Games people love but you hate

Games, Gaming and Hardware
04/08/2012 08:39 PMPosted by Valhalo
Halo, Call of Duty, and just about any boring, formulaic game featuring some rough, brown haired, mid-30's white guy. All of these games lack soul and the player-base is nothing I'd want to associate myself with.

Halo has a very deep sci-fi backstory...

It is not a 21st century military shooter...
Portal 2, I don't hate it, but I bought it out of curiosity after all the memes and merchandise that spawned from the first one. You can completely clear the single player story and co op in a week at a casual pace, and there are many other games that offer several times more content at the same level of quality. I bought it just to check out the series, enjoyed it, but I do not see myself purchasing a third installment if one came to be.

I will also add Halo, the controls feel strange to me and the combat doesn't seem like anything special.
Anything from the Final Fantasy franchise. That type of gameplay has never been my cup of tea.
04/08/2012 08:39 PMPosted by Valhalo
Halo, Call of Duty, and just about any boring, formulaic game featuring some rough, brown haired, mid-30's white guy. All of these games lack soul and the player-base is nothing I'd want to associate myself with.

Did you even play Halo..? It's a sci-fi shooter.

morrowwind. i have tried numerous times....i just can't get into that game.
i am still angry they took out the mako after mass effect 1. i LIKE space exploration of planets like that.

If you played Oblivion or Skyrim before playing Morrowind then it's a very different game.

Anyways, I'd have to say that Half-Life is very overrated. The game feels like it's a on-rails shooter with a few puzzles here and there.
With the exception of Ghost Trick and Okamiden, pretty much ANYTHING put out by Capcom recently. Not so much because of the quality of the game, but because of the shameful business practices of the parent company itself. Capcom's become so greedy it'd make Gordon Gecko do a double-take. And unfortunately for them, it seems much more people have grown wise to their questionable business ethics and Capcom is currently hurting and hurting HARD.
04/08/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Seiva
Goldeneye. For a period measured in years it was the only game my friends played.

Playing that game today it looks like !@#$ i have to say...those are probably the worst n64 graphics
04/09/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Faliz
Goldeneye. For a period measured in years it was the only game my friends played.

Playing that game today it looks like !@#$ i have to say...those are probably the worst n64 graphics

You want a game with the same game play, but smoother graphics? Try Perfect Dark on the N64. It's also available on XBL arcade with more polished textures.
There are lots actually lol

-Battlefield series (Tried a game once, some kid who sounded like he had not reached puberty yet kept yelling and screaming through his mic)
-Call of Duty series
-Borderlands
-Resident Evil (Heck any game involving zombies...zombies have been done to death)
-Uncharted 1,2,3 (Dont see what the fuss was all about its just a game that makes you be a circus monkey every chance it gets "Hmm a jeep blocks the road! cant climb over it so I'll climb over a building" dumb)
Half-Life 2. I kinda liked Ep.2, but I just couldn't get into it. Although Alyx was always a hottie.

MW3. Seriously, how can anybody like it. It's like the other twenty nine CoDs, but with a couple of new guns added.

ToR. Need I say more? (it even rhymes)

Civ V. I couldn't get into it. I remember playing Civ 3 and 4 for the first time. I couldn't get off the computer for days. Civ 5...I just dropped after an hour.

StarCraft 2. Now... don't get me wrong, I love SC2's story, and can't wait for HotS. But the MP and bot play is just like the first one -- build up faster than the other guy and zerg him... I tend to select Company of Heroes over SC2 ...well...just because...
04/09/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Demonwolf

You want a game with the same game play, but smoother graphics? Try Perfect Dark on the N64. It's also available on XBL arcade with more polished textures.
Its still good, just saying its graphcis werent as good as other games on N64, and yes im aware it was remade for the Wii PS3 and 360
04/08/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Murtrax
Oblivion, Skyrim
04/08/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Scuzz
Mass Effect. Yes, the first one. It turned me off to the franchise enough that I never bothered with 2 or 3.
Call of Duty.

Battlefield.

04/08/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Taalma
Driving games... all of them...

All of the above.

04/08/2012 07:19 PMPosted by Orengreen
I've grown really disinterested in the Zelda games. I loved Link to the Past, Ocarina, and Majora's Mask. Windwaker was fun, but the first Zelda game I didn't bother playing a second time. When it came to Twilight Princess, I actually had to force my way through it. Then with Skyward Sword, I just couldn't bare it. I got past the forest temple and called it quits after that,

I'm the same way, only I've played Windwaker through several times. I didn't make it through Twilight Princess and have no interest in Skyward sword or any of the other Zeldas that have been released within the last 3~5 years.
04/08/2012 10:46 PMPosted by Seiva

say it aint so! r.i.p. race to select oddjob.

i too hate all racing games, and yet i like flight simulators and the like.
I hated Guitar Hero back around when it seemed to be "the thing". I just hated it. Could play it, but hated it. Probably had something to do with the fact I never won. Ever. :/
Ironically, I loved Rock Band more. That was more "working together" than the ego stroking Guitar Hero seemed to be.

Oblivion is another. The graphics were a partial deterrent, but largely not the issue.
I hated the combat and just how "clunky" everything seemed to be. And then a friend had my character steal a bunch of stuff (because she was really good at the game, where as I was not) and on top of the fact I hated the controls, how I had a bounty I'd never get rid of and everyone hated me. :/ Haven't touched that game since.

Call of Duty, for sure. I want to ram my head into walls when I see those games. It's like they took all that I hate in games and smashed them together. Wheeeeeee~
Halo is lumped in there, but mostly because it is a shooter and that is not a game genre I enjoy.

I have a love/hate relationship with Jet Force Gemini on the N64 because of that, as well.

Racing games.

Dancing games; like Zumba and all that crap. The only one I even bother to like is only 2 versions of DDR. But that's it.
1) Ocarina of Time

I generally love the Zelda games. Something about Ocarina of Time made me want to stab my eyes out. I can't even put my finger on it.

2) Anything related to Pokemon

To be fair, I worked at Babbage's (now Gamestop) the year Pokemon Frenzy happened in the US, it turned me off to the franchise permanently.

3) Any fighting game

While it's not unusual for genres to remain somewhat stagnant (RTS and FPS haven't changed all that much in 15 years), every time I see the hot new fighting game, it looks exactly like all the old no-longer-hot fighting games of yesteryear. Seriously, I dont think this genre has evolved at all since Street Fighter was in arcades.