New Warlock Lore: Council of the Six Daggers

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 4 10 Next
I like this overall.. particular the Ragnaros thing in particular since my Alliance warlock is a Dark Iron.

Bit disappointed that Nefarian wasn't mentioned with the other Cataclysm guys since he was a master of Shadowflame and used warlock-y spells himself.
I think this is awesome...

I wish each class had their own "special" lore thing.

Be cool to see some statues/plaque's of notable Warriors that died victorious in battle... like X ripped himself from the belly of the old god C'thun, presumed dead; Y died from vampiric blood-letting after beheading the Blood queen Lanathel, Z slayed Illidan with the Demon hunter's own blades before succumbing to his wounds. etc etc.

Class's should feel unique and special apart from one another.
I find this all very, very odd. Not because of the lore or facts involved, but because of the concepts.

I thought they'd washed their hands of class exclusive quests and content. This is not only flying in the face of this notion, it's downright kicking it square in the homogenized nads.

I wonder and hope, however... will the other classes get such a nice big dose of lore exposure, detailing background and significant members, and the logistics and origins behind some of their more advanced powers? I would love to read such a meeting of Rogues within the halls of Ravenholt, a gathering of surviving Death Knights within Acherus, paladins gathered in Hearthglen, and so on.

Nessingwary could host a gathering of Azeroth's greatest Hunters, Fray Island could host the single greatest martial assembly Azeroth has ever seen. Mages from across the world could be summoned to Dalaran, hopefully to throw Rhonin off the side, and Moonglade could hold the conference that seeks to address the Druids of the Flame, fall of the aspects, curse of the Worgen, and the other challenges Malfurion has not yet addressed. The Earthen Ring likewise needs debriefing something fierce.

If they're willing to go in depth like this for something so exclusive to the Warlocks, who knows what all they could bring to the table for the rest of the roster?
04/25/2012 10:22 PMPosted by Malanis
You people already have Enslave Demon. Isn't that enough?

Not until I can replace the Shivan skin that we were given with the otehr Shivan skin in BT via Enslave Demon.

04/25/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Dryker
If they're willing to go in depth like this for something so exclusive to the Warlocks, who knows what all they could bring to the table for the rest of the roster?

Not sure what you're implying here mister... >_>'
Nessingwary could host a gathering of Azeroth's greatest Hunters, Fray Island could host the single greatest martial assembly Azeroth has ever seen. Mages from across the world could be summoned to Dalaran, hopefully to throw Rhonin off the side, and Moonglade could hold the conference that seeks to address the Druids of the Flame, fall of the aspects, curse of the Worgen, and the other challenges Malfurion has not yet addressed. The Earthen Ring likewise needs debriefing something fierce.

Azerothian Anime Expo 2012!
Buy your tickets today, only from authorized goblin resellers!
Buy green or don't buy at all! And yes, that is a threat!
I liked the book. It's tone is somewhere between "meeting transcript" and "cult propaganda," and since the six are apparently the leaders of their own warlock cabals that's perfectly appropriate. The only really jarring part of the narrative that burst my immersion bubble was the bit at the end with Ritssyn's inner monologue, since that brings up the question "Who in the hell is this telepathic narrator?"

As for the books' physical locations, they aren't really that out in the open. The one in Org is in the back of the warlock trainer tent, and you wouldn't really know it was there unless you were visiting the trainers (or specifically searching for the book). Lore-wise the Cleft of Shadow isn't a place many visit without reason, since it's the bad part of town where all the degenerates hang out. The Slaughtered Lamb is thematically similar as a place you don't go to without good reason.
Also, as to the Warlock thing.

I'm not a fan of the writing. At all.

Reads more like a cheap fan fic than anything else.

Concept is sound, though.

I just can't take any of these characters seriously in the slightest.

Bunch of guys sitting around having an anime-esque, adolescent ego battle all trying to show off how evil and impressive they are.

"Look at me! I have no morals! Also FIRE!"

I feel the same way.

This didn't strike me the same way as the books in the Hall of Explorers in Ironforge. The books in the Hall of Explorers had a nice narrative IMO. They had a historical and epic feel, with progression in the events and the third-party omniscient point of view. This warlock book is a bunch of try-hard badassery and it doesn't really say much.
Ritssyn kicked his boots upon the table and snickered.
lame.
This warlock book is a bunch of try-hard badassery and it doesn't really say much.

To be fair, that may be the point. Take a look at Warlocks here. They are generally an off-shoot of another magic, instead of a class on it's own. Mages, Shaman, and the like.

This is the first step we have seen of Warlocks expanding on their range of magic instead of just their power. It's not supposed to be historical, or even epic. The Badassery thing is meant to show that these are the best of the best, the ones who are striving to expand the magic they use, instead of relying on raw power.
Fair point. But it still seems a bit too cheesy.
I thought they'd washed their hands of class exclusive quests and content. This is not only flying in the face of this notion, it's downright kicking it square in the homogenized nads.

They actually seem to have shifted their position to "create cool, exclusive content for the classes that are least popular, to drum up interest."

See also: Fangs of the Father questline.
I thought it was godawful, personally. Here's a link to my reaction over on the Moon Guard forums-

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4768347107?page=2#21
04/25/2012 11:33 PMPosted by Leafwarden
Fair point. But it still seems a bit too cheesy.

