Blizz: Only Gameplay, orcs, and humans matter

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next

Chris Metzen:

I can see how his statement might lead people to misleading thoughts.

At first glance one might perceive that he is stating World of Warcraft is about the war between just those two races seemingly implying all others are just the recruited help standing in the background.

Though as stated I doubt that was his point but the confusion is tangible. Honestly I dont care who is at the front or the main focus, as long as my characters place in the world feels like it matters and Im presented an in depth and compelling story.

Only if you ignore the "it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension" part. Metzen and Bliz cannot be blamed for everything wrong in the game AND the lack of reading comprehension in the real world.

The problem is that the OP saw what he wanted to see without looking at what was really there. Metzen's words are not vague in any way.
I have a question for the blue.

Are Alliance towns in MoP going to be perpetually on fire, half constructed, or both throughout the expansion? Moreover, do they achieve any wins besides helping Thrall out?
People tend to cart around their particular hobby horses and interpret every single piece of media and publicity Blizzard releases in order to feed said hobby horses.

It's gotten to the point where Blizzard employees could communicate only through discordant shrieks in a language entirely of their own invention and people would interpret it as Blizzard hating the Alliance/Horde/Their Class/Elites/Casuals and Their Race. Not to mention the creepy level of Kremlinology that goes on at times.

I imagine this is why Zarhym drinks.

As to why Draenei, Death Knights and Belves got sidelined, I imagine it's because they had extremely lore rich experiences in their respective expansions and expecting that level of lore involvement to continue beyond the standard set for other classes and races is perhaps problematic.
Don't take the story in this game seriously. It will make you much happier.

It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously. There is no real character development, no nuance, and most of the time no plot. There is the bare minimum to make the game an rpg. Looking closely at the lore, even the more developed humans and orcs, causes it to fall apart.

Why? Because the majority of players do not require a good story, or any kind of story at all.

Look at dungeons: Who is Asira Dawnslayer? Had you ever heard of her before the Hour of Twilight instance? Will we ever hear of her ever again? That's the majority of npc's we interact with. They have no bearing on the story, no connection to anything else, and once encountered will never be seen or heard of again.

Most people don't read quest text. I know I don't. Because it doesn't matter. Most of it is just a throwaway as everything else in the game and has no connection to an overarching story, tells you nothing of value about the world, and is actually just a thin smokescreen for why your character should collect/kill X object.

There are so many missed opportunities for injecting story into the world.
I have a question for the blue.

Are Alliance towns in MoP still going to be perpetually on fire, half constructed, or both throughout the expansion?

You know, even I have to admit that Astranaar has been on fire for an awful long time now. ;)
You know, even I have to admit that Astranaar has been on fire for an awful long time now. ;)

So is Sentinel Hill, really you would think we would have put out the fire by now. I guess that is another issue with the story. Phasing could have been used alot more for the Alliance to show we didnt totally lose everything.

04/12/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
Chris said in interviews during the Mists of Pandaria press tour that Varian was written with several character flaws, and we expected him to have likability issues. The whole point was to create a character who was a little rough around the edges. It makes for a more interesting story when you see a flawed individual rise up to the challenges of being a truly great leader, which is what we have in store for Varian this expansion. So it was important for us to give him a bit of dimension in terms of personality.

I guess the issue with Varian is the character development portion(yes I know MoP is gonna correct that) mostly ended up in the non game mediums while the flaw portion ended up getting too much screentime. I bet most people dont even know how great he is and I do fear the trials of the high king may end up being forced and Varian ends up being Thrall vs. 2.0, you know the guy everyone end up tired of dealing with at the end of the expac...

There are probable an equal amount of alliance players that want him dead as much as be a hero.
[quote]You know, even I have to admit that Astranaar has been on fire for an awful long time now. ;)

It's made of wood and night elves.

Both are very flammable.
Original Metzenese:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about...

English Translation:
"...the original pillars of the franchise are the orcs and humans; those pillars have grown and now include the entire Alliance and Horde. At it's core, Warcraft always has to be about long-term conflict between these two growing factions"

Forum-ian Translation:
"...the pillars of the franchise are Thrall and Money, and it really is about Ghostcrawler, Zarhym, and me getting Rank 1 Gladiator titles every season by extension; it really is about buffing the classes we play and then beating the brains out of noobs for an extended period of time. That's always gotta be what Warcraft is about... me"
04/12/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Gibbet
As to why Draenei, Death Knights and Belves got sidelined, I imagine it's because they had extremely lore rich experiences in their respective expansions and expecting that level of lore involvement to continue beyond the standard set for other classes and races is perhaps problematic.

If we are to believe that they did have "lore rich" experiences, what is problematic about continuing them? It's not impossible for multiple inter-related story-lines to go on at once-- or even for characters and story lines not to just drop off the radar completely never to be hinted at ever again, especially without resolution.

