Is Blizzard done with race/class combos?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 15 Next
Time for new lore! Long as it makes sense lore should be filled with possibility rather than prevention. I look forward to things opening up in the future within reason!
We're long past the point of Lore having any impact on game mechanics. I'd be surprised if they don't just open it up entirely.

Really what's the reason anything can't become anything? Even after that, does it really matter? WoW isn't about story anymore. It hasn't been since before WOTLK.
Time for new lore! Long as it makes sense lore should be filled with possibility rather than prevention. I look forward to things opening up in the future within reason!
The problem is, everything else isn't within reason, with the exception of Gnome Hunters.

Pretty much. Gnome Paladins, Shaman, and Druids wouldn't work at all given the Gnome's dedication to science first and foremost. Worshipping nature and the light would be almost like committing treason. Even Gnome Priests aren't true Priests. They're scientists and medics who are bending this new "light based technology" and using it as more scientific advances. Druids, Shaman, and Paladins are all very spiritual and wouldn't work.

Hunters however are a perfect fit and already exist, just aren't playable.

@Ixelas

You still have to have some sort of lore justification for doing so. The ones that have been stretched, albeit being stretched, still weren't butchering of the lore. Draenei Warlocks, Gnome Druids, etc would be a gutting of the game's underlying story...you know the thing that does guide the game's design.
Druids, Shaman, and Paladins are all very spiritual and wouldn't work.

Yeah, because Goblins are so spiritual.
02/29/2012 05:48 PMPosted by Preaplanes
Really what's the reason anything can't become anything? Even after that, does it really matter? WoW isn't about story anymore. It hasn't been since before WOTLK.
That's nonsense and you know it.

What's nonsense is how some people are able to accept spoon fed plot holed reasons why a gnome can be a priest, but not a paladin, and how a goblin can be a shaman, but not a paladin.

There is no line of reason. It's all completely arbitrary, and frankly any race could become anything they wanted. They rebel against society, they find a master in an already established profession, they learn the ways of said profession, bam. They are; like many others, the exception to the rule.

Worgen Death Knights, Goblin Shamans, Gnome Priests... WARLOCKS? Like if we're throwing on artificial limitations for lore reasons, I just don't see it.
And you know what it also is? It's preconditioning people to the idea of Racism. That someone based on their ethnicity can't be different than others is pretty silly too. Who is to say there isn't a Goblin out there who is sick of the corruption, the greed, and everything that Goblins have somewhat stood for. In a world as free flowing, interaction, and as massive networks of travel as Azeroth, how could he not flee and learn the ways of the light.

Isn't Elune a Naruu as well? Shouldn't Night Elves be allowed to be paladins like Tauren? IS ANYONE ELSE SEEING THE INSANITY HERE?!
Yeah, because Goblins are so spiritual.
They made a contract with the elements. A lot more literal than usual, but still a trade agreement. It's a stretch, but not too much of one. The other two mentioned are the ones Goblins can't play.

Gnomes aren't all about making money and being capitalistic using whatever means neccessary, so Shaman don't make sense for them.

Yup. Goblins are also extremely new to Shamanism, having nowhere near the proficiency of some of the other races. They made their contract with elements given their proximity to the elements of Mt. Kajaro. They see it as nothing more than a business venture for power, similar to Gnomes being Warlocks.

However spirituality is something Gnomes don't believe in. They see everything as engineering, science, and inventions waiting to happen.

You can't suddenly erase years upon years of Gnomish lore which reinforced them as practical thinkers and scientific minds and suddenly say "oh now we have some light wielding church warriors."
02/29/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Preaplanes
They made a contract with the elements. A lot more literal than usual, but still a trade agreement. It's a stretch, but not too much of one. The other two mentioned are the ones Goblins can't play.

<.<

^.^

>.>

That is me, rolling my eyes.

As you can see, from your statement, the lore is crap. They made a contract with the elements? LOL. Like I said, Blizzard can and will do anything they want. All they have to do is make up some cheesy lore, and you guys will act like it's gospel.
[quote="41178646868"]I know you don't see it, but given your incredibly ignorant comments about the lore, I don't think you even want to see it.

I could explain easily why Paladin wouldn't fit a Goblin, and how Worgen may have fallen into the clutches of the Lich King, and why Gnomes aren't cut out for being Paladins.

Yet you also fail to address that I can explain ANY race/class combo, Period. In a fantasy world where people can fly, recover from death, swap professions(and thats what a class is, a profession) at the drop of a hat, and learn new things. There is no reason why any class is impossible for any race.

Twilights Hammer even shows MANY races that aren't warlocks being warlocks.

<.<

^.^

>.>

That is me, rolling my eyes.

As you can see, from your statement, the lore is crap. They made a contract with the elements? LOL. Like I said, Blizzard can and will do anything they want. All they have to do is make up some cheesy lore, and you guys will act like it's gospel.

Goblin have had Shaman far longer than WoW has been around or the idea was even pitched for 4.0.

@Ixelas

Twilight's Hammer cultists are Shadow Priests, not Warlocks.
02/29/2012 06:00 PMPosted by Bullettime
Goblin have had Shaman far longer than WoW has been around or the idea was even pitched for 4.0.

I just wish Blizzard wrote the lore so they could do anything they want.
Twilights Hammer even shows MANY races that aren't warlocks being warlocks.
Here

Draenei Warlocks can't exist, then they'd be Man'ari

Night Elf Warlocks also can't exist, because any connection they would have had to Fel magic would be horribly reinforced by losing most of their kingdom and their immortality to the Burning Legion. Most would rather die than work with demons.

Tauren are a peaceful race who aren't particularly adept at magic, at least the non-spiritual kinds. They've got the wrong mind and a lack of ability. They're not going to have warlocks.

Which is why they're Shadow Priests instead which actually makes sense. There aren't any actual Twilight's Hammer Warlocks as WoW Warlocks consult with demons and power from the Legion. Shadow Priests are similar except they draw their power more from the Old Gods. Every race in the game has Priests currently.

It's why you see the majority of the cultists using Mind Flay, Pain, Mind Blast, Shadowform, etc etc and not one uses Unstable Affliction or using demon pets.
02/29/2012 06:01 PMPosted by Martouff

I just wish Blizzard wrote the lore so they could do anything they want.

Ideas still have to make some sense given as long as they've been writing lore and continuing plots and such for each of the races.

Do you really think Metzen wants to take a dump on what's become his creations over the last 7 years?