Update the Conquest Cap System.

Arenas
1 2 3 11 Next
Highly Rated
EDIT: (3/16/14)
Thanks Blizz for the change. Love you for it! Allowed me some great fun times with old friends given the few hours of off time I have available now. <3
EDIT: (4/18/12)
Note that my idea is a change to a seasonal cap. When I refer to "Cap" I mean total cap for that season. To better understand this idea you should remove the concept of week/weekly cap from your mind. I only talk about weekly/week cap to explain the math of the seasonal cap system. Using the same concepts that are already in use. Week 3: 4k cap = 4k total cap for that season, not 4k cap for that week. -Sorry for all the confusion this caused some of you.

I think the way conquest points cap out each week needs to be updated to allow players who hit level 85 late in the season to not be at such a huge disadvantage:

The cap will increase each week of the seas based off of the prior weeks rating.
IE
Week one: Every ones cap is 1350 (from arena)
Week two: 0 rating cap = 1350 (from last week) + 1350 for the second week =2700 cap.
Week two: 2k rating from prior week (say 2k conq. cap) + 1350 from last weeks cap = 3350 conq. cap for that person.

So lets say a player has had 0 rating for 5 weeks of the season (just hit level 85 on the 5th week) that's 5 weeks of min cap of 1350. 1350x5=6750 conq cap for that character.

What this will do is allow players to stop playing a character for a few weeks and not fall so far behind; as well as allow new players to join late in a season and have a decent chance at catching up in gear so when they start bg's, RBG's or arena's they aren't at such a big disadvantage.

Remember that they don't get free points. They still have to win the games to get the point to buy the gear which will be extremely difficult w/o farming out bg gear first.

I'm curious why Blizzard hasn't thought of this idea before. It seems like a pretty obvious change. I would hope to see this in MOP mainly because I won't be able to play for several months until after it comes out. I'm leaving for Basic Training and afterwards AIT and that's a total of about 9 months before I'll be able to play and by then I'll be joining late.

EDIT (4/11/12):
Some people are not understanding my idea. I will clarify it for you all here so you don't have to read through 5+ pages to get your answer--

The way this idea works is exactly the way it works now. Each week you get a new weekly cap based off of your rating right? Well instead of resetting your weekly cap, it is just increased overall. So basically instead of having a weekly cap, you have a seasonal cap that increases based off of the weekly cap system.

here is how the math works with 0 rating (1350 conq. points)
w1: 1350 cap
w2: 2700 cap
w3: 4050 cap
w4: 5400 cap

This works exactly like our weekly cap but instead of resetting, it just adds the next weeks cap on top of your last weeks cap. And it slowly builds over time. This way someone who just hits level 85 will have a cap based as if they were level 85 from the start of the season. This new cap (my new system cap) would be called your season cap. So whether you play for that week or not, the seasonal cap will increase regardless based off of the minimum cap.

Think of it like a cell phone roll over plan. Any minutes you don't use (minutes = points you haven't earned left over from your weekly cap) are rolled over into the next week. So you never lose the opportunity to gain those points.

The math if you start the season out with a 2k conquest cap and maintain it:
w1: 1350 cap (Because the first week is always only a 1350 cap since there was no prior week to base your rating off of)
w2: 3350 cap (1350 points + your 2k cap)
w3: 5350 cap

Remember this DOES NOT MEAN: that week two you can get 3350 points and on week 3 you can get an additional 5350 points. It's a cap. That means it's your maximum allowed conquest points you can gain over all. that 5350 is the total points your character can obtain; aka seasonal cap.

The math if you get 2k conquest cap for 1 week then leave your team or don't play games for the minimum cap:
w1: 1350 cap
w2: 3350 cap (+2k conq cap for one week)
w3: 4700 cap (no long have 2k conq cap so it goes back to the minimum of +1350)
w3: 6050 cap
... So, my understanding of this is that I'll be able to farm my entire cataclysmic set for my Warlock in one sitting?
Depends when you reach max level compared to how long the season has been active.

Season 11 has been active for almost exactly 4 months, which would be about 21,600 conquest points worth of minimum cap (1350) If you hit level 85 right now you would be able to farm up to 21,600 points. As of now, yes a new level 85 would be able to farm their cata set in one sitting.
not a bad idea i mean thats why i dont play my druid or paladin atm but at the same im not taking this expansion seriously cept for arena pass NO PVE WOOT!!
This is a great idea. It's kind of like the bonus pool system in Starcraft 2, so I don't see why blizz should see a problem with it.
I'm glad the first few responses are positive ones. I honestly half expected a bunch of people to flame me. Maybe Blizzard will be as welcoming to the idea as you guys, ^_^.
For the sake of retaining the gear-grind philosophy Blizz seems to adore, I would prefer 1350 (or whatever base) + (Number of weeks)x(1/2 Base).

As someone who is suffering from having hit 85 way late in the season I would love to be able to farm a ton of points at once. But having a toon who ground out the cap week after week and wasted a ton of time playing arenas after conquest capping, I don't think you should be able to match me in gear in one day of farming just because you started a few weeks later. But some buffering would be great, good idea OP.
04/07/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Thiscow
wasted a ton of time playing arenas after conquest capping

How is that wasting time? You get to have fun, practice your skills and synergy with partners, and get your rating higher.
04/07/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Thiscow
I don't think you should be able to match me in gear in one day of farming just because you started a few weeks later.

