The Decline and Fall of Warlocks in Cataclysm

Warlock
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next
@Maleficent

You realy should read the article. It's a very good read. Well thought out with real facts and charts and it's like it was coming straight out of a good gaming mag.
There are some good reasons why people give up on warlocks before hiting end game.

1.) If your new to WoW or even Warlocks your not going to like Random BG's at all. Your just going to keep geting your ars handed to you all the way though it no matter how good your gear is or you are. But you can still grind out honor fairly easly with DoT's dmg. Your just going to die alot. I suspect this do's not help people to stay with there locks.

2.) On the PvE side. Low-Mid level 5-mans I had to first notice I was sucking so much ars with Affliction and even Demo to try out Destro. Destro is the spec to be doing low-mid level 5-mans. Your just going to suck with the other two till higher levels.

Becouse the mobs are mostly geting bursted down way to fast for the other two specs to do any dps on anything other then a Boss. Around the time my Demo spec got both Hand of Gul'dan and the Felguard got Fel Storm is around the time Demo was not to bad.

The much longer cast times on low level Affliction/Demo Nukes kills them in the lower-mid levels and Hunters/Rouges/Mages blowing everything up before you can get one nuke off or dots can do some dmg kinda sucks for Affliction/Demo at first.

So I think that also do's not help keep Warlock players ether.

Now add in the fact that your End game raid dps tanks if you screw up even alittle bit of your rotation and your not normaly at the top but in the middle ya.

For as hard as End game warlocks have to work they need to be in the Top 5 everytime when they get it right. Becouse when we get it wrong that will at least place use somewere in the Middle-low end reather then totaly fubar.

Edit: So basicly what happends here is that warlocks are heavly punshed for using anything but Nukes in group PvE till higher levels and PvP is a hole differnt ball of wax.

Look at it this way you basicly go from Blowing stuff up witht he Rouges and Mages and Hunters in PvE but then you get forced into being a Presser DPS+CC guy for PvP just after being a Bursty kind of DPS for most of your leveling. That my friends is just jacking with peoples heads.

I think you brought up a great point about the low level PvP. I'm pretty sure I tried rolling a warlock 3-4 times (I usually level purely through battlegrounds) and quit because DoTs at lower levels mine as well not even be there. Fear is worthless. Your nukes hit for an embarrassing amount. Most of my time was spent at the GY.

I can only imagine how many prospective warlocks this has turned away.
Also, many locks (when soloing) will dot up the mobs and let the pet tank... and that is a habit that does NOT work well in a group with everyone else having a burst that takes mobs down faster than i could cast one nuke. Yeah, trash is trash but it still effects your DPS for the run by all the DPS Charters.
One thing we all know for sure is that there is SOMETHING that turns people off about warlocks.

I've had at least three diffrent occasions where I've been asked by a highly skilled player "what class should I lvl next?" And my answer is always warlock. When I refer to High Skill Guys, I mean players who are significantly better than I am ( not too hard to do). But they NEVER do.

One guy that asked me was the best player I have ever been around. Granted my experience is limited and mine is supposed to be a backwater server. But when I say the bast I mean the very best I've ever seen. One of those who can play and class/spec vs any class/spec and win with ease. But he absolutely refused at any time to roll a lock.

And to make matters worse I've never gotten one of these guys to tell me why they don't want to. For myself this is my favorite character. He's the default choice for me. Simply cause it's the most fun.
@Darmand

If I was as good as your friend I probly would not pvp with a Lock ether.

To be a lock is like to be the guy that assist (insert basketball star name here) every shot but never gets to realy shot yourself.

Thats just not as fun as making the shot yourself.
A little off topic but... People should realize that MoP Warlocks will have several incarnations. Some specs may lean toward OP and need nerfs. Some specs will be weaker and need buffs. There are some things that can only be seen during live play. What we should hope for is that deva realize sometimes changes require a scalpel and not a chainsaw. There is a lot changes in the next expansion. We could easily have a Cata repeat if they are heavy handed at the start of the next expansion.
04/17/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Avatarroku
We could easily have a Cata repeat if they are heavy handed at the start of the next expansion.

