Ji Firepaw

Story Forum
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
04/12/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Ralaar
They basically killed his character to replace him with a guy without any personality!

It isn't that bad; he still has loads of personality. There's a thread on the front page now, mostly protesting that change to his dialogue.
My guess is, what is going to cost Ji Firepaw dearly will either be personal, or societal.

Remember, the Pandaren on the Wandering Isle have been isolated for a long time, they only really know one another. . . .

All of the Pandaren adventurers, joining one side or the other, are going to lose a lot. It will be something like a civil war for them, brother against brother, and all that.
Ji Firepaw literally had ONE line changed. ONE LINE.

A line that was making some players feel a little bad.

You can't begrudge some players one line, can you?

Every other line he uttered is still intact, as is his creepy crush/awkward hitting on Aysa. He is not in any way, shape, or form neutered. If "hitting on ladies" is, to you, the crux of Ji's character, do not fear. He still hits on Aysa pretty constantly. No part of his character has been lost.

They changed one line because it made some players uncomfortable. That is not neutering a character or political correctness, it's called being courteous.

They changed one line because it made some players uncomfortable. That is not neutering a character or political correctness, it's called being courteous.

The point is that it creates a precedent, a very unsavory precedent that speaks volumes of how far the devs are willing to go to please a vocal (and brainwashed) minority.

Though to be fair, my comment about Blizzard "becoming Bioware" was solely in the context of political correctness and enforcing such nonsense in such a manner, not meant to criticize any other aspect and quality of their work.

It's just that such precedents imply some unpleasant possibilities for future lore creation/development, hence the worry over the topic.
03/19/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Magykos
So, what do you think will happen to this guy?

He will be revered as the being who killed the most inactive person in the horde.

Thrall.

And he will expunge the Sha tainting Garrosh, making him the leader the horde deserves.

Every other line he uttered is still intact, as is his creepy crush/awkward hitting on Aysa. He is not in any way, shape, or form neutered. If "hitting on ladies" is, to you, the crux of Ji's character, do not fear. He still hits on Aysa pretty constantly. No part of his character has been lost.

Meanwhile, flirts are still obnoxious, Malfurion is commanding his warrior-priestess lover to shut up, and Garrosh is still calling Sylvanas a "clever !@#$%."

I like the new line better, and I wish they'd change more of it to make Ji seem like more of an impulsive firebrand instead of a dense git but this has the sour undertaste of a cave-in.
Our story is already suffering. Dont mistake having story equates to have good story. Ive meet alot of Horde player very unhappy with what has happened to the horde.

Id love to see Blizz actually give this type of story to allaince complainers and see how they like it. Personally Im getting really sick of seeing my faction dragged through the mud and made to look like idiots.

Oh god..the irony is so...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

If you didnt know it looks like the roles are reversing in this xpac with the Alliance dealing damage ( like we did in Cata)

Dont get me wrong I love the Horde but..now we're getting rid of Garrosh and getting Green Jesus back I just dont see a reason to support them as much. Garrosh was so...I dont know he just had the brutal warrior closet tyrant bit down and that made him awesome, his Horde took a lot of Kalimdor, his Horde spat on the Alliance and FINALLY is going to take Theramore out ( why have we let an Alliance harbour of that size stay around for so long anyway?) and now, since we stretched ourselves thin we will get our share of losses ( hoping that we get roflstomped out of Arathi with a re-established human kingdom there and the Alliance survivors left in the Barrens that get cut off with the fall of Theramore bust through the WOODEN gate and the Tauren starting zones are updated to involve some gorgeous interfaction combat) ..In short.

Thrall is a man of peace and thinking.
Garrosh is an ORC of action and doesn't take crap from King big chin and his fabulous super best friend club.

Garrosh and Varian are the two guys we need in charge in this war so that eventually both factions tear themselves apart. The Horde through distrust and inter-racial tensions and the Alliance through the breaking of the economy in trying to support this war ( be a perfect end to WoW I think if it had to end..)

TL;DR- !@#$ Thrall we need Garrosh to stay in charge so WoW can end with a bang caused by both factions hatred and warmongering instead of a corny ending that involves peace and hippy crap

Wow..I think I totally went off track..
As for the OP, I'm pretty sure it's referring directly to his damaged relationship with Aysa.

You seem to be ignoring the principle of it for the quantity.

Writer integrity means nothing if he can't get his/her writing out there. The words weren't simply changed: his meaning was.

And it's an all-too-common trend with Blizzard. Before this, they renamed some of the Brewmaster abilities to have less of an emphasis on getting drunk. Even though that's the point of the abilities.

