Heroic Warmaster Blackhorn DPS

Hunter
my raid has been doing heroic progression on Warmaster, and I'm looking to really buff up my dps. my dps stabilises at close to 22k which is quite !@#$ty according to my raid leader. so here's a quick recap on what I do:

on the pull I'm on the roof waiting for 1 drake to fly past. I mark before it's within shooting range. once in range, ss>ES>BA>CS>CS after I drop down, mark a melee add, ES>ss>as>as/CS depending on my current focus. I focus down melee adds while waiting for the right side drake to get harpooned within range. in still working out the timing but I try to save up some focus for when the drake gets reeled in, so I can do the usual opening of mark>ES>ss and so on.

I'm still getting used to switching stance so I can CS on the move when spreading out right after soaking an onslaught.

sometimes I experience a sec or 2 of down time when switching between drakes, to run over within range while avoiding deck fires. I also try to save some time by disengaging to onslaught. sometimes when soaking onslaught I'm not in range of any drakes, or I'm in range of 1 side but it's already down and can't reach the other, is this normal down time that can't be helped?

I also don't mark goblins cux I figured I waste a gcd and they go down fast anyway. I try to put SS on new drakes when they drop of elites or sappers but sometimes I'm jus not quick enough to target em before they fly away.

I pot and rapid fire for the 2nd set of drakes to reduce barrages (we don't soak them).

I know it shudnt be the case but I put call of the wild on autocast cuz I'm lazy (I bring a ravager for this fight cuz we have all the other buffs from dk Druid lock war sub rogue ele shaman).

my pet attack is macro-ed to all my spells. synapse springs is macro-ed to my ss and Manually click it when I proc LnL and/or Kiril and/or flintlocke's. at least I try to =X

any thoughts on how I can improve?
Why don't you use black arrow? That should be one of your main abilities.
You have better gear than me and I pull 30k easily. The minor things are food buffs and exlixirs. But, make sure you are getting as many explosive shots off as you can, this is our main source of dps, just make sure you get as many of these as you can. If you miss an ES and I get 2 to your one, Im going to have significantly higher dps. I haven't looked at your gear yet so I can't say anything about that. then again Im no expert either.
Ah I see the problem. Your hit is not capped. You have 6.5% hit rating. You need 8%. Reforge some mastery or crit or whatever to Hit. You will see an increase in DPS.
Also, get rid of your +Haste to gloves enchant. Use +20Ag or +65 Mastery instead.
in between exposive arrow cd you should be able to get three cobra shots off. then again though I have to much haste at the moment, well according to all these things I see about shot proirity and what not.
Sometimes pets won't actually attack the drakes because they "can't reach," which can cause a dip in your DPS.

Definitely get hit capped. Missing just one shot can be a big DPS loss.

We actually don't stand on the top of the ship, we can reach a drake just fine on one of the sides as the fight starts. I can manage to get a Serpent, BA, and Explosive on him. I start the fight in Fox so I can also fit a Cobra in before it gets out of range. You can also DoT up the drakes as they bring in new adds.

I'd suggest saving your potion for Blackhorn instead, or Garonia (whichever you Bloodlust for) because you'll likely get the full benefit out of it.

We have myself, a shadow priest, an elemental shaman, and a boomkin for ranged, so the drakes tend to die the first time they get harpooned (except the last one....the jerk).

I have my pet on defensive most of the time. I don't know what causes it, but after a few seconds my pet will charge after a melee add if it's standing beside me. Whether it's a bug or not, it keeps me from having to tell it to attack melee every time, or crying as it sits there out of range of the drakes.

I tend to pull around 23-26k on that fight, and there are probably things I can do to improve it more (my LFR helm and crappy haste trinket are my biggest gimps right now). We just downed him our first time on Sunday, so stick with it. You'll get it eventually :)
For pets not attacking the Drakes, its just a error in the pathing. All one has to do to fix it is recall your pet right fast and then send them back out. I use Master's Call and that usually fixes it.
ooh thanks pointing out my hit. I swapped from lfr tier 13 pants to h fl pants thinking they were better and reformed to that. then I realised they were !@#$ and switched back to the lfr pants but forgot to reforge.

ok will definitely try harder to get ES out ASAP,
I do use BA once off cd but I can't use it on the first melee add cuz I jus fired it on the drake as it flies past on the pull
Put your pet on passive, manually send him to the Dreadblade, while throwing BA's on the Slayer to fish for LNL's for the drakes, you should not need your pet's DPS to kill a drake. The reason I say Slayer is because the Dreadblade is the #1 priority after Sappers and drakes, meaning he dies first, therefore you have the potential to lose a few ticks of BA.
the only thing you really need to worry about pulling high numbers on are the drakes, standard rotation should give you more than enough damage to meet that bar, unless you're running 2rdps in a 10man guild, in which case you'd have to hammer your rotation perfectly and get lucky of LnL, also, we can't clip 2 back to back now.
hm I wasn't aware that we can't dot clip. u sure about this? I only worry that due to the latency shot queuing the game will jus shoot off ES without pause when I'm spamming it on keyboard
04/16/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Rabak
sometimes I experience a sec or 2 of down time when switching between drakes, to run over within range while avoiding deck fires. I also try to save some time by disengaging to onslaught. sometimes when soaking onslaught I'm not in range of any drakes, or I'm in range of 1 side but it's already down and can't reach the other, is this normal down time that can't be helped?

Honestly.....I would really love to know more about this out of range issue you are getting with the drakes, a lock buddy of mine told me he was having ranged issues which is why his DPS is pretty low(down time) on this fight and I have honestly, never had problems reaching my drakes no matter where onslaught is. To solve that problem I think you need to figure out how big the aoe of onslaught is and where you should be standing. Also you should tell your raid leader he should be chewing out the rogue.....why would the rogue be anything other than Combat for Blackhorn if the fight isn't on farm.....?
04/16/2012 09:59 PMPosted by Arrowned
You have better gear than me and I pull 30k easily.

I call bull.
oh look its this thread again.

OP: hunters are generally low on this fight, target switching, pet glitches, frequent movement, all add up to pretty sh!tty dps for us.

What's happening in your situation is also fairly common during progression: group wipes a bunch on the same boss, leader gets frustrated, looks for weak links.

At your ilvl I think your dps is on par, and you can improve it with minor changes like fixing your hit.

I'm no expert, but I know a bit about my class, and I feel a few people in this thread boasting about their lower ilvl and higher dps when compared to you are not being sincere and/or accurate.
Heres our log from first H blackhorn kill and I pulled over 30k.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/4vv0sr1cdiswknp5/sum/damageDone/?s=4879&e=5308

Also, not trying to be an !@# or anything but are you getting carried through these heroics or what?

You averaged 22k on Phase 1 of the fight. If his guild is struggling with progression, they likely aren't getting that far into phase 2, which is where hunter DPS excels and averages out higher.

Edit, make that 19k. I selected a bit of the time range where you were on the Dragon the first time.
04/17/2012 05:52 AMPosted by Aertea
I call bull.
Second.