Lol it's so funny you tanked the glyph market

Professions
...again

Dear anonymous glyph market competitor. It so funny how you tanked the glyph market again! I thought it was funny last week too. And two weeks ago, and 4 weeks ago, and the 3 times you did it in the month of February. It was funny all of those times.

I love...LOVE...posting 200 glyphs and making 200g. That's like a gold a post! that's a 99 silver profit. Yes, nevermind the fact that a night of progression can cost me 500g. Nevermind the fact that I support my other 4 toons with glyphs. Silly me...I should just know that it doesn't matter how cheap you sell them since you are able to make so many more glyphs than me. I wish I knew how you are able to make and post 10 of every glyph in the game. You must spend 8 hours a day herbing. I mean, I know you must be doing the herbing yourself, otherwise how would you be able to afford such low pricing. And the amount of time that it takes to mill all those herbs.

--------------------------------------------------
Dear Blizzard,
Please do something about the bots. ---------------------------------------------------
Anonymous Glyph Market Competition...you clearly need a simple lesson in economy.
Supply and demand.
Only create as much product as people have a need for. Price product according to demand and profit. So maybe pricing your glyphs for less than it costs to make them is unwise. And maybe flooding the market is unwise. People will pay much more, so you're only hurting yourself by grossly undercharging for your goods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_market
while he may or may not be able to drive you personally out of the market....if he doesnt these tactics do nothing but help you because they absolutely do run people out.

10 of each glyph is no big deal, i stocked 15 of every glyph, if they stacked to more than 20 i probably would have stocked more than that. Buying all my materials and counting inferno ink as 0g(which it isnt) each glyph costs around 10g to make.

while i only felt the need to resort to tanking the market a couple of times in my 2 or so years glyphing, it ABSOLUTELY can be a good way to INCREASE profits. It has the invaluable effect of driving out competitors, not all, but a lot, specifically the more casual ones which are the ones that mess up prices on a daily basis because they dont understand that really the only factor in weather or not your glyph sells is if you were the last person to undercut when someone buys a glyph. Now, with these competitors out of the market you get 2 things. One, higher prices. Two, less need relist your glyphs. With less competitors you not only get higher prices but you get undercut less which results in more sales.

in closing....if you are going to get butt hurt about someone trying to beat you in a market then glyphing probably isnt for you.
also on the bot topic...bots really have a pretty minimal effect on the glyph market in my experience. Their existence certainly increases profits but the prices are more affected by the time required to relist auctions and the rarity of patterns.

When the mats cost 10g and the product sells for 100g+ doubling or tripling your cost doesn't really change what you do, you just make a little less gold.
I fully understand the glyph market, and have been working it for 2 years.

I fully understand the point of tanking the market.

I have no idea why you would tank it over and over again. Tanking it drives out the casuals. It drives out the people who don't need gold very much at the time. But doing it over and over is going to cut YOUR profits.

If it costs you 10g to make a glyph, you're dealing with a very different price inflation than we are on my server. I figure it costs me 20 - 25g to make a glyph right now. Said tanker keeps dropping the price to 30g (which is then undercut to even less).
I have no idea why you would tank it over and over again. Tanking it drives out the casuals. It drives out the people who don't need gold very much at the time. But doing it over and over is going to cut YOUR profits.

Perhaps he trying to drive you out of the market.

Or he has so much gold he doesn't really care.

Or he just leveled inscription and is just trying to empty his bags...he profitted from the skill-ups.
so if your server really is elderthalas alliance.

and i was on your server id buy stormvine for 48.4g a stack. call it 50g for easy math sake.(in reality id never pay market price either.

so 50g stack of herb.
2.5 pigments per mill x 4 = 10
10 divided by 2 pigments per ink = 5ink per stack
3 ink per glyph = 1.66 glyphs per stack of herbs
50g / 1.66 = 30.12g per glyph

so assuming you do nothing with the inferno ink thats 30g per glyph. Its been a while since i glyphed so i donno if darkmoon decks are still selling, id imagin you can still do ok with them.

so admittedly much higher mat costs on your server than i delt with since the beggining of cata.

realistically though, i see theres just no whiptail on the AH right now but the average prices is 38g, call it 40.

so 40g a stack
3pigments, 4 mills = 12 pigments = 6 ink = 2 glyphs
or 20g per glyph
but again this is assuming you do nothing with the inferno ink.but really cost and profit do nothing to change my point. If his goal is to run out bigger competitors then if he succeeds then its probably worth crashing the market dozens of times.

my guess is hes beating your price for 2 main reasons. hes sourcing his materials cheaper(it wasnt uncommon for me to pay between 50-75% of market price) and hes more efficiently using his inferno ink.
Just keep at it. Eventually he'll get tired of it. It might take until the Pandas come, though.

hes sourcing his materials cheaper(it wasnt uncommon for me to pay between 50-75% of market price) and hes more efficiently using his inferno ink.

If I could get herbs at 50% market, I'd be tempted to just sell the herbs.... Much faster, much less work....

No matter how cheap you get the herbs, it wouldn't be better to sell the glyphs for less than the cost of the herbs required to make them. You'd make more money just selling the herbs....
I'm not sure why you are only making 200g on 200 auctions.

If he is tanking the market, it is probably not a good time to be selling. Hold onto your stock, and certainly do not keep making glyphs. Just back off and see what happens. Continuing to undercut his already cheap glyphs is only making matters worse, especially when you are not comfortable with the amount of gold you are making.

