Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 20 21 22 26 Next
04/30/2012 09:40 PMPosted by Kalganized
You can just buy a USB wireless adapter anyway too.

Yea didn't think about that one at the time lol.
kinda on a pc buget but how would this run
Intel Pentium G630 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G630 $74.99

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $69.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL $29.99

CORSAIR Gaming Series GS500 500W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified High Performance Gaming Power Supply $69.99

XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with ... $159.99

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $79.99

HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan $39.99

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $17.99

TOTAL OF $542.92
Kelcici:

I would replace the power supply with PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W.

I would also consider upgrading the RAM to 8GB version of Ripjaws X, it's not that much more.

Otherwise, the system looks good. It'll run well enough, and can upgrade the CPU to a faster i3 or even i5 later on.
*update* from page 19,
built my gaming rig may first, is up and running, boots up like in 10seconds and shutsdown even faster(using it now), updating all the drivers, and windows 7, already installed antivirus, installing other software, Couldn't be happier, thanks again for this guide KAL.
believe it or not i been getting all my knowledge from these forums and ofcourse some dyi utube vids. can't thank you enough.
Don't forget to update the firmware for your Crucial m4 SSD. They released newer versions now.

You can check your SSD's current firmware by using programs like SSDLife (free version is good enough). Latest Crucial m4 SSD firmware is version 000F. Please use the ISO, burn it on the CD, then boot from it.
I'm buying a new laptop and I need a gentle push in one side or another.

Decision is between Sager NP9170 and Asus G75VW.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np9170-clevo-p170em-p-4342.html?wconfigure=yes

Big positives:
GeForce GTX 675M 2Gig card.

Neat things:
multi color keyboard XD
Fingerprint reader (easy login ftw :P)

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g75vwrs72-eta-midmay-p-4475.html?wconfigure=yes

Big positives:
Matte screen (cheaper to get than with MSI)
Better warranty.

Neat things:
Faster ship time (can get to me quicker).

Reservations, it's built on the 2nd gen Intel platform and just upgraded to 3rd gen.

The difference is $20!!!
Help.
I firmly stand behind that matte > glossy. To that end, the ASUS will end up being the cheapest of them all, but won't come with aforementioned fingerprint reader no fancy keyboard.

Sager is the most high quality of them all, but they will cost $$$.

MSI 1762 is the perfect middle-ground between the three. You can get SteelSeries backlit keyboard with the MSI 1762, and will only cost a little more than the ASUS (that's including the cost of OS).
Hey Kal! This is my first time building a CPU and my plan is simply to play WoW and D3 as well as rock some schoolwork on it. Was wondering if this would ne a good build and what should i replace or add?

Cpu-i5-2500k
Motherboard-ASRock h61m/u3su
Ram-2x 4gb DDR3-1333
Graphics-GeForce GTX 560
Power Supply-MK III 500w
HD-Western Digital 500gb Sata
Dvd drive-Cheap
Case-Nzxt Phantom
$835.92

Thanks!
alright changed them so now my cart is
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $17.99

HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan - $39.99

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $79.99

XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - 169.99

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W - $59.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model - $39.99

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $66.99

Intel Pentium G630 Sandy Bridge 2.7GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G630 - $74.99

TOTAL- $540

witht this how would i run wow/lol basicly what i play and i dont have much room for more spending so what should be replaced ect clueless on this stuff ^^
You are talking about the GT60:
http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt60-0nc004us-p-4332.html?wconfigure=yes

The good thing with that one is that it has the 2 year warranty standard and 1 year accidental. That's pretty good. It does only have the gtx 670M though.

The thing that is most important to me is the dependability.

I want this to last 4-5 years (and at least 3 gaming wise with such games as wow and gw2).
If sager is the most dependable I would simply have to stretch myself and get the matte version of it and pay the additional $120 difference.

I guess the other great thing about it is that the video card is user upgradable.
* Barsby:

You chose wrong combination of CPU and motherboard. You are buying overclockable i5-2500k, but you are getting an H61 motherboard, which can't overclock. Either buy the i5-2500k with a Z77 motherboard, or buy i5-2300 with the H61 motherboard.

If you are going to go with i5-2500k + Z77, buy a 3rd party CPU cooler like CoolerMaster Hyper 212+., and upgrade RAM to DDR3-1600 version.