I hate to be speaking bad things into existence but this is what i have come to expecr from Blizzard, but there is always a chance they will get it right or at least handle it well.
Cyn, grats on the article. It is very well written.
If not for my achievements/mounts and the fact that I lead a awsome guild I'd have quit playing warlock long ago. I simply cant push the dps other classes can, even in max gear. PvP wise I cant stay alive long enough.

I leveled a Priest and since then have been healing the majority of raids anyway.

I agree 100% warlocks are disappearing, and Im one of them.
I disagree with part of the latest post he made about mental "chunks" of information. Specifically, I disagree with the idea that more abilities or types of abilities necessarily leads to additional chunks to keep track of. At least from personal experience, even with something with as many different abilities as demo, I only use two chunks for the entire priority: 1) all debuffs and short cooldowns (HoG, shadowflame, soulburn), 2) long cooldowns (metamorphosis, demon soul, doomguard/infernal). As for my nukes (shadow bolt, incinerate on MC proc, soul fire execute), I don't even have to think about them.

I think that difficulty comes more from how well you can organize the abilities into chunks, how frequently you need to switch between which chunks you're casting spells from, and what decisions you need to make about what spell to cast that isn't made for you (i.e. you know when to cast shadowflame or similar abilities like mind blast: when its not on cooldown, same with DoTs, refresh without clipping a tick or losing uptime, whereas other abilities, such as soul fire to maintain ISF, how big an ignite you want for combustion, or whether to use eviscerate or refresh SnD/recuperate aren't as clear cut), as well as how frequently these decisions need to be made. These reasons, not a higher number of abilities, are why destro is considered the hardest of the three warlock specs.
Kaleva
85 Human Warlock
Knights of Legend
I think blizzard may justify some of the outrage/nerfbat by the high number of top arena teams with locks on them.

Sort of if they are on all the top teams they must be too strong. Just my guess.

Well it does kinda make sense don't it.
04/22/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Insitria
Well it does kinda make sense don't it.

Not at all.

Just because there are a few super rich people, should the prices of everything be increased?

Just because there are a few crippled people, should every structure be handicap-friendly?

Just because there are a few midgets in the world, should everything be made smaller?
Please tell me others have called BS on these threads?

The lock in question cynwise never raided in T11 or T12 and hasn't done much PvP in any season of this expansion.

As much effort and thought process put into these articles, why wouldn't you enrich yourself more into a class that you're trying to critique?

Locks may be misrepresented in low level twink play, but that's not the case at level 85. I would like a spec with less ramp up time, Demo does have burst but any lock who's worked on Heroic spine knows our shorfalls compared to other classes when it comes to nuking the tendon - I do believe that destruction has been atrocious this entire expansion and that spec usually catered to those who wanted a less complex rotation. However, that now resides with affliction, which if it wasn't for DOT cleaving doesn't provide the kind of single target DPS most players expect.

I do think this is QQ and doesn't provide the real probloms we face going into Pandoria - and that is the destruction of the DOT cleave by blizzard.

The class has long had a tradition of being one of the more complicated classes in Warcraft, with lots of buttons and demanding rotations that require players to juggle multiple variables to achieve maximum performance. The cycle of damage and healing between a warlock, their target, and their demon is not a simple one – but it was an elegant one.

This is WRATH talk. Locks were never know to be complex - in fact it was during T7 when affliction had its real claim to fame in Naxx - 5 Dots and a nuke - you would detroy any class in a patchwork fight - immolate/UA/siphon life/corruption/curse of agony - Minus BM hunter with broken beastral wrath or Sub rogues when Honor amongst thieves was broken - Aff locks were top of the charts. This was unintended and Fixed by blizzard going into Ulduar - which aside from Yogg destroyed Affliction.

