Getting wrecked in PvP as Afflict. What do?

Warlock
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
I just want to chime in with my bretherin. I love locks, i just want to make that clear. This was my second level 60 character during vanilla and i wish i played and mastered it more during the expansions. So here we are in Cata and warlock pvp is COMPLETLY different than what it was in BC and Wrath. IMO we have to gear, spec, glyph for defense and survivability. Trying to up your damage will just get you insta gibbed in the field. Since Affliction is really the only pvp spec right now, the longer you can last in the fight, the more damage you do and the more CC you can do. Our purpose in Cata is to slowly drain everybodies health down while we CC the healers, because god knows we cant kill healers 1v1.

SO my fellow warlocks, Survive!
Yeah I still don't understand why anyone would complain about warlocks when they aren't even setting their character up properly. Do you complain that your car is difficult to drive when you remove the steering wheel?
04/25/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Conradical
Yeah I still don't understand why anyone would complain about warlocks when they aren't even setting their character up properly. Do you complain that your car is difficult to drive when you remove the steering wheel?

LOL wtf. Love the analogy.
Ok so I am not gonna lie I have been playing for 4 years and everytime I made a lock I leveled it to about 25 then deleted it. The truth is locks become great at level 19 with destruction and become great when u get souls swap with affliction. I don't have his at all but i always get top 5 on damage. I do admire tho the kill/death ratio is like 1 kill to 3 deaths at low levels. Just kite back to ur group and stay away from hunters.
Ya in regards again to the youtube videos from cobrak. I had a friend of mine who plays a rogue watch the video with me and agreed on this comment from a user on youtube stating:

"So,Any decent rogue will kill a lock within 1 stun lock. That being said the rogue won't waste cloak on fears / seduction until AFTER or during a lethal dance. also he won't waste shadow step EVER on a pet...It just won't happen,If the rogue stays lock entire fight even with cc's he can stick with it and flawless the lock within 5 seconds... example rogues are "Xzt / (Fake) Fiveshot" and example locks are "Lexka" : /
If im wrong please speak up,Not hatin just statin what i've seen...."

Also i noticed during the vid, the intial stunlock cobrak did survive, but only slightly and at the end when he offcially won, i think he was down to maybe 2% health. My rogue friend attests to having both legendary daggers on him, said lock would not survive.

During the hunter part of his video he duels a hunter. My hunter friend watches this and laughs because he says being beast mastery 1. would just ice trap said lock and burn the succubus down in about 3 seconds and 2. being beast mastery he can pop beastiel wrath and be immune to seduction and fear for 10 seconds and i have seen his dps, i doubt the lock would last that long.

Having said that i admire cobrak's videos and think he actually put them up very well. I am not dissing our class as much as getting feedback from other players from other classes. And again locks being the most complained about in pvp from people playing locks and other classes burning us down, seems to be universal.
04/26/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Avime
being beast mastery he can pop beastiel wrath and be immune to seduction and fear for 10 seconds and i have seen his dps
Beastial wrath no longer makes the hunter immune to those effects, but it does act like another "trinket" and breaks them when you first activate it. The pet is the only one immune to fear effects now.
04/26/2012 05:49 PMPosted by Avime
During the hunter part of his video he duels a hunter. My hunter friend watches this and laughs because he says being beast mastery 1. would just ice trap said lock and burn the succubus down in about 3 seconds and 2. being beast mastery he can pop beastiel wrath and be immune to seduction and fear for 10 seconds and i have seen his dps, i doubt the lock would last that long.

I don't think your hunter friend is a very good source of information.
Well if bestial wrath does that, then i must have misinterpreted what he said and i apologize. I know for a fact he uses the T-rex pet because other pets use a debuff that gets dispelled right off, but the rex does a bite making healing go down like a mortal strike move. So that would hurt any soul leech used or possible drain lifes.

