The Decline and Fall of Warlocks in Cataclysm

Warlock
Prev 1 3 4 5 9 Next
Forum ate my post -_-

Anyway the article is pretty well crafted and has enough substance that it insists on being taken seriously. It should get Blizzard attention, even if they don't come out and say it. Now is the time for them to be hearing those angles.

Bottom line is I'm taking my lock to 85 and maybe even into MoP, but if I do it's not because the class has been a real performer for me. My mage and priest can, in their own ways, do just about the same job better. It'd be nice to see them let the class step up into it's own.
At 1171 rating, Demo is MORE than "viable".

Not sure what you are talking about. On arena three teams rated 2200+ demo represents less than .4% of specs playing. It has even less representation in 2's and 5's. Destruction isn't doing much better -- pulling about .8% in 3's and lesser representation in 2's and 5's. Affliction is over 8% in 3's.

It's true you can spec and play demo or destruction for PVP but the specs lack synergy with other classes. Teams that want a bursty caster are going to bring a mage instead of a demo or destruction lock.
I doubt Blizzard will acknowledge an outside post like that. That said it's so well compiled and makes for a great read.
03/31/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Yaliw
In the perfect world, all classes would be played equally right? So, every class would be played 10% each.

In a Perfect world all classes would have the ability of multiple utility. That way you would never run out of things to do or people that had the potential to fill roles.
Great read!
Interesting read. It brings to mind some of the difficulties I've had leveling this character.

I rolled this character in Vanilla. I quit before BC came out, and resubscribed last December. This lock was my favorite character bar none back then, and among all of the changes that have happened in the game the most surprising to me is just how painful leveling a warlock has become, compared to other classes. The killing speed just hasn't kept up with the changes. When killing a mob in 30 seconds wasn't out of the ordinary, putting your dots on a mob and drain tanking was competitive. Now it's not; I've leveled a hunter and warrior to 85 and there is simply no competition.

It doesn't surprise me that a lot of people would stop playing locks while leveling. I was an altoholic in vanilla and there is no class or spec that I played that came close to the ease and comfort of leveling an aff lock. Now it seems like they're one of the most difficult, especially at the stat jump at 60, where mobs can survive the duration of your dots, making multidotting an uncertain strategy (I was initially so dejected I shelved this character until I got her heirlooms. At 65 it got a whole lot better after some quest rewards and the heirlooms, but for someone leveling without heirlooms, it gets painful at 60).

It's not any better in instances. Mobs die before I can even get all my dots up! Slow leveling outside instances, frustrating gameplay inside instances don't make for a good combination. Honestly if I weren't leveling this character specifically for raiding, I'd just have shelved her.

Fearing a mob beating on the healer hasn't lost any of it's charm though.
Except for the part where it feels like fear breaks on a soft breeze now. I remember fear being unreliable; sometimes it lasted forever and sometimes it broke immediately, but now it seems useless unless nothing is touching the mob at all.
03/30/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Honestly, I think bliz would do well to scrap port and just give us a blink clone.

Or just some demonic teleport system, like Perothan does in Well of Eternity.
Better yet, how about an incinerate ride? The warlock casts incinerate, but it stands still. And a fireproof saddle sits upon it to protect the nads. And the warlock zips at incinerate speed toward destination.

I'm a genius.
Better yet, how about an incinerate ride? The warlock casts incinerate, but it stands still. And a fireproof saddle sits upon it to protect the nads. And the warlock zips at incinerate speed toward destination.

I'm a genius.

See, that's a troll comment.

But demo locks have a problem getting out of melee range after jesusjumping in.

And no, I will not accept my demonic circle as a part of my rotation.
only time I ever "Jesusjump" in is when I need to chain CC against a healer or something. IMO better to save it in the event you need to gtfo, and still have your portal up so if they keep following you just pull back to your portal. can lead to some very confused attackers and put up quite a bit of distance between you and that warrior that blew its charge following your leap
Thank you, thank you, thank you Cynwise. I really hope Blizz reads this while they are gutting our class in beta and rebuilding.

I have never been so frustrated with WoW as I have been in Cata. So many times I wanted to just quit or reroll....but I decided to stick with my lock to see what MOP brought.

When I heard we were getting the most work I was super excited, until I saw what they were doing. Now I think they are just making a big hot mess. The whole tanking fiasco, I've mostly skimmed posts about how the specs are playing in beta. From what little I have read it seems most of them are broken, or not performing right so its hard to test them. This time if its not fun out the gate, I'm rerolling.
04/02/2012 01:49 AMPosted by Thenneset
only time I ever "Jesusjump" in is when I need to chain CC against a healer or something. IMO better to save it in the event you need to gtfo, and still have your portal up so if they keep following you just pull back to your portal. can lead to some very confused attackers and put up quite a bit of distance between you and that warrior that blew its charge following your leap

Except MoP Jesusjump no longer has CC aspect to it, and seems to be controlled so that you jump to your target.
A lot of you are saying that the class needs to attract new Warlocks. I keep thinking about switching my main to Warlock, but I'm on the edge.