Sometimes the market will appear to be tanked when someone is just trying to get rid of their glyphs. The night before I moved off of my old server, I put my remaining glyphs on the AH for 1 gold each just to get rid of them quickly. The market recovered fine after I left (well, as much as the market on a low pop Alliance realm ever could ever hope to). Maybe he was initially trying to get rid of his inventory, but you kept undercutting him and made it harder for him to do that. Again, just back off for a bit and see what happens.

Glyphs are not a "set it and forget it" type of item (Gems are, especially during peak times), unless you know you have little/no competition. I can make thousands of gold a day by keeping 1 of each glyph stocked and logging in periodically throughout the day to relist any undercut auctions. I always log onto another character first to see if any of my competitors are online. If they are, I wait until they go offline.

If you think you are dealing with a bot, report them and Blizzard will figure it out.

Also, I used my inferno ink to make etched horns, then dissenchanted them. Maybe not the most profitable, but I didn't have to deal with the RNG of darkmoon cards.
04/20/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Lometos
I'm not sure why you are only making 200g on 200 auctions.

It's because he's not selling many of those auctions, and not turning a good profit on any.

If he is tanking the market, it is probably not a good time to be selling. Hold onto your stock, and certainly do not keep making glyphs. Just back off and see what happens.

Naw, this the opposite of good advice.

Someone is tanking the market on purpose with the plan of getting him to quit competing with him. You're advising that he give the tanker what he wants. This only encourages him.

The thing to do is to just keep competing as long as there's a profit to be made. (I.e., don't sell at a loss.) Eventually, the tanker will get the message that he's not going away, and will stop trying to tank the market so much, as he's hurting himself by doing so.
If I could get herbs at 50% market, I'd be tempted to just sell the herbs.... Much faster, much less work....

No matter how cheap you get the herbs, it wouldn't be better to sell the glyphs for less than the cost of the herbs required to make them. You'd make more money just selling the herbs....

i would never sell the herbs, i glyphed because i enjoyed it. and there is really never a time when i would sell herbs, since i was always buying, every day.

opportunity cost is all well and good(ive made probably hundreds of attempts on these very forums to get its concept through to various people) BUT losing 100g and not making 100g arnt the same thing. and really it doesn't matter in this case anyway since you would be risking potential profit(opportunity cost) for a gold gain since there are HUGE gains for successfully driving someone out.

Especially for someone not insanely rich, using the savings to continue to profit while tanking prices to drive out competitors is a lot less risky than actually operating at an actual loss.
04/20/2012 02:09 PMPosted by Lometos
Also, I used my inferno ink to make etched horns, then dissenchanted them. Maybe not the most profitable, but I didn't have to deal with the RNG of darkmoon cards.

That's an awesome idea, thank you for mentioning it. My scribe has been making glyphs for a while now, and had tons of Darkmoon cards that didn't sell. About a dozen completed decks, and after those didn't sell for two weeks (before and during the Faire) I turned them in right before the Faire ended. Then haven't been able to sell the trinkets.

So inferno ink has been slowly building up in the bank -- and even if it's not hugely profitable, it's better than just taking up space.
you welcome! in your market tanking the price!!!
It was frustrating the first time that someone pushed all of the glyphs down to 20g just to run me out, but I just waited a few days and he reset them to 350 each. I'm also in the gem market, enchant market, crafted pvp gear market, potions/elixers and volatiles market, so I let him have his little fun for a few days making no money.
For all that people claim is "illegal" in this game, very few of them appear to have familiarized themselves with the actual Terms of Service and End User License Agreement.

If this guy is tanking the market, that's actually against the rules of the game. Report him, explaining how he's manipulating the market, and then post while he's temp-banned. Easy money.

Rakka makes a good point. This is an mmo. It will go on for many years. You have the benefit of being here for a long time. Play the long game, don't worry about the short game. You'll do better in the future when this tosser realizes he could be making a lot more money or gets tired of toying with the market, or when he gets a warning from a GM, as happened on my server.
Oh look, a dead horse. Let's beat it!
04/20/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Kathucka
Naw, this the opposite of good advice.

I said hold off, not quit completely. It is better to let the seller think you are quitting, then surprise them when they are feeling secure with their grip on the market. I have did it before, with nice results. If the tanker really is just trying to get rid of their stock quickly, backing off temporarily lets them get out of the market quicker. I never said give in and quit, so don't mistake my words for meaning that.

Backing off for a bit will also let the market readjust, since the seller will realize he could be making more now that he has less competition to worry about. Then the OP can reenter the market. This is assuming that the OP is not totally desperate to make gold, even at a very narrow profit margin, as they discussed earlier. If I wanted to continue to make gold by selling glyphs, but the market was tanked, I would rather back off for awhile and hope for higher prices, than sell just to sell.

That's an awesome idea, thank you for mentioning it. My scribe has been making glyphs for a while now, and had tons of Darkmoon cards that didn't sell. About a dozen completed decks, and after those didn't sell for two weeks (before and during the Faire) I turned them in right before the Faire ended. Then haven't been able to sell the trinkets.

So inferno ink has been slowly building up in the bank -- and even if it's not hugely profitable, it's better than just taking up space.

I had over a guild tab full of Fiery Pigment before I actually went on WoWhead and found about etched horns.
Also, if it only costs 10g to replenish a half stack of glyphs, I think it's probably better to buy a few stacks of his cheap glyphs to repost at higher prices when he's offline than anything else.
You're welcome, I always enjoy cutting into the profit of others, especially since my profits are spread out across a large array of different markets and I don't pigeon hole myself into a single market.
I have all professions covered.

and i truly love to see the free market gougers whine when they get undercut.

too funny.