Level 70 Twink Advice

Battlegrounds
Hello.

I've been away from the game for a while, but decided to come back and join some friends in the lower-level "twinking" brackets. We've been told that the 70-74 bracket is particularly active, so we're seeking some advice regarding it.

First and foremost, why do a lot of characters seem to stop at 70 rather than level to 74? My only guess is that it has something to do with stat weights, but I really can't imagine that another four levels wouldn't make up for that. Could someone explain the logic behind this, preferably in some detail (as opposed to just "you don't need to know why; do it because everyone else is doing it, you nub")?

Second, are there particular classes or specs that we should avoid if we just want to sit back and have fun? I'm leaning towards a Rogue simply because I love to pick and choose my fights, but do they have a hard time in this bracket? Are Protection Paladins still annoying to fight against? How about Frost Mages?

Third, I'm assuming that most of the gear we'll want comes from the Sunwell Plateau and/or Black Temple, mixed-and-matched with some of the gladiator stuff. Is there any other good gear out there that we should keep an eye out for, like world drops or reputation stuff?

Fourth, what are some of the better professions? I'm leaning towards Engineering (which is obviously good) and probably Tailoring. Maybe Enchanting first until I get two really good rings to enchant, then switching to Tailoring. Are there better combos? What about the impact of the gathering professions?

Finally, if allowed, could anyone offer some armory links to some of the more notoriously good players in this bracket? Naturally I'm interested in Rogues the most, but anything that might give me a better idea of what to expect or what to aim for would be greatly welcome.

Thank you in advance. :)
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/Cerr%C3%AEdwen/simple

You lose something like 25% of your secondary stats if you go to 74 and use the 70 gear. And it's generally considered a crutch.
I like how everyone points out how you lose secondary stats as if its going to cripple you and then call it a crutch as well. Last time I checked, crutches don't cripple you. You guys need to get your stories straight.
I think the crutch is the perks certain classes get for jumping above 70... Weapon choices, spells, ability to detect, chance to miss and so on. And no a crutch doesn't cripple you, but, it does help one that can't walk.... well walk.
Does that "crutch" really cripple you, though? For instance, is that ~25% bonus to secondary stats greater than the higher miss chances, stealth chance/detection, bonus to attributes and health, and access to new skills (which I guess doesn't matter in many cases due to a general lack of new skills between 70 and 75, particularly for Rogues)?

What I mean is, if you two equally geared and competent rogues meet each other on the field, and one is level 70 whilst the other is 74, does the 70 really have the advantage?
What I'm saying is, they make a vein attempted to veer you away from going above 70, by stating you put yourself at a disadvantage with the stat decay. But if you do go to 74, you are taking the easy way out with the advantage of being 74. So which is it? An advantage or a disadvantage? It can be both in certain aspects, but overall it is one or the other.

On the rogues note, they solo any non healer no matter what level the are. Why don't they also call certain classes a crutch?
The bracket started out with people playing on BC accounts in wtlk. This Allowed you to stop at 70 and twink and not gain xp in a BG. Alot played AV only where it was 61-70, alot also played wsg/ab where it was 70-79. All of us used arena at the time to gain points to buy our brutal gear. So I guess some of see the bracket as a "70" bracket. Where a twink was 70 because they only had BC.

Now things have changed but like the others say 70+ are not held in high regard. Some reasons now why 70 is more mainstream I guess is mainly arena. You can start a team at 70 but once you level you cant make a new team or join another existing team. Alot like to change teams and move around from server/faction. Arena is a good way to build guild rep too.

Some guilds also like to run full 70 raids and Heroic's, for fun and justice points I guess and that old BC feeling. Raids have been nerfed and 70s talents/spells buffed but some still like the nostalga I guess.

As a healer I would love cyclone but the loss of resil is just to great, as dps you loose crit, haste but make up for it with level/weapon. As a rogue u dont need to level above 70, the class is op as it is. However if you are just after lols then go 71 to get Niffs, no other reason to level past that.

70 Most OP class' are the classic PMR
2specs Disc/Shadow
2specs Frost/fire (frost is the most OP class/spec well in front of fire)
Sub

DK
rogue
enhance sham

Pally ret/prot (wings one shot)

? never see any

Hunter
Feral Druid

Check out the post on the NAO 70 torny just gone by this weekend, you will find alot of good info, video links and people to armory there.

As you can imagine we have many rogues in the bracket so iam not going to welcome you, I will however say play what you like at what level you like and have fun.
Going past 70 for certain classes is very advantageous, especially due the nifflevar axe and certain skills that classes get such as cyclone for druid etc. Niff rogues and frost dks don't need that much resil at all and can destroy people with their dmg and burst. Add in the extra stealth AND stealth detection, anyone who wanted to dominate would roll a 71 or at least 72 rogue for the eng goggles as well. Enh, prot pal, prot war, fury war? also would benefit. The stat decay from going to 71 or 72 for these classes is very minimal when you consider the huge advantages they do gain.

