Haste and Serenity Chakra

Priest
Post Limit:
I was wondering what amount of haste i should look for when running in serenity chakra.

I assume refreshing renew with cast heals lowers the value of haste for adding ticks to renew, but on the other hand, as cast time heals increase asa proportion of total healing, Heal and Greater Heal in particular benefit more from haste reducing their cast time.

I feel like i want to gear aggressivly into a haste/spirit build, but perhaps i should be gearing for specific haste thresholds.
I very much hope that you only intend to heal five mans. :( Almost every other healer is better suited to tank healing in a raid environment.

Noteworthy Affected Spells and Feasibly Obtainable Ticks:

• Devouring Plague
  • 9 6.25%
  • 10 18.75%
  • 11 31.25%
  • Divine Hymn
  • 5 12.5%
  • Hymn of Hope
  • 5 12.5%
  • Lightwell
  • 4 16.666...%
  • Renew
  • 5 12.5%
  • Serenity-refreshed Renew
  • 6 10%
  • 7 30%
  • Shadow Word: Pain
  • 7 8.333...%
  • 8 25%
  • Vampiric Touch
  • 6 10%
  • 7 30%

• Note: The listed percentages are the raid buffed numbers needed to reach the additional ticks.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595673916?page=1#5

You want at least 12.5% raid buffed. I've found it difficult to stay near that minimum self-buffed with the gear I've managed to get, even with aggressive reforging to Mastery. (You're already there yourself.)

I very much hope that you only intend to heal five mans. :( Almost every other healer is better suited to tank healing in a raid environment.

I disagree with this statement but regardless...

04/02/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Elethia
    You want at least 12.5% raid buffed

This i do agree with, 12.5% is generally the spot you wanna hit raid buffed so you get the extra renew tick. Beyond that it's just Spirit/Mastery.

Resto Shaman, Disc Priests and Holy Paladins are all stronger. That leaves Resto Druids as the only weaker tank healer. Pair that with the fact that Holy priests are far better suited to raid healing, and your Holy Priest should only be tank healing in the most dire of situations.
    04/02/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Elethia

Resto Shaman, Disc Priests and Holy Paladins are all stronger. That leaves Resto Druids as the only weaker tank healer. Pair that with the fact that Holy priests are far better suited to raid healing, and your Holy Priest should only be tank healing in the most dire of situations.

Perhaps, but since when does Serenity necessarily mean tank healing? It also has uses in raids outside of that.

@Mamaraksha: Renew still benefits nicely from Haste, even if you are refreshing it with Serenity.

Suppose you cast Greater Heal on a target for time X, and you have haste h. The healing done by Greater Heal is hX * HPS(Greater Heal). Say you then refresh Renew on a target for time Y. The healing done by Renew is then hY * HPS(Renew).

So, there is no reason to assume that haste is proportionally stronger for direct heals than it is for Renew.

You should instead concern yourself with the fact that Mastery does nothing for Renew. When you are refreshing Renew a lot, Haste gives you the biggest HPS increase, followed by Crit. Since I run 5 man dungeons almost exclusively, and thereby use Serenity almost exclusively, I have favored Haste/Spirit myself.
    About 12.5% haste, this is very easy to get in raids, but in 5man, not as much. So if you are running 5man, better to have this haste self-buffed.

I'm not quite clear on the context of your question: 5man or raids. But, either way, I haven't used in Chakra: Serenity for a while. From HoT dungeons to LFR, to DS raids, there aren't much cases that need sustained single target heals, so Chakra: Sanctuary has been my choice in this patch. And, Renew heals more in Sanctuary than Serenity.

After hitting the haste break points, Mastery is the stat to go. Haste helps landing the heal early; Echo of Light from Mastery could mean one less cast of healing spells, and it is also a throughput boost for holy priest.
    04/02/2012 04:38 PMPosted by Dominish
    Perhaps, but since when does Serenity necessarily mean tank healing? It also has uses in raids outside of that.

Rarely, and one should not be gearing/reforging for that rare situation.
    04/02/2012 05:06 PMPosted by Elethia

Rarely, and one should not be gearing/reforging for that rare situation.

Why come into a thread titled "Haste and Serenity Chakra" and, instead of answering the question as I did, start talking about what Haste% to go for in Sanctuary chakra?

I was wondering what amount of haste i should look for when running in serenity chakra. [ADDRESSED]

I assume refreshing renew with cast heals lowers the value of haste for adding ticks to renew [ADDRESSED], but on the other hand, as cast time heals increase asa proportion of total healing, Heal and Greater Heal in particular benefit more from haste reducing their cast time. [ADDRESSED]

I feel like i want to gear aggressivly into a haste/spirit build, but perhaps i should be gearing for specific haste thresholds. [ADDRESSED]

This i do agree with, 12.5% is generally the spot you wanna hit raid buffed so you get the extra renew tick. [NOT THE QUESTION]

(...) Holy priests are far better suited to raid healing, (...) [NOT THE QUESTION]

In fact, the first reply was worse than the above two which made statements which were at least likely true, if irrelevant. The first reply said, in reply to "I was wondering what amount of haste i should look for when running in serenity chakra," "You want at least 12.5% raid buffed," which is about as misleading as you can get.
    04/06/2012 04:47 AMPosted by Dominish
    Why come into a thread titled "Haste and Serenity Chakra" and, instead of answering the question as I did, start talking about what Haste% to go for in Sanctuary chakra?

