Griefing on Morchok - a potential solution

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
Could we get the mobs on either side of Morchok removed in LFR? I have been in too many runs where some jerk decides to deliberately wipe the raid by pulling one or more groups of adds during the fight.

I know that stopping griefers is impossible, but this would at least remove one very easy way for them to ruin other people's fun.
You can pull them before engaging Morchok.

especially if it happens.

The trash surrounding a boss is considered part of the programming for the encounters, It's not unlike when someone pulls yorsahj with slime packs up, except there's the option to skip the side packs if your raid can handle not moving out too far.
you know the problem with killing the side packs is people just pull the boss to grief instead.
04/22/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Flåm
you know the problem with killing the side packs is people just pull the boss to grief instead.

So, the only way to remove griefing is to make it so that nobody can cause a wipe ever.
04/22/2012 06:22 PMPosted by Asane

So, the only way to remove griefing is to make it so that nobody can cause a wipe ever.

No, the side trash is just eye-candy, it serves no purpose in LFR/Normal/Heroic.

It should be treated as such (un-engageable etc)

As far as other trash goes, that needs to be cleared, we can't fix that, Morchock we can though.
Kick?

No, the side trash is just eye-candy, it serves no purpose in LFR/Normal/Heroic.

As far as other trash goes, that needs to be cleared, we can't fix that, Morchock we can though.

No trash "serves" a purpose by this definition, especially in LFR since it has no real loot table.
04/22/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Kaatia

You generally clear the side trash for heroic morchok to get more room. Just because something seems pointless on lfr doesn't mean it isn't relevant for other difficulties or achieves.
Heroic mode is by definition aimed at the top 5% or so of players, whereas LFR is aimed at probably the top 60% or so players, so no most LFR players will never do heroic modes while they are current, and that is the way its supposed to be.

But I accidentally pulled those mobs myself, once, the first couple of weeks. Concentrating on moving out of the black stuff I moved back a bit too far. Seen it happen a couple other times too. I'm sure it was just an accident.
04/22/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Kaatia
we can't fix that, Morchock we can though.

See, here in lies the problem. The encounter itself is not broken, thus does not require "fixing". The problem is the LFR idiots. You don't see people in normal or heroic doing it, after all.

So, end of the day... Morchock falls into the same list as such things as life grip, army of the dead, misdirection, ect ect. Good ideas in bad hands, like a monkey with a hammer. And just like the monkey with the hammer, trying to "fix it" will only lead to someone being hurt. Leaving it alone is the lesser of two evils.
04/23/2012 01:00 AMPosted by Vear
we can't fix that, Morchock we can though.

See, here in lies the problem. The encounter itself is not broken, thus does not require "fixing". The problem is the LFR idiots. You don't see people in normal or heroic doing it, after all.

I agree, the encounter is not broken, it's just poorly designed for LFR. The sad truth is that LFR's anonymity is a breeding ground for bad behavior and it only takes a couple of idiots to screw a bunch of other people up. A well-designed encounter for LFR would make it difficult for those idiots to succeed. Morchok makes it easy for them.

Normal and Heroic are fine, the encounter works for them. In LFR it's another world, and the design of the encounter should be adjusted accordingly.
04/23/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Kalenn
A well-designed encounter for LFR would make it difficult for those idiots to succeed.

I would argue a poorly designed fight would make it so 2 people couldn't influence an encounter.
The problem is that it can be pretty difficult to figure out who pulled the trash.

The solution is to make a built-in ready check before starting any boss encounter.

Until a majority of the raid vote to start the fight, the boss will be unattackable, and won't attack.

If someone insists on pulling the trash during the fight, you'll clear the trash before the next attempt, and won't vote to start until it's gone. Someone would still pull the far-away trash, but it would at least be obvious who did it and you could kick him.

This would be an even more straightforward help to the later encounters, where people chain-pull bosses to avoid being kicked or people pull when the raid is partially full (in order to grief).
You'll almost always have one way or another to grief in LFD or LFR. Many sociopaths and 12 year olds need their fun somehow. I see Priests grief people on Hagara using Leap of Faith and I know people will do the same thing with Void Shift.
04/22/2012 09:19 PMPosted by Theoridis
You generally clear the side trash for heroic morchok to get more room.

Or you can just kill them on the road and stay on the road
04/23/2012 06:31 PMPosted by Lusignan
You generally clear the side trash for heroic morchok to get more room.

Or you can just kill them on the road and stay on the road

Yes you can do that but, he said generally, and since most groups do in fact clear the trash on hm and pull them to the sides, your rebuttal makes 0 sense.
04/22/2012 11:47 PMPosted by Murdina
Heroic mode is by definition aimed at the top 5% or so of players, whereas LFR is aimed at probably the top 60%

i dont know how you puled that number out of your !@# because lfr is for anyone who can do a few hots whcih are easier than the 4.0 heroics and heroic mode DW has been killed by alot more than 5% of the wow population let alone the others
04/23/2012 04:20 PMPosted by Kathucka
The solution is to make a built-in ready check before starting any boss encounter.

How many steps until we get babysitters hired from Blizzard to go to every WoW player's home and hold their hand as they play WoW.
04/24/2012 04:51 AMPosted by Asane

How many steps until we get babysitters hired from Blizzard to go to every WoW player's home and hold their hand as they play WoW.

Slippery slope argument does not work in almost any scenario. You are over exaggerating the his idea. I personally see some merit in his idea, since there is no reason to ever attack that trash in lfr, it wouldn't affect anyone in game if they removed the lfr trash. Nothing else would be affected, so I do not see what the big deal is.