People, esp the 70 purists who believe go 70 or go home will always be sore about players who roll certain classes or play above 70. Many may state reasons such as stat decay and arena but it usually really comes down to spite and dislike. Basically, if you want the edge in PvP (mainly bgs unless you create an arena team at 70), roll 71-72 depending on your class and seek out all advantages. This is called twinking to maximise PvP potential. If you feel like being 70 makes you proud and more legit and so on, then stick to that level and work with what you have; don't however, be sore over people who choose to max their toon out by taking an extra 1-2 levels so they can get niff axes etc.

The same goes for the 20-24 and 60-64 bracket. The amount of crying in the 60 threads these days about 64's !@#$ting on them is hilarious. Ofc, there will be bad players at 64 or 71+ but calling them bad players or crutching purely based on their gear is stupid. You will always have goods and bads at any level. Imo, they simply brought out the full potential of their toon but many will disagree with this statement because of their perspective of how being oldschool makes you cool. In the end, each to his own and hope you have a fun time playing :3
I appreciate that. Thanks for the information Waterford and everyone else. It was most helpful.
The only classes/specs I've seen lately going to 74 are enhancement shamans
Which enhacement have you seen at 74? The most an enhacement should ever go is 72. imo 71 is optimal, but that's debatable.
DK
rogue
enhance sham

Pally ret/prot (wings one shot)

? never see any

Hunter
Feral Druid

I've seen some 73 paladins, 72 prot wars, and 74 boomkin is popular due to Cyclone (which is going away in MoP)
04/16/2012 10:23 AMPosted by Totemez
Which enhacement have you seen at 74?

Only one and he was trash.
70s either have dignity, don't need to crutch on wings/niffs/imp cs/ etc... most classes simply don't NEED to level. You do see a lot of 71 niff dk/enh, almost every hunter is 74 because they are all terrible at the class and don't sim gear or x-craft their gear.

You do lose quite a bit of stats, even if you gain access to 226 weapons and ilvl 200 goggles. However you gain another 2 talents and you are very hard for casters / brutal geared folks to hit.

Then you get 2 shot by anyone who knows how to play their class anyway.

- Rogues are incredibly hard to master as 90% of the player base is actually garbage or bought their glaives accounts. You can just tunnel like a moron spamming hemo if you have glaives, but if you are starting out it can be really hard to get kills.
- Frost mages are a skill class. Deep something and kill it.
- Prot pallies can crit for like 10k shields and 4k exos or something ridiculous, but they are soooo boring.

Pick whatever you feel like, it's a high burst bracket like anything that isn't 85 in 5000 resil.

There are several cute sunwell patterns that require a bit of luck to find a crafter, and like 40 primal air. Aside from that it's mostly RNG trash loot (rogue thrown weapon, for example) or sunwell gear.

SSO revered is needed for the pve head enchant, hyjal exalted ring is bis.

Engi is good IF you can afford it. You can get 1 tinker from 440-450, and you can learn the same one multiple times, so you'll most likely be rolling engi a lot for springs or tazik. Gnomes can learn 3 however.
Alchemy offers a 40 stat arena-usable flask and I believe still offers the endless healing potion for arena.
Tailoring offers Swordgaurd / Lightweave R1 which are solid choices.
BSing offers 40 extra resil instead of the 40 str/int/agi like alchemy.
Inscription offers wrath shoulder encants.
Enchanting is really only good for the 30 stam ring enchants, IMO. Not really necessary.

For rogues armory to copy build/spec - I can help you with anything and I am available out of game as well.
btw

I am a bit more condescending than most but if you want to roll a rogue I can talk your head off about mechanics and theorycraft for hours. ^_^

Sway / Disappear @ arthas
Waves @ haomarush - if you need to contact me.
04/16/2012 08:17 AMPosted by Lepewpew
I think the crutch is the perks certain classes get for jumping above 70... Weapon choices, spells, ability to detect, chance to miss and so on. And no a crutch doesn't cripple you, but, it does help one that can't walk.... well walk.

The only classes/specs I've seen lately going to 74 are enhancement shamans,Frost dk's, and sometimes rogues for the niff's and of course pallys for wings.

We get wings at lvl 72. But you're right, that is a reason to level beyond 70.
Does that "crutch" really cripple you, though? For instance, is that ~25% bonus to secondary stats greater than the higher miss chances, stealth chance/detection, bonus to attributes and health, and access to new skills (which I guess doesn't matter in many cases due to a general lack of new skills between 70 and 75, particularly for Rogues)?

What I mean is, if you two equally geared and competent rogues meet each other on the field, and one is level 70 whilst the other is 74, does the 70 really have the advantage?

74s incur a 33% loss to secondary stats, and gain 25% for their base abilities and spells. As a healer, I like the stronger healing -- I can cover more targets on a battleground. Conversely, I'm squishier than most healers. Even with the extra miss, a rogue has an easier time burning me down than if I went 70.

If there were a significant amount of better gear above 70, you'd see a lot more players going above 70. But the 70 gear is so good, northrend gear rarely exceeds it. Even the engineering helms aren't all that much better than the brutal or sunwell helms.

Even with the extra abilities, it's more of a "glass cannon" playstyle choice for some classes/specs. There's a greater difference between some classes/specs than there is a difference between 70 and 74s.