Ironman Challenge

Dalaran
Is anyone else attempting this challenge?
yep, lots of people are doing this. =)

there's a website you can list your ironman alt on... www.wowironman.com

good luck!
in no way am i diminishing the efforts and time of others. nor am i saying i could just log in and do it myself today. that being said, based on the limited research i have done the accomplishment doesn't seem to have to same merit that i thought initially.
the "hardest" part is "getting started" (smart choices pre-60) and class choice. there is a reason a hunter and rogue are often early picks to try it. Yes, no talents, no enhancments, no "gear", etc etc puts a challenge. But really once you get started, in today's questing zones all you would have to do is quest only and take it one zone at a time. Never go into dungeons. I was reading that many of them choose to do daily repeatable quests later on in wotlk to avoid having to deal with Cataclysm mechanics. They don't do dungeons because you're at the mercy of others.

No dungeson
Quest in a zone or two behind level
Perform dailies
Log out during any "pause" in play
I know that near the beginning of cataclysm I leveled a tauren druid from 80-85 just from farming ore/herbs. I did the same thing with a second druid later but from 75-85 instead.

There are probably some people trying to do this in a completely legitimate way, and I respect the challenge in that, but there are a number of ways to circumvent what is arguably the most "difficult" stretch of leveling.
in no way am i diminishing the efforts and time of others. nor am i saying i could just log in and do it myself today. that being said, based on the limited research i have done the accomplishment doesn't seem to have to same merit that i thought initially.
the "hardest" part is "getting started" (smart choices pre-60) and class choice. there is a reason a hunter and rogue are often early picks to try it. Yes, no talents, no enhancments, no "gear", etc etc puts a challenge. But really once you get started, in today's questing zones all you would have to do is quest only and take it one zone at a time. Never go into dungeons. I was reading that many of them choose to do daily repeatable quests later on in wotlk to avoid having to deal with Cataclysm mechanics. They don't do dungeons because you're at the mercy of others.

No dungeson
Quest in a zone or two behind level
Perform dailies
Log out during any "pause" in play

Judging from this post I think you're showing a fundamental lack of knowledge of what the challenge entails, exactly, considering dungeons are strictly forbidden in it in the first place.

It is rather difficult, particularly at higher levels. There's a reason it took as long as it did for someone to complete it.

Hint: had you read the actual rules of the challenge, you'd know any of those ways that 'circumvent' the difficulty are in fact disallowed. The website is rather sophisticated with automatic disqualification, as well. If you do a dungeon, you're out. If you join a guild, you're out. If your kills and experience don't match up mathematically, you're out.

Judging from this post I think you're showing a fundamental lack of knowledge of what the challenge entails, exactly, considering dungeons are strictly forbidden in it in the first place.

It is rather difficult, particularly at higher levels. There's a reason it took as long as it did for someone to complete it.

Hint: had you read the actual rules of the challenge, you'd know any of those ways that 'circumvent' the difficulty are in fact disallowed. The website is rather sophisticated with automatic disqualification, as well. If you do a dungeon, you're out. If you join a guild, you're out. If your kills and experience don't match up mathematically, you're out.

Common sense (and the fact that 16 out of the top 20 are hunters) indicate a clear advantage. I will be far more impressed when a warrior completes the task.

Personally, I don't see the enjoyment of making a process I don't really care for in the first place more difficult, but sense I am not forced to level in this manner I can't say that it matters.

It is more of a challenge that I originally understood it to be, but I really think I would find it too tedious. I suppose there are bragging rights to consider, but I would vastly prefer to spend my free time a little more productively.

Common sense (and the fact that 16 out of the top 20 are hunters) indicate a clear advantage. I will be far more impressed when a warrior completes the task.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
;)

But yes, pet classes have it easier for obvious reasons, but that is completely unrelated to what I said above. It's almost like you just responded to something...random.

Personally, I don't see the enjoyment of making a process I don't really care for in the first place more difficult, but sense I am not forced to level in this manner I can't say that it matters.

See, I don't enjoy climbing mountains. I don't enjoy hiking that much in the first place, but climbing mountains? Screw that. I'm amazed *by* mountains, but I have no desire to ever climb Everest.

My lack of interest in doing so, however, does not give me free reign of speaking of the difficulty of it.

