Tier 14 Set Bonuses

Shaman
Post Limit:
04/25/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Vvoodo
ENHANCE•2P Bonus - New: Increases the damage done by your Lava Lash ability by 15%.•4P Bonus - New: Increases the critical strike chance bonus from your Stormstrike ability by an additional 15%
are those two bonuses good for enh? mainly asking about the 15% more crit from storm strike

EDIT: I know the FL set gave LL 25% more dmg so I'm sure the LL increase isnt as powerful as the FL 2pce

The firelands 2p is ~10.4% extra lava lash damage because of the way the searing flames multiplier is applied. The T14 set bonus should apply to the whole equation, which makes it a larger relative bonus; however, lava lash doesn't hit as hard on the beta as it does on live, so they may end up being about the same in terms of % dps improvement.

The most direct comparison for the T14 4p bonus is the current (live) stormstrike glyph. On my character, EnhSim pegs the glyph at 443.4 dps. The T14 bonus is 15% extra crit chance instead of 10% (x1.5 = 665.1 dps). We have 200% spell crits on beta instead of 150% crits (x1.3333 = 886.9 dps). We also have talented abilities that might increase the relative dps contribution of lightning bolt / earth shock (echo of the elements) and/or lightning shield (unleashed fury) compared to live, but we've also seen nerfs (mastery is 2.0% elemental damage per point instead of 2.5%), so it's unknown if the changes will be a net gain or loss to those abilities. Ignoring the unknowns for the time being, the bonus would be worth ~1.9% dps, which is about par for the course for set bonuses, but that's obviously subject to change pending on said information.
With glyphed riptide in MoP the 4p is completely useless. Let me repeat: useless. Without a CD on riptide we have infinite Tidal Waves buffs.

I have a feeling I'll like the Riptide glyph too, but I doubt it will make the 4P useless. To be fair, these set effects lean towards 10 man Resto Shamans and early progression guilds.

Anyways, if the 4P bonus is useful for a boss fight, you could unglyph Riptide or just restrain yourself from burning your GCDs, which is poor practice already. Following RT>HWx3 which was perhaps the only spell you used in Cataclysm Heroics, and a RT>GHWx3 rotation which was perhaps a rotation used for a large number of entry raid boss fights for tank healing and everyday triage, then you'll see a difference of 11.1% Haste. That's 1421.4 Haste rating today, and probably 3xxx in MoP.

If you also notice what comes along with the 11.1% more GHWs is the 10% cost reduction in the 2P. Not too shabby and I will definitely partake, especially if MoP's healing model is anything like Cataclysm's.

If the boss fight doesn't take advantage of your 4P, then just use 2P/2P or non-tier gear. They exist too! The game is more interesting when your set effects aren't blindly used and are choices like everything else.

Almost every boss fight looks like a council fight with their share of AoE, but I can still easily see triage healing being a huge part of it, especially for heroics. I think the game is a lot more interesting with that style of healing environment present.
With glyphed riptide in MoP the 4p is completely useless. Let me repeat: useless. Without a CD on riptide we have infinite Tidal Waves buffs. Hell, I don't even use most of my TW buffs before having another RT go out in beta. Why would I need another?

Because glyphed Riptide is not for spot healing, but for buffering. That's where the power of Tidal Waves lies. The 4p saves you so many GCDs if you use up all the charges before throwing up another set of TW. I could even imagine running un-glyphed Riptide with this and making use of other glyphs.

Healing is not nearly as cut and dry as you make it out to be.
Thinking the 4P resto may be changed before start of expansion. The reason we have so many just flat changes for this tier has already been stated by blizzard--they don't want the first tier to have anything that may alter the standard rotation/priority of classes while people are still learning new standard rotations and priorities.
Thinking the 4P resto may be changed before start of expansion. The reason we have so many just flat changes for this tier has already been stated by blizzard--they don't want the first tier to have anything that may alter the standard rotation/priority of classes while people are still learning new standard rotations and priorities.

this is an interesting point

personally i might prefer a flat increase to the current resto 4p
this is an interesting point

personally i might prefer a flat increase to the current resto 4p

I'd personally love a "LB is now affected by Tidal Waves" bonus. Huge QoL increase.
04/26/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Stormingire
Because glyphed Riptide is not for spot healing, but for buffering. That's where the power of Tidal Waves lies. The 4p saves you so many GCDs if you use up all the charges before throwing up another set of TW. I could even imagine running un-glyphed Riptide with this and making use of other glyphs.

This is true enough, but if we have another FL-esque tier, and the fact that no one is going to glyph chaining as-is, people will be throwing out riptides like candy. Unless there is a fight with heavy, heavy tank damage where you're assigned to tank heal (see: unnerfed 25m H: Yor'sajh during purple phases, or upstairs on H: Beth), the 4p value will be rather low, as you won't be hurting for Tidal Waves buffs at any point. Depending on fight mechanics, I'll probably run 2p ele 2p resto.
well another crap tier for enh. i hope they change it.
Unless there is a fight without any heavy damage period, then you will gladly use GHW with a mixture of Riptides. If you're a 10 man Resto Shaman it will be a massive proportion of your healing. If you're an early progression guild using a minimal denominator of healers, it will be an extremely impressive bonus. If you're anywhere in between, then the bonus is a quality of life improvement by some degree.

Riptide spam will be fun and extremely useful for low periods of damage, but it still can't compete against the (sigh) urgency of GHW, which is amazing because of TW. If Riptide is so amazing, then why not just RT>RT>RT all day and forget GHW altogether? Because when the demand for healing begins to increase, you start casting more GHWs, especially when the healing dynamic requires more intelligence.

RT>GHW>GHW is a different rotation than RT>GHW>GHW>GHW that serves an identical purpose per your "spread healing" model for Riptide but accomplishes it via more HPS (particularly meaningful HPS) without the mana tax of Haste because the 2P makes it a zero sum. Take careful note that the word rotation for a healer doesn't mean you exclusively spam it. As healers we alternate between optimal approaches to the flow of damage. Sometimes you will clip your TW charges with Riptides and Chain Heals.

In short, the 4P is amazing for when you're healing actual damage. When you have nothing to heal, just as expected a set effect that improves your healing is far less effective the same way a mana regeneration set effect is ineffective when you can't go OOM.

The point emphasized here is that RT>GHW>GHW>GHW is a commonplace rotation for grievous healing and intelligent healing (such as Heroic raiding), and whether or not you pick up the 4P, it is an optimal spell selection for many scenarios, so your rotation isn't changing at all: it's improving.

Without the element of grievous healing, then the whole concept of healing is just an exercise of obsessive neurotics and we might as well all play Enhancement and just heal with MW5 procs. Without an element of intelligent healing, then the compelling dynamics and role of being a healer are extremely limited. We could just buff Healing Stream Totem since it's the only heal needed to heal Well of Eternity for example, and be no better off relatively.

Anyways, I guess your mileage may vary and I've exhausted my perspective on the topic now. If a Shaman prefers to just Chain Heal, then obviously this set effect won't do much for them. For me I am drooling and am extremely excited to begin getting T14 4P immediately, hoping that it remains for live.