Is Blizzard done with race/class combos?

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 6 7 8 15 Next
02/29/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Preaplanes
the only race/class left that DOES fit is the Gnome Hunter.

While I do agree Gnome hunters make perfect sense, there are still many other unavailable race/class combos that have support in lore.

Priestesses of the Moon in lore are already paladins in all but name, so Night Elf paladins make perfect sense.

There's no reason whatsoever why Worgen can't be paladins.

Blood Elves have a strong connection with nature, and there's already at least one Blood Elf druid in-game, so I see no reason playable Blood Elf druids can't be a reality.

While there's not much lore to support it currently, the paladin ideal is a perfect fit for the Orcish people, so Orc paladins wouldn't be much of a stretch.

To be honest, though, I'm getting more won over to the idea of "anyone should be able to be anything." It's not like there aren't already plenty of race/class combos that make no sense whatsoever: Gnome warriors, Goblin shamans...

I'd still prefer if Draenei and Tauren couldn't be rogues, though. Hooves aren't really conducive to stealth.
02/29/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Teyla
I might as well throw out my hopeless request for Night Elf paladins. It's supported by lore, and the Alliance hasn't gotten a new paladin race since BC.

If anything, horde needs more paladins. Alliance has three races that can be paladins with horde having only two...
02/29/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Bullettime
Do you really think Metzen wants to take a dump on what's become his creations over the last 7 years?

No, but I'm sure he loves money, and the more class/race options they make available, the more they make in premium services.
No, but I'm sure he loves money, and the more class/race options they make available, the more they make in premium services.
I'm sure he'd lose a lot of that money in subscriptions when he sees that people tend to drop off when everything becomes a nonsensical mishmash of models and classes.

I don't think every class should be every race, but there are still too many limitations.

As soon as the lore that makes those class/race combos available is written or clarified, you guys will act like it's always been the case, and justify it in the same way the hardcore lore people justify Tauren Paladins. It's a vicious circle...

1. You argue that a class/race combo doesn't make sense
2. Blizzard implements that class/race combo
3. You argue why it has always made so much sense
4. Players ask for another class/race combo
5. Repeat steps 1-4

I'm sure they'll lose some people who are really into the lore, but this is a GAME at it's core. Until another game can come close to the gameplay that WoW offers, they aren't going to lose a ton of people because of a little grey area in the story.
02/29/2012 06:20 PMPosted by Potatões
I might as well throw out my hopeless request for Night Elf paladins. It's supported by lore, and the Alliance hasn't gotten a new paladin race since BC.

If anything, horde needs more paladins. Alliance has three races that can be paladins with horde having only two...

The paladin/shaman ratio is in the Horde's favor already, 4 shaman and 2 paladins for Horde as opposed to 3 paladin and 2 shaman for Alliance.

The Alliance is also short one race/class choice. If they add another paladin race it should be Alliance.
02/29/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Preaplanes
Easily written off as "the curse". They're abberations, remember?

Yet Worgen priests can still channel the Light despite their curse.

Except that they have no connection to the Emerald Dream. No dream, no druid. Simple as that.

I'm sure people said the same thing about the Light and paladins, and yet now we have Tauren paladins that are not connected to the Holy Light. If Blood Elves can use druid abilities, they can be druids. Simple as that.

they pretty much loathe the whole concept of a Paladin.

Paladins are about honor, courage, and vanquishing evil. Orcs are about honor, courage, and vanquishing evil. I fail to see the split here.

They're preists that wear armor, that's about as much of a connection as they have.

Firstly, that's pretty much all a paladin is.

Secondly, they have been shown to frequently make use of abilities that function identically to paladin abilities. They can use the light of Elune to heal themselves or their allies and to harm enemies. Tyrande can blind her enemies with moonlight, an ability practically identical to the level 87 ability paladins get in MoP. She's also been seen using divine shield (for days on end, at that), and there's a scene in "Stormrage" in which she summons lunar spirits that are essentially Night Elven versions of the Guardian of Ancient Kings.

02/29/2012 06:23 PMPosted by Preaplanes
Yeah but the Horde has FOUR shaman while the Alliance has only two. See how this works? If anything, we need another Paladin. It's our iconic class, not yours, remember?

This I agree with.
1. You argue that a class/race combo doesn't make sense
2. Blizzard implements that class/race combo
3. You argue why it has always made so much sense
4. Players ask for another class/race combo
5. Repeat steps 1-4
Slippery slope argument, much? Try debating without a fallacy, please.

Except that, it's exactly what happens. Every time, with every new class/race combo.
02/29/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Nethaera
monk class will be available to all races save for goblin and worgen
'

What, are our claws to powerful for martial arts style fighting?

Methinks your afraid.
that is right, you would have an unfair advantage in hand to hand combat. Hairy cheater.
Here's the deal, folks.

1. Horde has the advantage with the shaman/paladin ration, which needs to be corrected. Night Elf paladins or Worgen paladins would make perfect sense, as Night Elves already channel the energy of a Naaru (though they won't admit it) and Worgen are Gilnean HUMANS. Personally, I believe Horde should never have gotten paladins and that Alliance should have never received shaman. In addition to the ratio imbalance, I believe I have seen people say before Alliance needs one more class combo, that needs to be done.
2. Blood elf druids exist in the lore. They aren't common, but they exist. Since the Sunwell is back up and running in a pure way, Blood elves that follow nature should be common.
3. Gnome hunters, yes. However I can't say they really need any other class combos.
4. Dwarven druids would be great, but Blizz sort of screwed themselves by making Trolls druids, so Troll paladins to balance that would signal the true death of WoW lore. Sorry, dwarf druids.
5.Any more Warlock combinations are impossible due to the races left for this class.

If I missed anyhting else, oh well.