There's a different haste value for Sanctuary Chakra? I didn't know this!

12.5%. Either get it on your own or get it with factoring in 5% from Wrath of Air/Shadow Priest/Moonkin and 3% from Darkness. Not hard.

Whether you stack Haste or Mastery past this point is a personal decision. To tell someone they shouldn't stack Mastery just because they will be rolling a refreshed Renew on a target is pretty silly. You will be casting direct heals which will apply Echo of Light, unless you severely overgear content.

Mastery does nothing for Renew (but applies EoL for Divine Touch), but it interacts with all of our other spells (except Lightwell).

There's a different haste value for Sanctuary Chakra? I didn't know this!

12.5%. Either get it on your own or get it with factoring in 5% from Wrath of Air/Shadow Priest/Moonkin and 3% from Darkness. Not hard.

Whether you stack Haste or Mastery past this point is a personal decision. To tell someone they shouldn't stack Mastery just because they will be rolling a refreshed Renew on a target is pretty silly. You will be casting direct heals which will apply Echo of Light, unless you severely overgear content.

Mastery does nothing for Renew (but applies EoL for Divine Touch), but it interacts with all of our other spells (except Lightwell).

Yes, yes, everything you're saying is true, and you're right to suggest that using Serenity is not synonymous with rolling renews. But did you even read the opening post? She was specifically asking about these things, and people are just answering what they thought she asked rather than what she actually asked.

At the risk of putting words into her mouth, let me reword it, so you can actually see what she is asking.

Dear Priest forum,

I want to know about haste and Serenity chakra. I want to get more haste, but I am worried about haste thresholds. Does the fact that I am refreshing Renew with my direct heals reduce the value of haste compared to Mastery? If so, does that mean I should stick to a particular level of haste?

Yours sincerely,
    Mamaraksha

Mamaraksha,

Thank you for your question!

I can see why you would be concerned about haste thresholds. After all, if you are going to refresh the Renew anyway, why increase your haste? You shouldn't be concerned. Haste provides just as much extra throughput to refreshed renews as it does to direct healing. In fact it is interesting to note that it is Mastery that actually suffers from the increase in Renew usage, and not haste at all!

I hope this was helpful to you.

Warm wishes,
    Dominish
    04/06/2012 06:06 AMPosted by Dominish
    Yes, yes, everything you're saying is true, and you're right to suggest that using Serenity is not synonymous with rolling renews. But did you even read the opening post? She was specifically asking about these things, and people are just answering what they thought she asked rather than what she actually asked.

Except I directly addressed her first post in my post (if all you got was 12.5%, then your reading comprehension is exceptionally poor as I clearly indicated that a Serenity refreshed Renew has a 6th tick at 10% Haste and a 7th at 30%), and asked her why she was asking about Serenity.

There are precious few instances where a Holy priest in a raid should be in Chakra: Serenity, which is why I addressed it. This forum isn't just about answering the asked questions; sometimes, it's about spotting the unasked (even un-thought-of) and answering those as well. Instead of saying "oh this is what you need" I said "this is what you need, but you should know that Holy priests are far better suited to raid healing, where you should be in Sanctuary".

Serenity adds its own tick by increasing the duration of Renew. Haste shortens the time between ticks (and thus the overall time of the Renew buff). Neither of these points were addressed by you.

(I didn't either, but her question was open ended—certainly not as specific as you've made it [and she certainly wasn't asking about heavy Renew use; Serenity is not the Chakra for that]. She wanted to know how much Haste to go for if she was in Serenity; the answer is at least 12.5%. 10% gets that additional tick of Renew, but 12.5% adds ticks to HoH and DH. Beyond that, there is no set amount. Both Mastery and Haste are good for Serenity: Mastery because you'll have stronger EoL ticks, which means a stronger "passive" healing going on, allowing you to more readily keep the target's health stable; Haste because it directly increases throughput, affecting all spells.)
    04/06/2012 09:58 AMPosted by Elethia
    There are precious few instances where a Holy priest in a raid should be in Chakra: Serenity, which is why I addressed it. This forum isn't just about answering the asked questions; sometimes, it's about spotting the unasked (even un-thought-of) and answering those as well. Instead of saying "oh this is what you need" I said "this is what you need, but you should know that Holy priests are far better suited to raid healing, where you should be in Sanctuary".

This.

And clearly this was necessary, judging by Archangelion's post.

In a raid, a Holy Priest should never be tank healing. If your healing comp is Priest/Druid you should be Disc as it's much better synergy.
    On HMadness the other day someone thought one of our priests was tank healing as Holy and I basically was like (since I do healing assignments) "No, I would NEVER have a Holy Priest tank heal. That would be horrible."