Lightning Rod vs. Rathrak / Dragonfire - Norm

Warlock
Hello,

So I'm starting to raid with my guild now, I've obtained both Rathrak and Lightning Rod, both normal mode versions. I'm not sure which one to use for more DPS. I mostly DPS as Affliction as I enjoy the spec a lot.

Anyone have any insight on which combination is better? And would anyone provide any insight on my gear/setup in general? Is affliction top DPS spec for locks or is destro/demo doing better?

Thank you.
Heroic Rath + Heroic spirit off hand from Ultra > Heroic Lightning Rod
Kind of stupid when we have to take a spirit off-hand for our non-legendary BiS. Of course, its just indicative of the failure itemization in DS as a whole.
04/29/2012 02:50 AMPosted by Shyloe
afaik, lightning rod is best in slot for those who doesn't have legendaries, also for specs all 3 specs are strong and I use all 3 of them in a DS run.

Rath + Dragonfire sims a few hundred DPS higher then LR does. Not really sure what to make of that though.
Rath + Dragonfire sims a few hundred DPS higher then LR does. Not really sure what to make of that though.

I though LR was only NonLegendary BiS for Demo but not for Aff? Since the proc gets boosted from Aff's mastery.
The proc is Nature damage, so it wouldn't be affected by mastery. It does count as a DoT for your Felhunter's Shadow Bite though, and it is an AoE.
04/29/2012 04:50 PMPosted by Baalsamael

I though LR was only NonLegendary BiS for Demo but not for Aff? Since the proc gets boosted from Aff's mastery.

According to EJ, running LR is BiS compared to Rath + Dragonfire for Demo, but Simcraft seems to say otherwise.
04/29/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Kairuciant
The proc is Nature damage, so it wouldn't be affected by mastery. It does count as a DoT for your Felhunter's Shadow Bite though, and it is an AoE.

Please note the dot does not benefit Shadow Bite.
04/29/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Shockgz

Why not? Nowhere does it say Shadow Bite is affected by only Shadow DoTs, nor does it say it can be capped in how much bonus damage it gets.
04/30/2012 07:34 AMPosted by Kairuciant

Why not? Nowhere does it say Shadow Bite is affected by only Shadow DoTs, nor does it say it can be capped in how much bonus damage it gets.

Its already been tested on EJ.

The dot also does not scale with spellpower, haste, mastery of any sort, or crit. The only thing that affects it is Nature damage % increases, and the dot does not benefit any sort of talent, spell or pet. It might proc spellweave thought, not sure.
Rath + 378/397 oh >> LR. H LR > H Rath. Either way, at this tier, the proc does more damage than hit & haste off LR do, especially on AoE fights.

All Lock specs sim within one another, and you'll need to switch specs depending on the fight in DS. Such as being Affliction on Hagara and Spine are awful, but you'll lose ~15k dps if you're Not Affliction on Madness.
Heroic Rath > Heroic Lightning Rod
<.< If I were to say.. Go Affliction.. Would Ti'Tahk normal be decent? (I mean my lock doesn't have much choice at the moment. xD But still.)
<.< If I were to say.. Go Affliction.. Would Ti'Tahk normal be decent? (I mean my lock doesn't have much choice at the moment. xD But still.)

No. You're sacrificing all your secondary stats for a Haste proc that gives an average of ~321 haste. Lightning Rod has 318 Haste, 300 Hit and a Red gem socket. At least with Rath you don't lose your stats completely with the offhand.
You don't take higher DPS options when they're given to you? Why get gear at all, then? I don't think Schockgz is the one that needs a slap...