I still wonder though even if the pet is the only thing affected what the outcome would be and as i stated before, his burst is very high as well as my rogue friend using the cursed legendary daggers lol.
04/30/2012 03:06 AMPosted by Avime
I still wonder though even if the pet is the only thing affected what the outcome would be and as i stated before, his burst is very high as well as my rogue friend using the cursed legendary daggers lol.
I do not doubt the rogue can kill warlocks, they counter us and I could not care less. Bm hunters on the other hand are crappy after Bestial wrath and you can easily CC them through it now. Then once BW is down you can fear their pet and pretty much ALL their damage is gone.
04/11/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Moopand
i just deleted my lock.i did almost nothing but pvp to 20.things went from so so to just awful.it was clear a lock isnt a good choice for a pvp char.even with vanillia and healing potions.mages,rogues,hunters,pallies,all owned me.about the only char in pvp i was better then was a warrior.theyre just an awful char all the way around.so what to do.do as i did and delete your lock and make a rogue or hunter

Not sure what you were doing but...I have no problems with PVPing currently in the low brackets...you have to be smart...this low we don't have the utility to survive much of the burst (i.e. Rogues, Ferals, and Hunters). That said I stick with the group, as you should always do, and I dot the hell out of everyone in sight and then focus one...I help peel where I can, etc.

Maybe the Lock class just isn't meant for you, which is okay. Everyone is not going to agree with the play style of a class.
04/25/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Conradical
Preach it! Qft.Edit. I really don't understand what the problem is. We have 2 instant fears, a port, no burst damage per se but damage mitigation through our pet that if done correctly heals us. We have a one time burst heal along with wonderful hot and lifesteal. Also the felhound is your friend. I've seen mine crit for well over 30k. There really only 2 classes that I have regular and consistent problems with. Sub rogues and frost or unholy dk's. When you're playing a warlock you have to also read what the other player is doing. Time your escapes from melee and take control of the fight. Tailoring as a profession is your friend. The back enchant is spiffy and never ever underestimate nets. Netting will give you 2100 dam and 3 seconds to do what you need to do. 3 seconds 1v1 is a freaking eternity.
This thread has been very helpful. I am still working on implementing everything, it's a lot to digest and get setup right via macros etc. You all helped get out of the free HK territory, very thankful for that.

I am going to continue leveling in BG's should I spend my honor on the lvl 80 pvp gear or continue to opt for cata greens/blues? saving the honor for lvl 85 gear?
I know das right
04/30/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Lyyr
I am going to continue leveling in BG's should I spend my honor on the lvl 80 pvp gear or continue to opt for cata greens/blues? saving the honor for lvl 85 gear?
save the honor, you will get geared faster at 85 that way and you will be able to max out your gear faster. That makes you a less likely kill target :).
well all i can say right now from beta is locks in some ways i feel will be overpowered in pve and pvp. I would assume because how screwed up we are in both at the moment and everyt time this happens with a class, blizzards way to fix stuff is OP the class. Like ret paladins before lol, bubble wings was best lol. Everything i seen so far in AFF and DES are downright disturbing lol. I still don't like anything about Demonology yet.

I am to the point that when mists does hit, if the current lock changes do stay pvp will be dam sure interesting now for us. I have made at least one character of every class just to see their changes and imo warr and lock will be the hardest to kill.

Miind you this is my own personal opinion, but i have told people many reasons why. I am not saying other classes have not gotten better in some ways, but also worse and so far for us, nothing but improvements.

Again i been doing at least 2 random bg's a day and being DES in a bg helps alot and i do way better then i ever did as Aff and Dam sure demon, but i still feel we are lacking in one on one situations no matter what videos get posted. But hey things will be changing in mists, let's hope they stay from what i've seen so far.
04/11/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Moopand
i just deleted my lock.i did almost nothing but pvp to 20.things went from so so to just awful.it was clear a lock isnt a good choice for a pvp char.even with vanillia and healing potions.mages,rogues,hunters,pallies,all owned me.about the only char in pvp i was better then was a warrior.theyre just an awful char all the way around.so what to do.do as i did and delete your lock and make a rogue or hunter

please NEVER again speak in the lock forums. you are a MORON who sucks really bad. the top 3v3 teams in the world all include warlocks. there also one of the most dominant classes in BGs
04/12/2012 02:40 PMPosted by Bagelsnlox
18-22% of your damage in arenas. If you did a theoretical 1mil damage that means 200,000 of it was this trinket proc'ing. Without this trinket you would have done 800,000 damage. So in reality this trinket is a dps boost of 25%

lol'd at this
18-22% is now equal to 25%

Also Conradical, any tips on my setup? Much appreciated. (if you see this)