prototype 2 ending (spoilers)

Games, Gaming and Hardware
did it dissapoint anyone else that alex died?????? he was my fav game character of all time....ALL TIME!plus heller pretty much betrayed alex...should be called the power of betrayal he gave him great powers and then bam he betrays him because he started an outbreak...was he the zombie that killed hellers wife? i don't think so. also blackwatch was about to release it anyway you dont develop a weaponized virus just to stare at it...
no one else was disapointed?
I haven't even gotten to play it (Although I'm fine with being spoiled about it). If it's what you said then how can you say it's the same Alex from the first game? Remember he was a replication of the original virus.

But, again, haven't played it, so there may as well be official confirmation of this.

Plus the original Mercer was rather heartless, so it may very well carry over.
the ending was soooooooooooooo aawsome. sure alex mercer was the coolest video game character but the ending was one of the best video game endings i have seen =D =D =D
I'm not entirely buying it, notice the achievment you get when you killed him ended with a question mark?

With how strong it seems Alex is, and how cunning he's become, it wouldn't surprise me if he just went dormant to leech off of heller's power.
MASSIVE SPOILER
Mercer wanted to wipe out humanity and replace it with the 'evolved' where they would share one unified infected mind. In addition Mercer was ruthless as he; he intentionally reinfected New York for the second time, he used Black watch to experiment on humans/ civilians, he stole Heller's daughter and sought to use her as a vessel for reproducing more evolved due to the resilient DNA found in the Heller family to manipulating the virus...Even in life he was a psychopathic scientist whom was thrilled by weaponizing a virus and he was one of the head researchers for Gentek.
In prototype 1 his actions were driven by revenge as he thought he was a victim of Blackwatch, but after murdering countless civilians, Gentek scientists, military and Blackwatch members he came to the realization that it was his selfish actions which were responsible for the first outbreak, not black watch (to an extent). Ultimately Mercer got corrupted by his 'God like' powers of 'om nom noming' people (kinda like how absolute power corrupted Azshara) and he began to view humans as a lesser 'squishy' species to himself. Kinda like how everyone views gnomes.
Unlike Mercer, Heller retained his humanity from the start of his infection as seen by his fatherly desire to avenge/ later find and protect his daughter whom he still loves. So I'm slightly not sure how you see Mercer as the victim of prototype 2 but I hope this helps your understanding of the reasons behind Mercers death.
I agree with the above poster. Alex was always the bad guy. I understand how people are sympathetic toward him but really it's because of his own selfish actions that he caused the virus to spread. He created the thing. He was the cause of the first and second outbreaks. Then Heller stopped him. I hope in the third game Blackwatch drops Pariah in the middle of NYZ to see what he can do.
04/25/2012 09:02 PMPosted by Sudath
In prototype 1 his actions were driven by revenge as he thought he was a victim of Blackwatch, but after murdering countless civilians, Gentek scientists, military and Blackwatch members he came to the realization that it was his selfish actions which were responsible for the first outbreak, not black watch (to an extent). Ultimately Mercer got corrupted by his 'God like' powers of 'om nom noming' people (kinda like how absolute power corrupted Azshara) and he began to view humans as a lesser 'squishy' species to himself. Kinda like how everyone views gnomes.

That wasn't the real Mercer, though, that was the manifestation of the virus who came to hate even the real Mercer for what he did.

Unless I missed something from not playing the second game?

Edit: And I posted on a different toon from my Mage, nuts to me.
GUYS OMG i just beat it on insane difficulty. omg the mercer fight took forever.
the moment i ripped mercers arms off were probobly the best moments of my life and i will be proud forever =D =D =D =D
MASSIVE SPOILER
Mercer wanted to wipe out humanity and replace it with the 'evolved' where they would share one unified infected mind. In addition Mercer was ruthless as he; he intentionally reinfected New York for the second time, he used Black watch to experiment on humans/ civilians, he stole Heller's daughter and sought to use her as a vessel for reproducing more evolved due to the resilient DNA found in the Heller family to manipulating the virus...Even in life he was a psychopathic scientist whom was thrilled by weaponizing a virus and he was one of the head researchers for Gentek.
Unlike Mercer, Heller retained his humanity from the start of his infection as seen by his fatherly desire to avenge/ later find and protect his daughter whom he still loves. So I'm slightly not sure how you see Mercer as the victim of prototype 2 but I hope this helps your understanding of the reasons behind Mercers death.

Actualy he wanted to make the perfect world heller was just getting in his way his idea of a perfect world is a interesting world where the infected rule no wars and humans are stronger and he has actualy said this in the game also the first outbreak was in hope idaho not new york zero aka nyz plus alex was just way more badass than heller people also say heller was the good guy...he wasn't he even said so him self he just wanted revenge even though alex wasn't even the direct cause of his wifes death..heller just looked like a huge douche to me for the whole game even his attitude to the people that were helping him was bad plus heres something you don't know alex is still alive! in the first game at the ending he says he is the virus james used the virus to defeat infected and still uses it after alex is killed if alex was truly dead the virus would be too even if he would have killed all the infected heller has it alex can takeover his body at any time the only way would be for heller to kill himself wich we all know he won't do. Good luck reading the wall of text
Also alex said he was immortal and that james is too but he doesn't know it
i just got all the achievements i love the game and think the ending was awsome... just wish there was more radnet content and dlcs that gives missions because i want more prototype!
04/27/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Lorwell
That wasn't the real Mercer, though, that was the manifestation of the virus who came to hate even the real Mercer for what he did.