It seems more problematic to me to expect such disjointed storytelling to be successful. You can't expect your audience to wait years for a story line to continue and expect them to care about the story.
04/12/2012 07:00 PMPosted by Ferlion
Please stop with the insults towards Zarth. This is a chance to get a discussion going, and this aint helping.

Seriously, things are tense enough as it is, and I don't want to see anyone else bailing or getting banned tonight.

On topic and to whom it may concern: You have to understand it's hard to pull for any race other than the Humans and Orcs and not feel like your favourite race is just playing second fiddle.

I can understand the other races having secondary, supporting roles, but oftentimes, it feels like they don't even have that.

The Draenei and Blood Elves are said to be slated to get some time in the limelight, that's a good thing, but people're concerned that everything either faction does is all in the name or service of the story of Orcs and Humans.

It's not all doom and gloom, but there are always concerns.
Shh Hxdes, dont scare away the blue.
The problem is still being ignored.

Sure, the OP was stupid in saying that that quote was reason enough that blizzard doesn't care, but people in this thread have been constantly saying that everyone else is ignored, even giving proof of it.

Stop ignoring the issue in favor of making the OP look bad Zarhym, it's unbecoming. Even if it's an Human v Orc war, we should still see the other factions doing stuff with the war, but we never do. Tyrande is a house wife, the council sits on their thrones, Velan went poof, Vol'jin and Baine just sulk in their corner etc...

Blizzard is not ignoring this. Its simply due to the fact that there have been heaps of threads of this kind pop up over the past few months. Each thread has had credible points raised about the way the story of warcraft is currently being told. Blizzard have said many times "message recieved" and im sure they're working stuff into MoP. Sure Cata was a train wreck in terms of story telling but don't be too quick to judge MoP.
I mean I'd be all for seeing Worgen (mentioning them since they are the latest race and are seemingly no where) being like the way they are portrayed in books like Wolfheart and all that rather than being fuzzy night elves whenever they are around such as all throughout Kalimdor questing (since apparently they forget all about the continent they are actually from and trying to retake their homeland and suddenly care more about Kalimdor). Course that'd mean we would actually have to see worgen being anywhere in-game rather than some copy pasted tree from Gilneas in Darnassus since making a worgen district in Stormwind would have meant actually spending some time on the Alliance stuff kinda like how the Alliance intro to TH has sound files and all that but instead we got Kosaks stupid dwarf.
so whats been pretty much said is that alliance is just a blue horde? man why even bother having two factions then ya know that whole alliance deal nah we were just playing yall are blue horde now
Original Metzenese:
"...the pillars of the franchise are orcs and humans; it really is the Alliance and Horde by extension, and it really is those two groups beating the brains out of each other for an extended period of time. That’s always gotta be what Warcraft is about...

English Translation:
"...the original pillars of the franchise are the orcs and humans; those pillars have grown and now include the entire Alliance and Horde. At it's core, Warcraft always has to be about long-term conflict between these two growing factions"

Forum-ian Translation:
"...the pillars of the franchise are Thrall and Money, and it really is about Ghostcrawler, Zarhym, and me getting Rank 1 Gladiator titles every season by extension; it really is about buffing the classes we play and then beating the brains out of noobs for an extended period of time. That's always gotta be what Warcraft is about... me"
^ amen
04/12/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
Now, sure, I'm paraphrasing what Chris said as well. The difference here though is I sat in with him on multiple interviews where he relayed this sentiment. So my paraphrasing is more accurate than yours. :p

Ok, I want to say this.

You know we Alliance complain about the unknown intent of our leaders, our lore, our story. We've been claiming for answers and we're told about "Fist-pumping" moments which end up being a complete dissapointment to many, many people, its promise holds no sway over the rest of the land so I gotta bring this up regarding this one thing you mention.

Thank you.

It's when someone shows up to clear up this stuff that we have some delicious lore bits.

Now that that's been said, I completely disagree.

So far I still believe the individual cultures are blanked out under a Blue or Red banner, or a Neutral one, and I still see no logic of High Priestesses, Prophets, Arch-Druids, High Tinkers and Kings to submit to the one, sole rule of a single leader.

It likewise feels a bit odd to see, for example, Tauren submitting to the wills of the Warchief when it goes against everything they usually stand for without as much as a whimper. Seeing such things gives, at least me, the feeling that these leaders, these races are being neutered a bit just to favor an all-encompassing feeling of belonging to either Blue or Red without allowing a savor of those little bits that make up Blue or Red.

Also, give me Silverwind Refuge back or I'll get vitriolic on you. Hiss. Hiss. Growl. See. I'm dangerous without even having blue text on me.