Velen's short story up

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 4 16 Next
04/13/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Cregan
I must say that that story made me lose a lot of respect for the Draenei. Easily our least loyal and trustworthy member.

Of course they aren't loyal to the Alliance the deal to them basically was, "look we need help, but as soon as Draenor is back in our hands, were leaving but we will keep in touch <3"

That was sort of the same deal with the Blood Elves and the Horde. "Soon as we hit Outland, we're out!"

Really, the Blood Elves and Draenei should both be going neutral at this point. Like the Pandaren. PC's can just be volunteers from now on.
04/13/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Funny thing. They don't mention the Pandaren. Just how long has this story been shelved?

And the stories defense, I don't think there is that many Pandaren between the factions.

I normally get bored of the Alliance stories (Because Alliance themes bore me), but this one kept me entertained and I very much enjoyed it.

I wonder, though, he saw Dragons and Naaru in the Army of the Light - What becomes of the other religions of Azeroth? No Ancients? No Elements? No Loa? Granted, it is the Army of the Light, but you would think the Horde, who mostly don't believe it in, would just add their own power to the Army.

My guess (More like hope) is that Army of the Light is just a name, and we won't all be fighting directly for or because of the Light.

They can't fly?
04/13/2012 08:54 PMPosted by Ilthen
Instead of the prince, an armored warrior stood before him, his plate helm and breastplate shining with the essence of the Light itself. The warrior wielded a sword forged from the same material as the armor, held it aloft as he perched on an outcropping... Whether it was on another world or Azeroth, Velen couldn't quite tell. And suddenly the dark sky above erupted with the combined chivalry of Azeroth's races. The blood elves, orcs, trolls, tauren, and even the accursed undead and scheming goblins rode flying mounts of every sort and description. They were armored and armed in magical weaponry glowing with so much power it hurt Velen's eyes to look at them. Beside the legions of the Horde, the ancient night elves charged with humans, dwarves, and gnomes, whose ancestors formed the original Alliance, and the shape-changing worgen were united with them. Velen's own draenei bolstered the army, their ranks adorned in otherworldly metals and bearing crystalline maces and swords.

Funny thing. They don't mention the Pandaren. Just how long has this story been shelved?
Maybe a fluke on Blizzards part, but my god I can picture this in my head, going YES. YES. YES. KILL SARGERAS.
I'd prefer that the Horde got their own army so that I won't see Paladin-Anduin leading groups of Undead Warlocks and Goblin Rogues into battle.
Ugh. Sort of scared to force myself to read this.
04/13/2012 09:20 PMPosted by Elenie

Of course they aren't loyal to the Alliance the deal to them basically was, "look we need help, but as soon as Draenor is back in our hands, were leaving but we will keep in touch <3"

That was sort of the same deal with the Blood Elves and the Horde. "Soon as we hit Outland, we're out!"

Really, the Blood Elves and Draenei should both be going neutral at this point. Like the Pandaren. PC's can just be volunteers from now on.

This isn't a half bad idea.
04/13/2012 09:20 PMPosted by Elenie

Only difference with the Blood Elves is without the Hordes help they are going to loose most of their land and basically be in bad terms with Sylvanas and they really don't want that.

I think the Dranei care, they just want to go back home.
Seriously though. Awesome story. I'm a huge Horde fan and all, and I'm usually disgusted by the Light and all the goodie-two-shoes mentality it forwards, but this story made me suddenly gain a respect for it.

It wasn't the kind of "the Light doesn't abandon its own" hippie stuff we saw in Icecrown. It was full of philosophy and visions of events and actual decisions and choices with solid consequences, which brought even Velen down to earth, both figuratively and literally.

His robes were stained!
04/13/2012 09:21 PMPosted by Vyrin
I'd prefer that the Horde got their own army so that I won't see Paladin-Anduin leading groups of Undead Warlocks and Goblin Rogues into battle.

Stop being so Alliance biased and realize that Anduin needs everyone to defeat the Legion.

He isn't biased unlike you.
Only difference with the Blood Elves is without the Hordes help they are going to loose most of their land and basically be in bad terms with Sylvanas and they really don't want that.

I think the Dranei care, they just want to go back home.

