Glyph of Demon Hunting (warlock tanks)?

Warlock
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next
whats the cd on soulshatter?

for ppl saying demo tanks wouldnt be viable, i've seen yesterday a warlock reforge his gear into mastery (about 22 mastery total) and he got a 71% dmg reduction in meta. and that is not to mention the 600% armor buff from meta, which is about another 70% physical dmg reduction.
the tools are there, if blizzard wants to, they just need to tweak the numbers.

the reason i believe locks wont be actual tanks are 2:
1st is that they have what most tanks always desired: reduced avoidance for increased mitigation. the way things are, locks would be the best tanks for most fights.
2nd is that a demo warlock, even out of meta, still does more dps than an actual tank, so unless they nerfed our base dmg while using the glyph, we'd be the best tanks dps and aggro wise.
The CD on soulshatter is 8 seconds while glyphed I believe.
03/25/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Sasofrass
The CD on soulshatter is 8 seconds while glyphed I believe.

yes it's 8 seconds.. we are missing some things.. but we have most.. and some of which we have too much of.. it's just a matter of blizzard tweaking the numbers.. to what they want it to be.. we can easily be "put in our place" so to speak...

but honestly... people have been doing weird stuff to solo bosses for awhile... i think a warlock being able to solo morchok 10N is a bit much... even soloing the heroics... but i mean.. DKs can solo bosses in ICC.. didn't one solo arthus? so it's not like going back and soloing thing is just "insane"...

it all boils down to what blizzard wants in the end.. but for the most part people seem to be for it..

also.. for the people that keep saying "but they don't have vengeance".. vengeance is buffs the tank's attack power.. if we use spell damage and not physical damage.. what do we need vengeance for?
It does need to get scaled downwards, though, as it is still extremely over powered at the moment, mitigation wise and damage wise.

Right now it still gives the damage boost, find out how much of a boost damage wise you'd get from meta without glyph, and basically we're getting that right now along with the damage reduction
whats the cd on soulshatter?

for ppl saying demo tanks wouldnt be viable, i've seen yesterday a warlock reforge his gear into mastery (about 22 mastery total) and he got a 71% dmg reduction in meta. and that is not to mention the 600% armor buff from meta, which is about another 70% physical dmg reduction.
the tools are there, if blizzard wants to, they just need to tweak the numbers.

the reason i believe locks wont be actual tanks are 2:
1st is that they have what most tanks always desired: reduced avoidance for increased mitigation. the way things are, locks would be the best tanks for most fights.
2nd is that a demo warlock, even out of meta, still does more dps than an actual tank, so unless they nerfed our base dmg while using the glyph, we'd be the best tanks dps and aggro wise.

Demo tanks would definitely be viable, although they might be too viable with the way they're currently designed. Base mitigation is inherently superior to equivalent avoidance levels, so we'll probably lose some of it in favor of some avoidance.

1- I see where you're coming from on this one. I think Blizzard fully intends to add in some sort of stat conversion for avoidance. (maybe crit-dodge?)

2- That's a bug. Two actually. On the beta, Demo is ridiculously OP regardless of the glyph, and the glyph isn't removing the damage increase from Demonic Fury like it should.
2nd is that a demo warlock, even out of meta, still does more dps than an actual tank

03/25/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Confuzzle
2- That's a bug. Two actually. On the beta, Demo is ridiculously OP regardless of the glyph, and the glyph isn't removing the damage increase from Demonic Fury like it should.

i have considered a bug where meta still keeps the dmg bonus. my point was even out of meta (that is, even without the bug), locks still do more dps than tanks, both in beta and live.
well demo itself is also a DPS spec.. similar to how feral druids could tank but also be high DPS with cat form... Meta form is not a "tank form" by default for warlocks.. it's actually a DPS boost and a DPS cooldown on live.. with a glyph it is supposed to take that damage boost and make it a damage reduction boost instead... so yes.. a warlock out of demo form should still be able to out DPS a tank.. just like druid in cat form will out DPS a tank.. or should...
Ideally, I would like to see the need to maintain two sets of gear even if it stays as a 'glyphed tank' scenario.

It just seems like part of the deal to have to maintain two sets of gear for two different roles, and as it stands now, Demon Tanks could run with their DPS gear and rock socks as Tank or DPS.

So, yeah, I think we need to see Dodge or Parry introduced into the mix, and my own .02 says it should be Parry, not Dodge.

Why? Because I don't think Demons should ever try to dodge anything. That implies fear of being damaged. Parry implies 'Oh look, you tried to hit me and I accidentally caught your blade with my mouth. Try harder.'
03/25/2012 07:27 PMPosted by Infernalist
Why? Because I don't think Demons should ever try to dodge anything. That implies fear of being damaged. Parry implies 'Oh look, you tried to hit me and I accidentally caught your blade with my mouth. Try harder.'

I like your thinking
A post about many of the abilities a warlock possesses:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1104297-To-beta-warlocks?p=16117169&viewfull=1#post16117169
03/25/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Psyops
I don't like this. I play a Warlock to be a pure DPS, not some weird tank.

Don't get the Glyph. Just it.
WTB Blue post
03/25/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Indead
i have considered a bug where meta still keeps the dmg bonus. my point was even out of meta (that is, even without the bug), locks still do more dps than tanks, both in beta and live.

This is a valid point I tried out. I just spammed shadowbolt, had corruption up, used HoG and had my felguard autoattack. That's it

Did 12k.

I'm in 394 ilvl. It's higher, but not toooo bad tbh. Perhaps we can just have reduced damage in Meta form in exchange for more threat.
This is a valid point I tried out. I just spammed shadowbolt, had corruption up, used HoG and had my felguard autoattack. That's it

Did 12k.

12k? thats just too low, you're probably doing something wrong.
03/25/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Psyops
I don't like this. I play a Warlock to be a pure DPS, not some weird tank.

Then don't tank and let the rest of us enjoy it.
But locks have no dodge/parry,etc... we'd be constantly sitting there taking high hits to the face... unless we OT.

Then again DK's don't use dodge or parry as their primary stats, they rely on their self healing as it appears we would be doing something similar

In any case i like the ability to solo stuff so this looks like it will help with that

Additionally mists is in very early beta, so if blizz does want us to tank it will become apparent soon enough
I have been dreaming of this since the days of fire stones and armor gloves from AQ40. GOGO BLIZZ!
03/25/2012 09:24 PMPosted by Guuldaann
But locks have no dodge/parry,etc... we'd be constantly sitting there taking high hits to the face... unless we OT.

No, because of the mitigation build currently, warlock tanks are vastly superior to any other tank right now on the beta. We have such high mitigation, we barely take a hit.

Then again DK's don't use dodge or parry as their primary stats, they rely on their self healing as it appears we would be doing something similar

DKs depend on their mastery which puts a physical absorption shield on the DK which can stack super high, not really relying on their self healing. They rely on being able to keep up their absorption shield from their mastery.

Mastery for warlocks reduce all damage taken by a certain %. This is extremely powerful if it stacks high.

We'll just soak all the damage. Having all attacks reduced by 90%+ is about the same as CTC.