Don't forget a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

* Kelcici:

The build looks good. It'll run WoW comfortably and very well, and LoL? Easy max.
City / raid FPS will rely on the CPU quite a bit, so if you want to increase them (beyond good level you will get), you can always upgrade the CPU later, although I recommend just spending $ extra and get i3-2120 instead of the Pentium if budget allows. Otherwise, the Pentium will still serve you perfectly fine.

* Altronix:

MSI 1762 is not exactly GT60 though.
http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1762-msi-1762-limited-availability-p-4347.html?wconfigure=yes

Laptop quality is RNG; just like any other hardware. You see lots of people complaining about ASUS laptops, and you will also equally see lots of people still using their ASUS laptops of years old.

Coincidentally, both my current and the former laptop was based on MSI barebones. The former laptop lasted 5+ years perfectly with no issues anywhere. It's former now because I sold it away.

Graphics upgrade is not something you are likely to do though. You have to physically mod / make changes to the heatsink that involves using dremel to cut away parts of the metal, and then there is the price of the laptop video cards, which are exorbitant.
alright what would be the fps diffrence? and i would need to purchese the dreaded windows 7 as well wont i or is there a way to run computers without it
You need a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM if you do not have your own copy of Vista 64-bit at least.

The i3-2120 is estimated to run about 5~10 FPS better than the Pentium in city/raid FPS, given same HD 6870 graphics card.
/sigh, well im back but this time i just wanted to confirm to see if all the parts i picked will match and be decent.

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120

Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
+windows 7
i do have a couple more questions ... the MB is the one you suggested ? but reading the reviews a lot of people say that it doesnt work well or dies etc.. so is it still decent?
2nd question is the graphics card, it has great reviews, but i dont believe that you recommended that one so how is it?.
3rd question, what should i put on the SSD? the OS and say wow ?
you probably already know that i plan to play wow, diablo3, and stuff like TF2 which i assume will still run fine.
last but not least, this comes to about $785 before rebates but i think im going to do that no interest pay method but i still do not really want to go over 800$ so if there is anything you would change the price cant be too much higher.. THANKS AGAIN haha
As mentioned in the guide, do not buy the 550 Ti. Get either HD 6770, or spend a bit more money on a HD 6870. Reviews don't matter in this case when it's a purely hardware limitation.

64GB is bit too small for an SSD. Either invest a bit more into a 128GB version, or wait until you do. WoW + Windows alone would take up more than 2/3rd of the space on a 64GB SSD. You will install OS, and all the generic programs (web browser, music player, etc) on the SSD. Only put the games you really want to see speed boost on the SSD, and dump the rest (and pure data files like music and movies) on the mechanical hard disk.

Crucial m4 does not come with a spare SATA cable. Motherboard will only come with two, which isn't enough for a hard disk + DVD + SSD setup. Either by a cheap cable, or scrounge one up from your old computer.

Speaking of that, it's recommended to also recycle your old hard drive unless if it's from a laptop, or it is dying.

Recycling DVD drive off your old computer? You will need one to install Windows.

The motherboard is decent. Every motherboard has people complaining about it.

Yes, the system will effortlessly run those games.
I received the new card today. Just finished installing it, not freezes yet, but I'm having a really weird artifacting issue with boxes. This only happens when I'm opening up games. I'm thinking it may be a driver conflict as GPU-Z says I'm still on Intel HD 2000, while MSI Afterburner says I'm on the 6950. How do I got about uninstalling the Intel drivers?

The card was replaced by the way. This new one even has a serial number sticker.
Most motherboards are supposed to automatically disable integrated graphics if a dedicated graphics card has been detected. Double check this in the BIOS.

In the Device Manager, if you find HD 2000, simply choose to disable it.
Disabled Intel HD, issue stilll remained. I uninstalled Catalyst, the issue got really bad, it was almost impossible to see what I was doing on my screen. I had to shutdown my computer and remove the card just so I could continue. I'm going to install the newest AMD drivers after using Atiman Uninstaller. If newest drivers don't work, I think I received another dud card.
Seems highly unlikely.

I would take the card and have a shop test it. Better yet, take your entire computer and have a shop test it.
There should be no issue with me downloading and installing the 6950 drivers without the card in right?

And are http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx the ones I need? the 12.4 ones?