Blood: Why Lichborne?

Death Knight
Still learning how to tank with this guy. My question comes from reading what I can, which everything says to get the Lichborne talent. Upon looking at it, it doesn't seem to directly help in the role of tanking. Is it because, while you are undead from Lichborne, you can use Death Coil to heal yourself? Is there some other use for it?
That is exactly the reason for it.

Other reasons include the free cool-down of getting out of fear, sleep and etc.
Great! Thank you for the prompt reply.
So when your healer get instagibbed by pythorums (1st boss) eyes in WoE, you can not wipe while you get a brez out.

I swear, no one tries for that achievement - bunch of lazies
The better your gear and the healers gear gets the less you will use it(PVE), but it does serve as a extra CD if you do need it. The most useful I had found it was in early cataclysm when healers had mana issues or in group with a low geared healer. I used to spec it, but over time i found myself rarely needing to use it.
So when your healer get instagibbed by pythorums (1st boss) eyes in WoE, you can not wipe while you get a brez out.

I swear, no one tries for that achievement - bunch of lazies
LOL, yeah myself i only collect achievements on my Paly. First boss in WOE I ussually run up and pop IBF to get caught to make it quicker and safer for the group.
i use lichborne frquently not only to help my healers but say like on morchok when the black blood comes i hide behind the stones and top my hp off so im fresh and ready for round 2. it usualy is off cd each time the blood comes
I would go for Virulence and Epidemic (atleast 2/3) instead of lichborne for hardmode tanking...

You rarely get time to use Lichborne in hardmodes and I kinda like 100% uptime STDs..
I would have to be hard up against a wall to spec into Lichborne for PvE - maybe if I REALLY NEEDED SOME HEALTH on Heroic DS at a certain fight, I might spec into into and macro it up for an insta-deathcoil heal...

Maybe.

And this is coming from the guy who offtanks for his regular DS group, for what it's worth. If I had to spec into for Lichborne the healers are either bad or their attention is somewhere else. Or I'm just bad.
So far I haven't ever had a need to even think about speccing for it, and I'm our main tank to solo tank most of DS.
I would have to be hard up against a wall to spec into Lichborne for PvE - maybe if I REALLY NEEDED SOME HEALTH on Heroic DS at a certain fight, I might spec into into and macro it up for an insta-deathcoil heal...

Maybe.

And this is coming from the guy who offtanks for his regular DS group, for what it's worth. If I had to spec into for Lichborne the healers are either bad or their attention is somewhere else. Or I'm just bad.

I agree, except for the DS part, I have yet to tank that. I have yet to find an instance where death striking and cooldowns already found in blood spec haven't been enough. I've had a tough road when my entire group dies because noone decides to kill hand on queen azshara fight but thats just cd management with alot of death striking and mastery.
I keep LB even on content I don't use it often mostly cause the alternative talents are even worse for tanking and/or are inefficient dps boosts for Blood. An extra cd, even if minor, is always nice to have in the back pocket, esp when ur not really giving up anything noteworthy for it in pve.
Honestly, I just specc'd out of it.

We already have a ton of cd's, and I just couldn't work Lichborn into consistent play.
It's an additional cooldown.

If you dislike using it you can spec into BCB or something, I guess.
If self-DCs were off the GCD, I'd like it more. I rarely face a situation where I have 4.5+ seconds to "react" with a cooldown where the healing off DC would be useful. 100% uptime diseases, and more DPS, ended up being more worthwhile to me in Firelands and DS.
Take glyph of deathcoil.
Make spam macro.
????
Self heals I would kill for.