It is more of a challenge that I originally understood it to be, but I really think I would find it too tedious. I suppose there are bragging rights to consider, but I would vastly prefer to spend my free time a little more productively.

Productivity is, by most standards, subjective. I've not participated either, for much the same reasons; I absolutely hate leveling. But my lack of desire to do so doesn't indicate anything at all of the merits or difficulty of it to those that choose to take part in it.

Perspective is a funny thing that way too many people are unable to see past.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation
;)

But yes, pet classes have it easier for obvious reasons, but that is completely unrelated to what I said above. It's almost like you just responded to something...random.

It isn't random. You mentioned that there were pre-set rules which dictated how the challenge could be approached, I chose to look at these rules. The fact that hunters have such on obvious advantage, and that the rules do not disallow the use of certain classes, means that choosing a hunter automatically circumvents many key challenges that other classes have to face.

Feign death comes to mind.

See, I don't enjoy climbing mountains. I don't enjoy hiking that much in the first place, but climbing mountains? Screw that. I'm amazed *by* mountains, but I have no desire to ever climb Everest.

My lack of interest in doing so, however, does not give me free reign of speaking of the difficulty of it.

Common sense is what allows me to speak to the difficulty of it. My shaman in almost full ICC HM gear had a much easier time of leveling overall then my shaman in level 80 quest greens. This suggests that not using any gear at all outside of common items and trash items would make the task even more difficult.

My lack of interest only indicates that I am unlikely to actually try it.

Productivity is, by most standards, subjective. I've not participated either, for much the same reasons; I absolutely hate leveling. But my lack of desire to do so doesn't indicate anything at all of the merits or difficulty of it to those that choose to take part in it.

Perspective is a funny thing that way too many people are unable to see past.

I only suggested that I don't really see what merits people would find by accomplishing this task; I did not comment specifically on all potential merits that may exist because I do not know what they might be.

The fact that leveling can be accomplished faster with all of the tools available rather than the "ironman" fashion means that one method is more efficient than the other. The point of the challenge is to reach 85, the point of obtaining levels (in most cases) is to reach 85. The goal is the same, but the means are different.

I am not ignorant to other potential perspectives, but in this case I can say that my perspective is all that matters to me. This is fairly obvious by the fact that each statement began with "I". I didn't say other people should prefer to spend their free time more efficiently, or that you should, or that Cana should, but that I do.
leitka you dumb
03/03/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Kaysonus
leitka you dumb

gsob you bad
03/03/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Leitka

They are forbidden because you can use a Higher level character to clear the dungeon while the lower level gets credit. Just a second on this one...

1 - you only get flagged for doing dungeons if you actually KILL a boss. Guess what you have kill on the way to most bosses in most dungeons? Lots and lots of trash. Again, based on my limited research, all they're doing is zoning into a dungeon and leaving their "ironman" toon at the front while they use their Higher level to clear all the trash to the first boss and reset.

2 - the guy on MMO flat out admits that he did dailies instead of moving onto Cata zones. Again, it's not against the rules but is it really "ironman" to do outdated content "dailies"?

AGain, you can set up the "sophisticated rules" but I'm telling you right now people are just circumventing it. They're clearing trash in dungeons with a higher level and not killing bosses. While not against the rules they're performing previous tier dailies instead of moving onto the next zone.

Also, as mentioned, what a shocker that the majority of the success stories are a a pet class with the ability to feign death. Show me a priest that does that? Show me a warrior?

To me it's an exercise in time consumption and not letting yourself get impatient.

I'm going to make my own website and challenge: "Fingers to the bone"

The rules of my fingers to the bone are simple: You have to level a character 1-85 and never have a recorded kill. You have to level 1-85 doing nothing but mining or herbalism. You can not use glove enchants nor can you purchase a mount of any kind (Ground or flight). If you're attacked during mining or herbalism you are to take it to the face and die, you can't kill the enemy.

Again, how people choose to spend their time between now and Diablo 3 &/or MoP release is totally up to them. The thought of "ironman" is cool, no question. However, 5 minutes of research you realize it's very easily cheesed. Additionally it should be labeled: "Hunter Ironman" as no one who seriously wanted to pursue it would choose priest.
1 - you only get flagged for doing dungeons if you actually KILL a boss. Guess what you have kill on the way to most bosses in most dungeons? Lots and lots of trash. Again, based on my limited research, all they're doing is zoning into a dungeon and leaving their "ironman" toon at the front while they use their Higher level to clear all the trash to the first boss and reset.