The person would only match you in gear if you were unable to raise your cap above the minimum 1350. Also, even if you shared the same cap, this person technically would still have to win the same numbers of games to obtain the same conquest points as you.

1 win is 180 points. If you only played to cap per week then you both would have won the same numbers of arena matches which meant this new person had to play just as many games as you did which is the same amount of time spent and same amount of work. The only difference is the new person would put all that work into one day whereas your work was spread out over a few weeks. In this case, why not allow them to match you in gear if they worked just as hard for it?

Besides, arena is about competition of skill, not gear. Surely it would be in the best interest of the players to be able to fight on as much of equal ground as possible.

Of course to play devil's advocate here; the opposite could be said about what you bring up in that: why should you be able to have more gear than the new player just because you started first. Ultimately that would come down to amount of time played being more valuable than quality of time played.

You should also think of this and how it could effect yourself. Perhaps you want to pvp on a new toon but decide against it because you're already so far behind the gear grind. I've experienced this far too often. I have 9 level 85's. I have them because I desire to play them all. But I can't because that would require maintaining a conquest cap each week on each character to maintain top season gear. I can't focus on one character for one week then another character a different week because then they would fall behind.

Many people will say "then pick a character and stick with it, no one is forcing you to play multiple characters". The problem is that multiple characters is only one example. The other (the one i mentioned in the original post) would be Military. I'm supposed to be punished by such a primitive conquest point system because of training. Heck, you could use other examples like college students during exam week, or vacations, or even natural disasters. A snow storm knocked out my internet for almost an entire week. Things like this happen to PvPers all the time and Blizzard needs to have a a net to help lessen the fall that many of us take during gearing of each new season.

Do you still think it's unfair for people like that to be able to catch up in gear? Also, you make it sound like we have some kind of advantage. People who get to start first on the season have more time to practice vs other teams, more time to play on equal footing, more time to find teams, to play different comps. How is it advantageous for us to join 4 months late with no experience of this season, no gear, and no team.

Sorry if this is a bit long i just felt like i needed to describe my position in more detail about why i think this is such a good idea. The "some buffering" --is the minimum cap of only 1350 per week. Players who start early in the season have the opportunity to raise their weekly cap above 1350 and get their gear even faster. first week and you get 2.2k rating means you're going to already have the upper hand. the 1350 cap is really just a small buffer. Giving that to new max level player is no different as if they had no rating from the start.

I honestly believe this idea can only positively influence the pvp community. Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like the idea.
can only see this idea as helping the arena community, I can't think of any way it could seriously be exploited or create an unfair advantage, where as in the current system there is a pretty huge unfair advantage going on for anyone who didn't start grinding as the season started.

The player would still have to win just as many games, if not more, than someone who has been grinding the gear since the start. there is no less work put in so the whole "I grinded every week and worked hard to get it" has no merit.

Honestly best idea I've seen posted here in a long while and the sad thing is not a single dev will read this, thumbs up anyways.

Not only will this allow and encourage new players to do arena and pvp in general, but it will also allow those doing it to try out new characters and add some diversity to games and their playtime.

zero reason people coming into the season late should be at such a huge disadvantage, since again this method does not give them free anything, they still must do the same amount of games as someone who began at the start of the season in order to get the gear.

The weekly cap is just to limit the progression of the season itself, it shouldn't limit the progression of the player when the season has already progressed to the very end.
You've highlighted my points perfectly. I appreciate the post. I'm sure the developers read these forums. If not them, then perhaps some other Blizzard employee; and after that it just takes one email to the right person. Just have to hope the right person reads it.
I can't really find an exact problem I have with this idea, it just sounds too handout-esque to me.
04/08/2012 02:15 AMPosted by Thaladius
I can't really find an exact problem I have with this idea, it just sounds too handout-esque to me.

Most changes made to arena's in regard to gear/gearing and conquest points and rating have been made and deemed handouts, so it's only natural that ones first instinct would be to think back at all the other times it has been altered.

But I assure you that this is in no way a handout.
04/08/2012 02:15 AMPosted by Thaladius

Most changes made to arena's in regard to gear/gearing and conquest points and rating have been made and deemed handouts, so it's only natural that ones first instinct would be to think back at all the other times it has been altered.

But I assure you that this is in no way a handout.
I completely support this post, the only reason I have just 2 85's instead of 8 is because of this very reason. Especially with the last season of an expansion, what would be the point of lvling another char other than just to be 85 for when MoP launches?

This would, if implemented immediantly to resub and play something new at 85.
!@#$ fixing the point system how about they fix MMR first so while we grind for this gear we aren't que'ing into Arena Masters and Gladiators at a 1600 MMR, Yes i am a mad bro.
04/08/2012 05:10 AMPosted by Kâirí
!@#$ fixing the point system how about they fix MMR first so while we grind for this gear we aren't que'ing into Arena Masters and Gladiators at a 1600 MMR, Yes i am a mad bro.

People dont care about rating anymore in arenas. They get their conquest point cap from rated bgs and cheese easy wins in arenas.

There is virtually no incentive to push rating in arenas anymore. And yes its frustrating. The whole ladder is compressed right now.

to the OP

I totally agree that they should boost the caps at this point. People would que instead of feeling like there is no hope of catching up.