04/28/2012 11:24 PMPosted by Killzue
Actualy he wanted to make the perfect world heller was just getting in his way his idea of a perfect world is a interesting world where the infected rule no wars and humans are stronger and he has actualy said this in the game also the first outbreak was in hope idaho not new york zero aka nyz plus alex was just way more badass than heller people also say heller was the good guy...he wasn't he even said so him self he just wanted revenge even though alex wasn't even the direct cause of his wifes death..heller just looked like a huge douche to me for the whole game even his attitude to the people that were helping him was bad plus heres something you don't know alex is still alive! in the first game at the ending he says he is the virus james used the virus to defeat infected and still uses it after alex is killed if alex was truly dead the virus would be too even if he would have killed all the infected heller has it alex can takeover his body at any time the only way would be for heller to kill himself wich we all know he won't do. Good luck reading the wall of text

Yep that wasn't the 'actual' Mercer, it was a virus with Mercers memories, didn't think it was relevant to point out because that was all revealed in prototype 1 and yes the 1st out break was in Hope Idaho and Mercer was responsible for the 2nd and 3rd outbreak in New York.

To him it is the perfect world and maybe you would see it as a perfect world to. But the means to creating something perfect are tainted by Mercers actions. The old argument of can good be created through evil? Is it ethical to infect and kill millions just to create a world where one man can control them all. It reminds me of the Gravemind from Halo or all those Alien parasite movies e.g the invasion. Though the intentions may have seemed right to some, could you really justify them if innocent people had to die to make way for the 'new world'. When someone takes a life or possesses you, they violate another persons desire which is considered the ultimate evil, as for all you know they could have actually enjoyed living or having the freedom to live their life the way they lived it.
James Heller wasn't a hero but he was a victim of what Mercer had done. With the information he was given in connection with the humanity he retained from the loss of his family, he saw black watch and gentek as the villains due to their disturbing and ruthless actions on the innocent. Thus he had to become a monster himself to save those who couldn't defend themselves against men with weapons. His attitude to the people helping him was understandable at best, he knew he could trust Father G and Dana because they showed real concern for the people and both desired to stop black watch and gentek and eventually Mercer.
Anton treats Heller as an experiment, sending him to places to test his strengths and find out his weaknesses in order to kill him. I think the reason for this is Anton's jealousy of Heller being Mercers chosen but that's speculation on my half. Thus by the time Heller meets Galloway, he is pissed of with people betraying him e.g Anton and Mercer and as a result he has developed a massive dislike and distrust of the evolved, thus Heller is rude and abusive to Galloway. Galloway was a femme fatale who cared for her own safety and showed little care for the wellbeing of Heller's daughter or the people of New York. She even at one point tried to seduce Heller into leaving the city and his daughter behind in order for them to make their own world somewhere else.
I've already spoken of Mercer. If you've read the prototype 2 comics you would know that after prototype 1 he traveled parts of the world wondering what he had become as a result of the virus. Was he the hero of humanity or was he designed to wipe humanity out? After freeing a town from a warlord, stopping a drug lord and freeing another town, Mercer watches the civilians celebrate. He comes to a realization that none of them care for each other but only care for themselves. He decides that the human desire of individual freedom and maintaining the well being of ones life was selfish and corrupting.When mercer seeks to live as a human in the north, he rents a cabin from a man who has a daughter, after a series of events the man is revealed to be corrupt and Mercer kills him. Seeking to save the girl who he has fallen for he is again betrayed when she is revealed to have stolen his money and sequentially shooting him in the face after stating that she has learnt from her father to care more about herself than anybody else. Mercer heartbroken consumes her and decides humanity is worthless and starts a personal crusade against them.
Interestingly enough all of Mercers evolved are selfish beings who care about no one but themselves. So what do you think that implies about Mercer? Did he have ulterior plans for consuming the evolved once they had lost their usefulness and controlling the infected as his own? Did he become so lost in his crusade that he lost sight of what he was creating and thus created monsters worse than humans instead of unselfish beings?

Finally Mercer could still be alive or he may actually be dead. Who knows really? Elizabeth Greene and the supreme hunter were consumed and as a result they are considered as deceased after consumption. In my opinion Alex Mercer has been completely consumed by James Heller. I base this of what I've observed from prototype 1 and 2. Yes, the kill your maker achieve has a question mark but that could also be there so as to prevent fans from reading the last achieve and spoiling it for themselves by creating a sense of doubt and speculation.
Well we all have our own opinions =) We'l find out in prototype 3 ;)