T6 we were sunwelled - A term people don't use anymore - but this term was born out of the warlock class. None of this complexity sparks nostalgia for old warlocks. The only thing locks want is to destroy damage meters - That is the essence of our class.
The class is broken for pvp. I know you have the handful of arena fear bots who thinks everything is okay, but it's not. Warlocks are trash compared to what they were in BC and Wrath. I don't know what else to say. As an altoholic, I've played several different classes. I've played all the clothies. The reasons why Warlocks are so gimped in PvP is because everything that does any significant damage is a hard cast and there is really no way to do significant damage with mobility. The rotations are slow and take too long get through, which is a one way ticket to the graveyard res. Mages can move around constantly while dealing big damage. Heck, even elemental shamans can run around casting lighting bolt now. The DoTs are a complete joke this expansion and Blizzard has not lifted one finger to fix this. Warlocks survivability sucks compared to other cloth classes. Since Blizzard has given every class a spell interrupt, it's almost impossible to get a fear off when trying to survive an attack. Our survivability depends on if we are near our portal or not.

So overall, DoTs are extremely weak, to the point of being a joke. DoTs do terrible single target damage this expansion. I'm still baffled why Blizzard has not looked into this or fixed this. We lack significant mobile dps, which would be fixed if they fixed DoTs. We have no significant survivability buttons.

That is why Warlocks are the least played class. If you want to be a DoT class, Shadow Priests are easier to play and have better survivability. If you want to play a nuke caster, fire mages have better mobility, burst, and survivability than a Warlock. Heck, with dispels, it pretty much wipes out the entire dps of a destro lock in PvP. It's a shame because I used to enjoy the Warlock class. I just hope Blizzard fixes them.
Another reason we dont do so well in pvp is that (very roughly) half of our damage is done by our minions (which have a terrible AI). We hit our hardest nuke and it does little compared to a mage. If you add in the minion's damage, we get much closer... IF rhe minion can hit our target, reach the target, isnt cc'ed or even dead. Our hardest hitting minion is also our slowest in chasing and running and is the most easily bugged by the moronic AI.
04/23/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Khargrim
handful of arena fear bots
Tell me again how there are only a "handful of fear bots" http://www.crossladder.com/arena/ladder/m=players;c=9

Don't even bring up Rbgs either. Warlocks are amazing in them and if you think otherwise you are delusional.
If you want to be a DoT class, Shadow Priests are easier to play and have better survivability.
Shadow priest dots are weaker than affliction warlocks. They are a burst class and cannot multi-dot.
If you want to play a nuke caster, fire mages have better mobility, burst, and survivability than a Warlock.
If you would have said Frost mage I might have been inclined to agree with you, but again you have no idea what you are talking about. Warlocks have THE best passive survivability in the game only 2nd to rogues. Mages in general are quite squishy and considered more glass cannon in recent pvp.
handful of arena fear bots
Tell me again how there are only a "handful of fear bots" http://www.crossladder.com/arena/ladder/m=players;c=9

Don't even bring up Rbgs either. Warlocks are amazing in them and if you think otherwise you are delusional.
If you want to be a DoT class, Shadow Priests are easier to play and have better survivability.
Shadow priest dots are weaker than affliction warlocks. They are a burst class and cannot multi-dot.
If you want to play a nuke caster, fire mages have better mobility, burst, and survivability than a Warlock.
If you would have said Frost mage I might have been inclined to agree with you, but again you have no idea what you are talking about. Warlocks have THE best passive survivability in the game only 2nd to rogues. Mages in general are quite squishy and considered more glass cannon in recent pvp.

You are in denial. Warlocks are broken. Everyone knows it. If you were right and I was wrong, there would be many more active Warlocks. People aren't playing Warlocks for several reasons and I listed them. They suck.

Also, I'm laughing at your opinions on mages. Warlocks having better survivability than mages? lol, you should write comedy sketches because that's a joke.
04/23/2012 10:30 PMPosted by Khargrim
If you were right and I was wrong, there would be many more active Warlocks.
No, it doesn't matter if warlocks are the best class in the game or the worst. The look, feel, and background story are enough to deter most players just starting the game. Warlocks have ALWAYS had low population numbers.

Also, where are these people that agree with you? are ANY of them 2.2k or higher? Give me statistics, back up your argument. If you're really gonna start this flaming crap you better start backing up your stuff.
Also, I'm laughing at your opinions on mages. Warlocks having better survivability than mages? lol, you should write comedy sketches because that's a joke.
It's not an opinion it's a fact. Find one mage thats above 2.2k that says differently, don't worry I'll wait.