Decay) because they will not interrupt the channeling to cap a flag
Rush Docks. Whatever you do, don't let the glaives die. If they do, you lose.
This BG suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks
WELL go for the docks, and ALWAYS leave somebody to defend. The amount of times I've ninja'd workshop is ridiculous. Horde would get the Siege Engine, I would ninja, they would lose it.
03/01/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Knox
^^ Idk who the idiot was who came up with "player versus wall combat" but they need to be fired with the rest of the people that recently were.

That would be the kingdoms of Ancient China probably. Lord Cao Cao might be the man you wish to talk to... though you might want to bring General Tsun Tsu along with you... he wasn't a fan either and might be able to explain it better without risking getting run through with a spear...

Contrary to Warcraft standards... most cities do not leave their gates wide open with 2 guards with limited eyesight standing at the doorway. :P

Personally - I like siege warfare... it feels, well, like a real battle. (well, a balanced WG does at least. IoC is just AV - people rushing to the other side and not defending their lands... that's not a real war or battle. =(
03/01/2012 07:50 PMPosted by Meira
if you dont have anything productive to say then shut it!

its very productive...what was productive about what you said? at least mine was on topic...
03/01/2012 08:51 PMPosted by Meadows
^^ Idk who the idiot was who came up with "player versus wall combat" but they need to be fired with the rest of the people that recently were.

That would be the kingdoms of Ancient China probably. Lord Cao Cao might be the man you wish to talk to... though you might want to bring General Tsun Tsu along with you... he wasn't a fan either and might be able to explain it better without risking getting run through with a spear...

Contrary to Warcraft standards... most cities do not leave their gates wide open with 2 guards with limited eyesight standing at the doorway. :P

Personally - I like siege warfare... it feels, well, like a real battle. (well, a balanced WG does at least. IoC is just AV - people rushing to the other side and not defending their lands... that's not a real war or battle. =(

Thank you.

Anyways, there seem to be two strategies for the Alliance. The most popular strategy is to get the docks, defend the glaives, then break the walls down. The second strategy is to capture the hanger then parachute into the Horde keep to run bombs.

Now, the first strategy can result in a quick win. However, the glaives can be destroyed very easily so it is imperative that they be defended. Additionally, you have to defend the docks in case the glaives do get destroyed so you can make another attempt.
From A person who has obtained the Isle Master achievement over a long period of time, I am fascinated at how the stratagem has evolved over time. Here I plan to discuss the history as I believe it changed in BGs I was involved in, and will follow with Tips and strategy my group utilizes.

History. Round 1 - When this BG was new, it was typical for both sides to rush to the middle and meet at the Workshop for control of the demos. Most other areas were ignored, with the exception of the docks which were popular to control in order to get glaives for killing players. During this time an alliance premade became popular for waiting in the tower inside the alliance keep, and once the gate was down and GY was capped, they would pour out and camp horde, winning by resources.

Round 2- Alliance quickly learned that they had a time/distance advantage in gaining the docks flag. The glaives quickly tore down the gates, and horde lost many battlegrounds during this period. Horde attempted to go docks for some time to gain these amazing vehicles, but due to splitting between WS and Docks would cause a 40 on 20 massacre. Horde begins attempting to kill glaives.

Round 3- Horde decides killing glaives is essential, but sending 20 to kill glaives. This rarely worked, and horde expands into Hangar for airship cannons. Eventually horde determines that rogues should wait at glaive parking while demos and cannons break gates. Due to the habit of demos to go to the right side of alliance keep (west side), there was a period of trouble convincing slow learning drivers to go east. This is because the airship can shoot the east gate more than the west gate. For the same reason, alliance do not like getting the hangar + docks, because alliance cannons do not reach the glaive gate. Both sides begin to realize the importance of controlling quarry and refinery for vehicle damage bonus.

Present BG: Rock, paper, scissors? Today the horde tells all rogues, druids, and hunters to kill glaives. Alliance send a large scout group to glaive parking in advance to clear stealth. They also realize with no horde going docks, they can send 20-25 to WS to kill our 15 WS team. It is a gamble, as heavy forces to WS can really smash their momentum, or can stall us. Many times, it results in alliance controlling all vehicles, as well as the map. Keep defense inside has also increased, prioritizing stopping horde from running bombs.

Tips:
1. Make a macro and spam at beginning assigning hunters, druids and rogues to glaives. Split your team to hangar and WS, heavily defending WS. If alliance go hangar, they will be at a greater disadvantage. Specify to demo drivers to go Quarry side, and they should drive LEFT up the hill.
2. Airship cannons need to be manned for 2 circuits, this is a good job for low pvp gear players.
3. Tank should mark himself at beginning, and is best in a cannon until gate is down.
4. As a mage, I go to WS to help win any opposition, hesitating to pop Bloodlust unless necessary. I then head to Ally Keep to kill cannons on left from the ground, and defend the demos. If demos reach walls and cannons are destroyed, I will check quarry for possession.
5. I like to swap to PvE gear as I enter the room to kill boss, as dps. I think the Healers should remain in PvP gear, as well as the tank. I usually run with a tank, and having him declaring early and establishing a pull as soon as you pile in helps. Many games have been lost by hesitation. Do not tank boss near door. Too easy to be death gripped out of the room.
57% win rate. 101/177.