Hunter vs Rogues

Hunter
So, despite PvP not being balanced around 1v1 situations...

Hypothetically, if Hunter and Rogue (both 85 and equally geared and skill levels) meet randomly in the world:

A) i) Hunter gets opener on Rogue. - Open area.
ii) Hunter gets opener on Rogue - Enclosed area (such as a cave).

B) i) Rogue gets opener on Hunter. - Open area.
ii) Rogue gets opener on Hunter. - Enclosed area (such as a cave).

Who wins?
Rogue unfortunately, if he's as equally skilled which means he knows what he's doing. A Hunter has to be a level above his opponent to be better than them. I mean an equally geared Hunter might not get "rocked" but it'll give him a run for his money and i see the rogue coming out victorious. Specially with them Legendaries.
I have a hunter at 85, but I'll post on my rogue so no one with the ability to see my alts calls me out for it.

A)i) Hunter hands down. If you lose in an open area with the opener, then your doing something wrong. Remember, shadowstep only has a 25 yard range.

A)ii) This depends entirely on the skill/luck of the hunter. An enclosed area will mean its much easier to trap the rogue in flares so he can't vanish, but a mis aimed disengage could cost you the duel as well. This could go either way.

B)i) If the hunters running with a monkey (or two) they can win this. Hunters have a huge advantage in open areas, and as long as you can get more then 25 yards away, your guaranteed to force a vanish, because the rogue will never be able to get close enough to shadowstep you.

If the rogues willing to pop prep, then his chances go up. If he gets a second opener then the game will probably go to him.

B)ii) The rogue. The hunter just has to many disadvantages in this situation.
Well played hunter can counter everything a rogue does
04/04/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Khinoc
Well played hunter can counter everything a rogue does

Hmm, he said random world pvp. odds are you will not have the drop on the rogue. If the rogue happens to get the drop on you when you don;t have the monkey out you will not win that fight.
04/04/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Prieto
Hmm, he said random world pvp. odds are you will not have the drop on the rogue. If the rogue happens to get the drop on you when you don;t have the monkey out you will not win that fight.

I can beat a rogue in open world regardless of no bad manner ready for cheap shot, i don't run around with a ferocity pet in contested territory either.
In world pvp it seems like most of the encounters involve me about to win and the rogue vanishing or cloak/vanishing and escaping. Kind of frustrating how rogues don't have to face their losses.
Basically what Weran said. As long as you can pressure a rogue to pop his cooldowns 'till he's got none left and survive the ordeal yourself, keeping him at a distance where he can't use shadowstep on you will win you the match very easily. A rogue without cooldowns is a laughably easy kill for hunters.

But obviously this becomes much more difficult in an enclosed space. I'd say it would favor the rogue heavily.
04/04/2012 10:48 PMPosted by Khinoc

I can beat a rogue in open world regardless of no bad manner ready for cheap shot, i don't run around with a ferocity pet in contested territory either.

hmm a good rogue is not starting with cs, bad maners is to stop them when they kidney if you have no ROS or to stop them when they dismantle or to catch them off a sstep.
04/04/2012 11:31 PMPosted by Prieto
hmm a good rogue is not starting with cs, bad maners is to stop them when they kidney if you have no ROS or to stop them when they dismantle or to catch them off a sstep.

a good rogue isn't starting with cheap shot? What are you getting garroted by rogues? lmao

good luck reliably bad mannering mid combat when piercing shots, snake trap dots/attacks are rolling....everything you mentioned is better countered with web from a spider barring kidney shot.
04/04/2012 11:36 PMPosted by Khinoc

a good rogue isn't starting with cheap shot? What are you getting garroted by rogues? lmao

good luck reliably bad mannering mid combat when piercing shots, snake trap dots/attacks are rolling....everything you mentioned is better countered with web from a spider barring kidney shot.

no premed to lucky ambush crit already gave them 5cps for kidney

as stated before monkey blind is to stop/mess with their opener or to gain ground after the dismantle following said opener. But then again you sound like you know what you are doing against those garrotting rogues so no need to discuss tactics
No rogue opens with premed ambush kidney im sorry that is so scrub worthy and explains why it takes you into the hundreds to break 1200 rating.

let me pop 2 20 sec CDs to accomplish what I could of done with 1 baseline spell. Good idea man
Didnt read what anyone else said, but hunter should win every time.

Garrote adds the bleed instantly to you which incresaes their damage(via Sanguinary vein), and saves them the GCD from Hemo.

Stop fighting bad Rogues.

Inb4 Armory attack
Only class that can beat hunter 1v1 is a skill capped mage.
No rogue opens with premed ambush kidney im sorry that is so scrub worthy and explains why it takes you into the hundreds to break 1200 rating.

let me pop 2 20 sec CDs to accomplish what I could of done with 1 baseline spell. Good idea man

Yup of course, the rogue saves his premed that can only be used in stealth for after he pops out....and of course he uses cheap shot before kidney so that kidney has 75% duration due to diminishing returns.

Go actually pvp on a rogue yourself, if you're starting out with cs you're gimping yourself.
Premed/ambush/kidney/shadowdance. If you don't have a monkey, it forces a trinket or you're practically dead, spider is not better, it's completely useless for countering this starter, you're stunned in place and you think webbing the rogue right next to you is helpful? Monkey blind however, you've just been stunned for 5-6 by kidney, pop monkey blind, rogue is disorientated for 4s during a time when he's probably popped his trinket and dance. That leaves you both out of cc around the same time, you've used a single 1m pet cd, he's used 2x 20s cd's and a 1m cd. Here I would tend to scatter-trap for distance then start blowing him up, WITH serpent sting on, if he shadowsteps you have disengage (his kidney is on cd right now so can't stop you) meaning it's kiting time unless he blows vanish and cloak, 2m and 1.5m cd's.
You now have either a dead kited rogue or a vanished rogue with 2 long cd's used and you still have your trinket up. Drop a flare and start eating! This puts you either back to full hp or forces the rogue to come in and open or sap, if he saps and you spot him use your pet to know him out of stealth.