Frost AoE Grinding Past 80

Mage
Hey, just got back into WoW and I'm trying to get my frost mage from 80-85. I was wondering if AoE grinding still works for leveling, and what the spots are to do it from 80-85. Thanks in advance!
Just quest. It is much faster.
Questing is really really boring for me though. I actually like AoE grinding. :(
AoE grinding doesn't really work anymore. Blizzard damage is pretty low, it costs a lot of mana, and you don't get shatter procs off of it anymore since frostbite is gone. Additionally, mobs hit very hard in the 80-85 zones, have a lot more hp, and have more abilities than just toddle towards you while snared.
I know that doing a mix of questing and dungeons will get me from 80 to 85 in about 17 hours. I highly doubt you can even come close to that with AoE grinding unless you have fully rested XP.
Supposedly the packs of mobs at stonehearth in deepholm are decent for aoe grinding. Not sure if people do that just for the money/drops or for xp as well. Probably want/have to get to 82 before heading there though.
I'm not disputing your guys's claims that questing/LFD or whatever is faster then AoE grinding, but has anyone actually leveled two mages to 85, one questing/LFD, the other, AoE grinding, and compared?

I know AoE grinding is no longer viable until I think the mid 50s, but is there any empirical data to show the XP/hour gains of the two?

Likely questing solo is the fastest, LFD has too many variables (poor groups, afk, etc).

Also would depend on heirloom gear/guild perks. Again, can anyone verify? Not doubting you, just never seen someone actually AoE grind in Cataclysm.

With 25% bonus (Guild + 2 heirlooms), my level 81 Warrior gained 318,890 XP in one TotT, including 104,100 XP bonus given 7 times a week. In contrast, a single lvl 81 normal mob in Deepholm was worth 4,294 XP, and a regular quest was 43,625 XP.

The TotT run was with a very quick group. We killed every boss at around 2min. marker and the whole run took about 15 minutes. I could have easily done 4 quests and killed a few mobs to gain more XP.

My tentative conclusion? The Ideal Dungeon Run < Solo Questing.
03/30/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Nexz
Hey, just got back into WoW and I'm trying to get my frost mage from 80-85. I was wondering if AoE grinding still works for leveling, and what the spots are to do it from 80-85. Thanks in advance!

I also just started playing again after AOE grinding my mage up to ~65 during BC. I can tell you that AOE grinding has actually gotten substantially easier. I used to die all the time due to this or that but with stuff like cone of cold that freezes and is usable every 8 seconds, it is ridiculously easy to AOE grind now (and I dont even have frostfire orb yet). But I think ppl are right when they say regular questing is faster. I dont know how/why questing is faster than chain pulling 10+ mobs at a time but it is these days.

Anyways you can still AOE kill for quests and spend some extra time to grind out a spawn for a while. Its so easy now with frost armor having damage reduction and the ability to basically keep things perma frozen that instead of having to go to the notorious spots (with the clumped together melee only mobs) that you can AOE grind pretty much anything.
I tried AOE grinding when cata first hit and it sucked. The mobs weren't slowed enough and didn't take enough damage and it was just an exercise in frustration. Compared to the ridiculously amazing joy of AOE grinding when wrath first hit, it was a huge disappointment. If you can manage to do it without running your butt off and getting constantly killed, then more power to you.