Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Buying Guide

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Post Limit:
Prev 1 22 23 24 26 Next

* Altronix:

MSI 1762 is not exactly GT60 though.
http://www.xoticpc.com/force-1762-msi-1762-limited-availability-p-4347.html?wconfigure=yes

Laptop quality is RNG; just like any other hardware. You see lots of people complaining about ASUS laptops, and you will also equally see lots of people still using their ASUS laptops of years old.

Coincidentally, both my current and the former laptop was based on MSI barebones. The former laptop lasted 5+ years perfectly with no issues anywhere. It's former now because I sold it away.

Graphics upgrade is not something you are likely to do though. You have to physically mod / make changes to the heatsink that involves using dremel to cut away parts of the metal, and then there is the price of the laptop video cards, which are exorbitant.

Since you have the MSI barebones laptops, do you ever mind the fact that it only has one fan?

Compared to the Sager models it does need to work a little harder to keep everything cool.

I like Asus' warranty still but MSI GT70 has the same warrant (2 year/1yr accidental) and has standard matte screen. Both have the same card.

Basically my view is Sager is clearly the best with options/oomph etc. But will take time to get (I hate waiting) and has a weaker warranty.

The MSI and Asus are very good but have much better warranty approach, therefore they are safer (or as safe as hardware can be).
If I did keep playing on the card, what could potentially happen?
05/02/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Aeox
If I did keep playing on the card, what could potentially happen?

Nothing else is expected to happen.

* Altronix:

Not really, the temperature on the CPU and GPU are both acceptable on it. GPU does not break 90C at 100% forced full load, and this is with it heavily overclocked. CPU temperature also perfectly OK with normal gaming.

Yeah, Sagers and Asus models tend to run cooler.

It's up to you. MSI-16F2 was the best bang for the buck when it was new (like when I bought it), but now, you have more choices.
What was the reason why you wouldn't play on it then?
Can someone tell me if this computer is wow worthy? Thanks!!! The one I have now, freezes constantly in raids, and in pvp I lag so bad!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-Gamer-Extreme-WA501D3-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-FX-4100-Processor-8GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Monitor-Not-Included/19900560
alright, after looking at some more graphics cards, there are 2 6870s
XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
normally $189

then there is
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
normally $169

both cards are $159 w/ rebates so should i just get the first one?
also i looked at another ssd
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
w/ BYTECC Model SATA-118C 18" Serial ATA-150/300 Cable w/Locking Latch
if i were to use an older hard drive/dvd burner ( if i have them) would it be ok if they are older possibly 03-05? and how would i clear the hard drive.
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM $17.99

HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan - $39.99

Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $79.99

XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - 169.99

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W - $59.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model - $39.99

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $66.99

Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120 124.99

now i have to buy windows as theres no way around it i assume so what do i buy? and will this build run shooters like crysis? and i have another computer dosnt work besides start ect because windows ran out on it how do i know what parts to salvage shall i open it because i have no idea what the parts are thats in it
* Aeox:

Only because those texture corruptions would annoy me to no end. ;x

* Alexstias:

Computer is not WoW worthy due to having an AMD FX CPU + lowest end GT 520 graphics card.

* Beachumx:

If both cost the same after rebates, go with the XFX.

As long as the hard drive / DVD burner uses SATA interface, you can reuse them. You can also reuse the cable even.

You can clear the hard drive during the installation of Windows 7. Choose to do Advanced install instead of Standard, then simply delete the existing partitions on the hard drive, then create a new one.

* Kelcici:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM

It can run Crysis... but don't try to run it maxed out.
ahh thanks but my computer dosnt load because windows ran out to know what parts i can reuse like dvd burner and possible the hardrive taking these out will allow me to tell what they are because i have no idea what is in it and could possible save money by reusing these
They only get really annoying in the internet browser, but in games they blend in quite a bit. They really only look like the spot is having a seizure, but they still are noticeable. If I do diagnose the card as the issue, I may see if I can order something like a 7750, wait for it to get hear while dealing with the glitches on my card, then RMA the card again. I'm sure my brother or friend would love to take the 7750 when I'm done with it. Not sure yet though what I'm going to do. After playing Skyrim so smoothly and great looking at 1280x720 I don't know if I'll be able to go back to 800x600 at lowest settings with a little lag. =\

If I do go the 7750 route, the card would be a massive upgrade for either. My brother has my old eMachines, which has who knows what Integrated Graphics chipset in it. My friend has a GTX 210.
* Kelcici:

You can reuse typically, the DVD drive and the hard disk. To know whether you can reuse them or not, see if it's a SATA interface or not. If you have no access to your computer, fastest way to find out is to open up the side of the case, get a flash light and see if you have wire that looks like this that link the motherboard and the DVD drive / hard disk:

http://networkcable-tester.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/sata-cable.jpg

Some people can also reuse their case and power supply if both are off-the-shelf quality parts. Some people can also reuse their RAM if it's DDR3-1333. Internal PCI-E wireless cards can be reused too.

They also tend to reuse any PCI sound cards if they have one.

* Aeox:

This must be extremely frustrating for you. I'm sorry that the problem is going on longer than it should be. :(
It's alright. It'll be worth it in the end. Currently I'm just enjoying maxing games without freezing issues.
edit
That does not help. If you have an access to your computer, download and run a program called Speccy (by Piriform), then check out the hard disk and DVD drive. The program will tell you if it is SATA interface or not.
When seller warranty runs out, you will have to use the manufacturer warranty and directly contact them to get things done.

After that is up, if you need hardware fixed, they will probably still fix it, but they will charge you for it.
This http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

and this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157294

with this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231445

on this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

in this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

= no problems I hope ?
I see no problem. ;)
My main fear was the little heatsinks on the memory and the fact that it might be hitting the fan by like 2mm.

Also my case. I hope I don't have to remove the door lol.
What makes you sure it won't be problematic btw?