How much am I on the edge? Look at my profile picture, I'm a Discipline priest who has transmogged into Warlock Tier gear, lol.

What would push me over the edge? Green Fire. =P
Great blog!

I'm still going with my Opion though that it's mainly a two fold thing.

1.) Low-Mid level PvP blows for locks we need all are tools to make a fair fight of it and that just don't happen at Low-Mid level.

2.) Warlocks just are not your avage class. They are harder to play. That probly turns alot of people off along with the Low-Mid level pvp if they were trying out Warlock pvp.

3.) Side note and dont know if this matters but it can also be hard to do good dmg with your lock in 5 man pugs when leveling low-mid range. Mobs get bursted down fast and warlocks dps starts of low and slowly raises with level ablitys/gear more so then alot of other classes that I have played.

Thats just my opion and feelings.
Has nothing to do with mechanics. It has never been a popular class. Why would someone want to be a emo goth version of a mage when they can be an actual mage?

Because I like evil and darkness, not you prissy little mages. DOn't expect a pally of all classes to understand.

And given the later comments in your post, I pray you're trolling.

Although indeed my post was all in good fun, there is one thing that seems to be holding true. People prefer the classes that have more of a noble or honorable feel to them. Rogues are a less played class, but there's the whole honor among thieves thing going on. Death Knights are an outlier, but they also start at a much higher level, so they are more accessible to most people as an alt. They also didn't choose to be what they are, but were instead forced into it. The entire theme around warlocks is that they are dark, emo, etc. It really is just less appealing.

For paladins, it doesn't matter how bad the class is from a game standpoint (this has been proven through vanilla, and the burning crusade where paladins simply were not designed to be a good class. Anyone remember pvp gear for paladins that had no resiliance?). People just really like the theme of paladins. Noble, just, honorable protectors of the weak and vanquishers of evil. The class is popular no matter what.

I am not dissing people that do in fact enjoy the style of warlocks. It has a niche audience, just like certain music genres can have a strong following of fans, yet never be as popular as rock, country, or hip hop. It doesn't make the music any worse. The artists can be just as good or better than the artists of the mainstream genres. That doesn't change the fact that the style is less appealing to a broad audience.

The point I am getting at is that there's more to it than just the mechanics of how the play classes. I don't feel the class design flaws (whether perceived or real) are anywhere close to being strong enough to have such a drastic impact on the number of warlocks.

It should also be mentioned that these statistics will never be very accurate. There's too many problems with collecting this type of data. It's fun to look at, and it can provide some ideas, but I don't think the data we have collected is accurate enough to look at such small percentange changes. Now, if warlocks went from being a massively played class to hardly played at all, the data could be used for showing that. When we are talking about drops of a few percentage points, then we run into data collection errors.

I have no doubt that warlocks are the least played class and that rogues are right down their with them. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be the least played class. They don't need to artificially give bonuses to the least played just to make them more popular. Some things just can't be explained away as the class being too hard or not doing enough dps. There's more to it than that. You can't ignore the possibility that people may just not like the idea of warlocks no matter how the mechanics are designed.
04/02/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Bravehearth
Although indeed my post was all in good fun, there is one thing that seems to be holding true. People prefer the classes that have more of a noble or honorable feel to them. Rogues are a less played class, but there's the whole honor among thieves thing going on. Death Knights are an outlier, but they also start at a much higher level, so they are more accessible to most people as an alt. They also didn't choose to be what they are, but were instead forced into it. The entire theme around warlocks is that they are dark, emo, etc. It really is just less appealing.

Typically, you'll find the hybrid classes are far more popular than the pures, which kind of obscures the good/evil effect you're looking at (the two "evil" classes are pure DPS).
04/02/2012 12:43 PMPosted by Thrinwizzle
Typically, you'll find the hybrid classes are far more popular than the pures, which kind of obscures the good/evil effect you're looking at (the two "evil" classes are pure DPS).

Actually that doesn't obscure what I said at all. Rogues aren't evil in the sense that warlocks are, and they aren't as unpopular as warlocks either.

Why are hunters so much more popular than warlocks despite hunters being overall a more complicated class for pvp. They are certainly higher in the "clunky" department as far as classes go. But they just look fun to a wider audience, despite how the class works.

What I am trying to tell you all is that you can't look at this data which has it's own collection issues from the start, but even if the data is 100% accurate, it's not telling the whole story. A massive poll would need to be conducted (scientifically of course) to look at factors of why people play certain classes and not others. The problem is that people here are looking at one set of data but ignoring all the other factors that come into play, some of which are hard to measure without having the support of Blizzard in order for you to conduct a study.