Meh. Paladins are far worse. And I Like being the maniacal villain.
A human... shared the secret of how demon hunters... who are all night elves... transform into a pseudo-demonic form?
04/26/2012 12:54 AMPosted by Malanis
A human... shared the secret of how demon hunters... who are all night elves... transform into a pseudo-demonic form?

Do not question it.

Just nod and smile as if everything is okay.
04/25/2012 10:30 PMPosted by Kynrind
Then again, a group of nine outlaws operating in pairs to obtain sources of power? Sounds familiar...

It just reminded me of 'Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,' and the rest that follows.

I think he was referencing the Naruto anime. Specifically Akatsuki who were split into pairs to seek out the nine Tailed Beasts with a single leader at the helm of the organization.
You know looking at this story with a more critical eye, I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't just get characters from the TCG and instead decided to come up with weird names for the Warlock characters.

Just for one example, Zinnin doesn't strike me as a very distinct or Gilnean name. I think a more known Worgen Warlock from the TCG, who is known as Victor Baltus, would have made a better candidate to represent Worgen Warlocks in the setting.

http://wowtcgdb.com/carddetail.aspx?id=3681
I think you're all missing the point. This serves to give us some more flavor and provide an explanation for some of our new spells, and I think it's pretty cool.

We warlocks have constantly been redefined as the game has evolved, and I think this is finally painting the picture of what Warcraft warlocks actually are. We're just people, from whichever walk of life, and we want power. We all have different motives behind our quest for power, and we don't really care where or how we get it. Power is power. I've always thought our initial demon-emphasis was a little off-putting, because aside from our pets we don't actually feel very demonic (although of course nowadays if you spec Demonology that problem is solved). But the other aspects of our class, like the manipulation of souls, the use of diseases and drains, the harnessing of raw fel energy - they're all important too. I get the vibe that there are potentially lots of warlocks in the world who don't use demon magic at all (or at least, very little compared to the rest of us) and instead use other magics that are hinted at in this book.

It isn't meant to be a novel. It would be amazing if Blizz actually made short stories or novels that expanded on class lore, but that's not really the purpose of this particular book. It's just providing an explanation behind our new, non-demonic abilities, and I think it's a fantastic idea. It's also really cool that Blizz is using the actual events of the world to shape the development of the classes. Because yeah, if you saw a massive molten dragon that caused a global cataclysm get literally un-made in front of your eyes...you might wanna look into that power. Of course, ingame warlocks will never be granted ridiculous power like that, but it makes perfect sense that the council would be fascinated.

Edit- My one complaint would be that I agree the names of all six characters are extremely odd and kind of detract from the feel of it all, but if they're intentionally named after famous players I'm fine with that
04/26/2012 12:54 AMPosted by Malanis

No. Illidan consumed the Skull of Gul'dan, which was really just concentrated fel energy, and became half demon. The human taught the rest of us the technique, gathering a crap load of demonic energy, consuming it, and turning into demons. We can only do it temporarily though, seeing as how gathering the stuff ourselves will never compare to the Skull of Gul'dan. Now if we had the Skull of Illidan, that's demonic powah x 2 :P

But yeah, no. Demon hunter demon form is not the same as Illidan's being half demon, which IS similar to Warlock Metamorphosis.

God, it's just not a good day for nonWarlock lore is it :P First Verdant Spheres (-1 mages), then the fact Meta is FROM Illidan (-1 Night Elves), we use Ragnaros as power for destruction (-1 shamans), and also Old Gods for magic (-1 Shadow priests).
04/26/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Felshen
We're just people, from whichever walk of life, and we want power. We all have different motives behind our quest for power, and we don't really care where or how we get it. Power is power.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

People insist we're only demons, but no. We're everything. We want MOAR. Hell, we may even corrupt druidism at some point in an xpac. :P
04/26/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Felshen
My one complaint would be that I agree the names of all six characters are extremely odd and kind of detract from the feel of it all, but if they're intentionally named after famous players I'm fine with that

I thought this, found nothing.
04/26/2012 02:16 AMPosted by Baalsamael
No. Illidan consumed the Skull of Gul'dan, which was really just concentrated fel energy, and became half demon. The human taught the rest of us the technique, gathering a crap load of demonic energy, consuming it, and turning into demons. We can only do it temporarily though, seeing as how gathering the stuff ourselves will never compare to the Skull of Gul'dan. Now if we had the Skull of Illidan, that's demonic powah x 2 :P

Speaking of which, am I the only one that's a bit bothered that a Forsaken Warlock hasn't contributed anything to the Warlock table? I find it odd mostly because of how culturally acceptable Warlocks are in Forsaken society.

But Humans, Orcs, and Blood Elves fit really well too since they all have had a history of experiencing outworldly influences.
04/26/2012 02:47 AMPosted by Donahue
Speaking of which, am I the only one that's a bit bothered that a Forsaken Warlock hasn't contributed anything to the Warlock table? I find it odd mostly because of how culturally acceptable Warlocks are in Forsaken society.

Jubeka is the Forsaken Warlock, paired with the human. Judging by everyone's reactions, she seems to always be with this human, and is apparently insufferable. Perhaps she's like your friendly old zombie lady who acts sweet, but kills everything around her when pissed. She's Demonology.

It's:

Destro, Orc and Worgen, the former focusing on Rag fire, the latter on DW's Chaos (bolt)
Aff, Belf and gnome, the former focusing on Twilight Magic, the latter perhaps Old Gods
Demo, Human and forsaken, the former on becoming demons, the latter on perhaps demons themselves.