Unless they re-unite with the High Elves, then they can hold their lands themselves. I'm not going to derail this thread further on that, though. There are other threads on this forum about it.
Stop being so Alliance biased and realize that Anduin needs everyone to defeat the Legion.

Correction. He's gonna need 25 schmucks of a single faction to defeat the Legion.

Now, if they make Anduin neutral like they made THRALL neutral and not like they made Tirion neutral then I'll be happy. As in, make it obvious that he's only using the Horde as tools to defeat the Legion and doesn't care about them as much as he does the Alliance (and preferably, have a questline where he uses the Light to eradicate an army of Forsaken.)
Apparently it's the destiny of Anduin and the Alliance to go neutral.

Come on, by the time this is actually done it will be the Alliance AND the Horde working together. Look, we always knew this was the likely end of Warcraft. Neither side would end up being destroyed and both will unite for the common good.

Correction. He's gonna need 25 schmucks of a single faction to defeat the Legion.

Now, if they make Anduin neutral like they made THRALL neutral and not like they made Tirion neutral then I'll be happy. As in, make it obvious that he's only using the Horde as tools to defeat the Legion and doesn't care about them as much as he does the Alliance (and preferably, have a questline where he uses the Light to eradicate an army of Forsaken.)

That's not how the Light works. Its followers are all benevolent creatures of utter benevolence. They are so benevolent, they puke rainbows and bleed butterflies.
I honestly hope by the time this Army of the Light rolls around, they just turn PvP into a side game (Severed from the Lore) and take away the faction language barrier and world PvP and such. It only makes sense, if we're going to be working together, we should be working together.
04/13/2012 09:29 PMPosted by Malanis
That's not how the Light works. Its followers are all benevolent creatures of utter benevolence. They are so benevolent, they puke rainbows and bleed butterflies.

Yeah, I liked the part of this story where the Draenei benevolently began striking down unarmed refugees.

I don't see why being a Light-user seems to suddenly mean you're a wuss. Part of the theme of the Light is Retribution, IE getting pissed off over perceived injustices, yet we never see any Light-users doing that nowadays. Not a single light user is currently upset at the Horde for some reason thanks to the Horde's plot immunity, despite the Horde doing things that should make them feel righteous indignation.

Yeah, I liked the part of this story where the Draenei benevolently began striking down unarmed refugees.

I don't see why being a Light-user seems to suddenly mean you're a wuss. Part of the theme of the Light is Retribution, IE getting pissed off over perceived injustices, yet we never see any Light-users doing that nowadays. Not a single light user is currently upset at the Horde for some reason thanks to the Horde's plot immunity, despite the Horde doing things that should make them feel righteous indignation.

Well, that's why this story was so awesome. It portrayed even Velen as not perfect.

However, the general idea is still that the wielders of the Light shouldn't be massacring anyone, especially not without repentance afterwards (like in the story).
04/13/2012 09:40 PMPosted by Malanis
However, the general idea is still that the wielders of the Light shouldn't be massacring anyone, especially not without repentance afterwards (like in the story).

Why? I didn't see any Paladins weeping out of shame for killing so many Orcs in the Second War, not for killing so many Cult of the Damned in Northrend, nor for all the undead they kill.

Again, being a Light-user shouldn't mean that you're suddenly a wimp who lets people walk all over him.

Why? I didn't see any Paladins weeping out of shame for killing so many Orcs in the Second War, not for killing so many Cult of the Damned in Northrend, nor for all the undead they kill.

Again, being a Light-user shouldn't mean that you're suddenly a wimp who lets people walk all over him.

Well, those were like... proto-paladins.

Since the arrival of the draenei and the introduction of the Naaru, the Light has become much like modern Christianity, in that its champions detest crusading zealots and are obsessed with world peace.

However, this story just... threw out the window the carebear ways of the Light's portrayal in other places and basically drew the draenei and even all the forces in Velen's vision as but one faction opposed to the Legion, the "darkness" and whatnot, which was really great.

Being a Light user means you are steadfast in your beliefs. Nobody questions you. And anyone who opposes you, you are to destroy.
04/13/2012 09:46 PMPosted by Baalsamael
Being a Light user means you are steadfast in your beliefs. Nobody questions you. And anyone who opposes you, you are to destroy.

Unless the Horde opposes you, in which case you suddenly stop giving a crap, apparently.