Cataclysm quests @ 78?

General Discussion
When I search the forum all I see is that you need to be lvl 80 to quest in cataclysm. The cataclysm trail says:

"What content do I have access to during the 10-day free trial?
The trial account will have access to all of the expansion content, including creation of the new Goblin and Worgen races, as well as access to Cataclysm-exclusive areas such as Hyjal, Vashj'ir, and more. These new zones are recommended for characters who have reached level 78 or higher. While you can complete Cataclysm quests and even pick up some powerful new items, any characters you play during the trial can only advance up to one experience point below level 81."

So is it 78 or 80....Why would they recommend 78 if you can't do quests?
you CAN go to the zones and kill mobs, you just can't pick up the quests. Same as any other xpack.
03/27/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Wherewulf
Same as any other xpack

Well no. The others you could go to the next expansion zone at 58 or 68 and actually get quests.
03/27/2012 08:09 AMPosted by Wherewulf
Same as any other xpack.

No, you can get Outland quests at 58, and Northrend quests at 68.

Cataclysm quests do start at 80 though.
03/27/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Scytheblade
you CAN go to the zones and kill mobs, you just can't pick up the quests. Same as any other xpack.
Actually you get your first BC quests at 58 and your first northrend quests at 68, i dont think it was ever really explained why it wasnt continued with cataclysm

Probably because there being only 5 levels in the expac, if you started at 78, you might have run out early (originally anyway)
They decided to delay the ability to accept quests for Cataclysm until level 80.

I would recommend that Blizzard consider lowering the requirement to a minimum of 78. There is obviously going to be players who will opt to reroll characters for the upcoming expansion based on the hype and speculation fan sites and press are covering for all the changes we're likely to encounter. Additionally with the new race and class, players will likely reroll monks.

So making Vashj'ir and Mount Hyjal available at level 78 makes appropriate sense at this point.
03/27/2012 08:10 AMPosted by Scytheblade
Actually you get your first BC quests at 58 and your first northrend quests at 68, i dont think it was ever really explained why it wasnt continued with cataclysm

They did explain it. It was because they had increased the hp and power of the leveling mobs in cata. So they made everybody wait till 80 to have a better chance at surviving.
03/27/2012 08:14 AMPosted by Milkros
Probably because there being only 5 levels in the expac, if you started at 78, you might have run out early (originally anyway)

If you ding level 80 and allow your rested XP to remain plentiful between game sessions, combined with heirlooms and other guild perks, you can actually hit level 85 before you leave Deepholm, and that assumes you do both Hyjal, Vash'jir, along with Deepholm.

There is more than enough content if played right to adequately complete 5 levels of questing, dailies, and a few dungeon runs thrown in and still have content left over. So to open up Cataclysm at level 78 I doubt would impact the level scale. They'd just need to tweak a few mechanics in the two starter zones so that health/damage isn't too overwhelming for new players, as it expects you to be 80 now.

Additionally don't forget, we'll likely see an XP nerf forthcoming in the near future anyhow as they always do for past expansions, allowing players to zip through that content faster than when it was relevant.
03/27/2012 08:17 AMPosted by Naros

If you ding level 80 and allow your rested XP to remain plentiful between game sessions, combined with heirlooms and other guild perks, you can actually hit level 85 before you leave Deepholm, and that assumes you do both Hyjal, Vash'jir, along with Deepholm.

Hence my 'originally' comment.
Thanks. Guess I have to wait till 80 for questing.