And going back further than that, it was the same thing with WoTLK. People complained about having to do morally reprehensible things in the DK starting area because children were playing the game(but these complaints largely came post-launch, and Blizzard held their stance on not changing the DK starting area). And also, WoTLK had to be massively delayed in China because the Chinese government would not allow Blizzard to release a product that showed skeletons. And so Blizzard's artists had to spend valuable time re-doing much of the major artwork in WoTLK since, you know, skeletons are a pretty big part of an expansion themed around the Undead. So complaints about things like Ji's dialogue are actually a big deal. It brings about censorship from Blizzard. It waters down the artistic integrity of the game.

And yes, this one line of dialogue being changed from Ji does sully his character. It's not that he's a womanizer, it's that he doesn't think things through when he says them. If female players were getting offended at his first line of dialogue, then that's a good thing because it means those players won't like Ji, and therefore will side with Aysa when the time comes. Because the entire point of the starting area is to show you two different philosophies and then have you choose a faction based on which philosophy you want to follow.

Ji's over all philosophy and character are still there, but it's now watered down.

And Blizzard knows this. Don't think for a second that they didn't just change it to placate the complaining of a minority of loud players.
One Line.

And he still flirts mercilessly with Aysa.

They didn't water down anything.
Again, you're ignoring how this is just the latest event in a trend that has been happening since WoTLK.And, again, it DID change his character, because now he is not thinking what is on his mind. Worse, what he is saying is still a flirt, it's just very subtle--almost as if he put thought into what he was going to say.

Which is entirely against his character.
The issue about writer integrity is spot-on. I mean hell, we still have that torture quest in Amber Ledge, don't we? People complained up a storm about that during WotLK's release but it's still there. How did this tiny non-issue become worthy of a change?

However, implying that it waters down Ji's character, or has any relevance on his story at all? No, it doesn't. It is a tiny, meaningless change as far as in-game implications go. If this issue had never come up, but the change was made anyway, then nobody would have noticed and nobody would have cared. The real issue with it is entirely out-of-game. It's just shameless pandering.
http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/12/ji-firepaws-beta-dialog-gets-a-rewrite/

Here's the article on this blatant exercise of social and cultural degradation.

They gave a pandaman personality... then some political correctness obsessed maniacs came along and cried about it... so now he's a blank slate without a drop of character.

I think Blizzard is turning into Bioware...

both articles related to his phrase were utter stupidity. He called both genders attractive, but the exact wording was different since you don't directly call another man attractive, its just awkward in most societies. any sexism in the comment was projected by these people , and didnt actually exist. The fat that blizzard changed it saddens me.

both articles related to his phrase were utter stupidity.

Well, mass media are one of the primal sources of said stupidity in the first place, so expecting them to not write articles in such a manner is pointless.

But one would hope that a creative content development company, aka a game developer with major products centering around story as much as gameplay, wouldn't have the same inclinations.

One could go so far as draw a parallel between such events and book burning or art burning. Why allow creative freedom? It's HERESY in the eyes of the modern day democrazy world and must be purged by fire!
04/13/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Malanis
But one would hope that a creative content development company, aka a game developer with major products centering around story as much as gameplay, wouldn't have the same inclinations.

You're basing this off the assumption that Ji Firepaw was supposed to be that kind of character.
04/13/2012 05:41 PMPosted by Seiryu
You're basing this off the assumption that Ji Firepaw was supposed to be that kind of character.
Ji Firepaw follows the Huojin philosophy, which states "inaction is the greatest injustice".

Absolutely everything he does in the starting area is "Act first, think about it later if you feel like it".

Everything.

Including his dialogue.

This change is going to be the one exception that Blizzard hopes no one notices. Because, admittedly, the only people who are going to know of this glaring character inconsistency are going to be the ones who paid attention to this issue. Otherwise they'll just write it off as flavor text because most players don't care about the lore anyways.
04/13/2012 07:12 PMPosted by Drailen
This change is going to be the one exception that Blizzard hopes no one notices. Because, admittedly, the only people who are going to know of this glaring character inconsistency are going to be the ones who paid attention to this issue. Otherwise they'll just write it off as flavor text because most players don't care about the lore anyways.

Sadly this.

But so it goes...
Just because he acts and speaks before he thinks does not require him to flirt with all women. It cannot be said that the removal of that bit of dialogue watered down his character. If it is not replaced with something suitably hot headed, than it would, but that's on the basis of what it is changed to, not that it was changed at all.
04/13/2012 11:20 PMPosted by Arkturas
Just because he acts and speaks before he thinks does not require him to flirt with all women.

He doesn't flirt with all women, just the player character and maybe Aysa at certain times.

He's not a pervert by any stretch of the word, he just isn't a prude. (And I agree that he truly is watered down if they don't give a better alternative than "poised and ready"... which is so boring.)
Given this I think I'll start a petition to get the whole questline with Riko and Kyira or whatever the heck her name is changed. I have a serious moral issue with monkey-on-undead love and I'm offended that a talking, poop-throwing monkey would have feelings for an undead creature.

Absolutely appalled and it really creeps me out.

/eyeroll