Hello, wanton speculation to make it seem as though you're more learned on the subject than you actually are.

http://www.orderoftheiron.com/

No, the reason dungeons aren't allowed is because the entire process is meant to be a solo venture. Sure, running in with a higher level to clear stuff for you would also be a possibility, but that's not the reason it's disallowed. It's disallowed because it isn't solo (one rule violation, no parties), if queued via LFD it includes a damage buff (two violations, no buffs), and of course the third meta-violation of...no battlegrounds or dungeons.

Oh, and as to your '5 minutes of research' and claims about it being cheesed;
http://wowironman.com/
http://wowironman.com/faq
http://wowironman.com/rules

"No groups or assistance from other characters, even if not grouped. - Statistics for number of kills and number of killing blows are compared to see if the character has been getting outside help. If you're solo questing or grinding, you won't have to worry about this one."

I guess you didn't do that much research afterall. That, or you don't particularly understand what information can be gleaned from an armory profile and mathematics. Either way, I'm sure you'll tell me all about the 'research' you did into disproving some random people you don't even know. You simply can't help yourself on that front.

Sure, many of them are hunters. Many actual players are hunters, too. Not all classes level equally, hunters are an easy class to level, everyone knows that; but why is it of importance? Do you really have such a problem with people completing a challenge in the way they see fit that you have to criticize class choices? I mean, let's be real, doing it on a hunter or not...most of those players have still accomplished a *lot* more than you ever have, on their mains and on their ironman alts.

03/05/2012 09:32 AMPosted by Anon
Hey Leitka, I'm really jealous of your Heroic No'kaled.... :(

You should be. It's rad.
Look I thought it was a cool concept on initial reading. 5 minutes of research you realize it's not ironman beyond an exercise of time management. You could technically level to 85 doing nothing but mining...it would just take a long time.

Buzz me when a non-hunter does it, buzz me when priest does it, buzz me when a warrior does it.

03/05/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Leitka
most of those players have still accomplished a *lot* more than you ever have, on their mains and on their ironman alts.

LoL - Troll much?

03/05/2012 12:19 PMPosted by Cana
Look I thought it was a cool concept on initial reading. 5 minutes of research you realize it's not ironman beyond an exercise of time management. You could technically level to 85 doing nothing but mining...it would just take a long time.

K, let's just reduce it all to a basic and simple question, then;
This thread was about someone asking if anyone else was taking part.
You interjected with how "the accomplishment doesn't seem to have to same merit that i (you) thought initially." Why?

Your desire to undermine the work of others is, honestly, rather weird. No one was even talking about the subjective difficulty of it when you popped in. You just felt the need to tell everyone that you, Cana, gm of some random guild from Dalaran, felt that it wasn't as difficult as it should be. Ironman is still harder (and a better love story) than normal Dragon Soul.

Buzz me when a non-hunter does it, buzz me when priest does it, buzz me when a warrior does it.

I fail to understand how you can fall back on this after having acknowledged things like dailies.
Yes, being a hunter makes it easier, but being a hunter doesn't eliminate the possibility of dying by any stretch of the imagination. Any class can do it, you just have to know what you're doing and have a gameplan.

LoL - Troll much?

No, not trolling.
Kripparrian, the first to complete it, his main is also a hunter: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Cho%27Gall/Kripp/advanced
(and he's accomplished more than you, and is better than you, as stated above)

I'm sure if you dug into the identities of the other people high on the Ironman ladder, you'd notice that lots of them are very experienced players. Gee, I wonder what could be up there!

If anyone is trolling, it is you. Your initial post was not constructive, it was a derail to go off on a tangent about how it's not as hard as you originally thought, and how "really once you get started, in today's questing zones all you would have to do is quest only and take it one zone at a time."

As for leveling to 85 doing mining? Sure can. But you'd be disqualified if you did that for Ironman. I thought you said you read over the rules and whatnot?

"No professions or secondary skills, except for First Aid."
yep, lots of people are doing this. =)

there's a website you can list your ironman alt on... www.wowironman.com

good luck!

.... this alt died... back to the beginning.... =/
Sounds like a bunch of politics to me.

/rolls hunter.