Why is Wow's in-game music so terrible?

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 26 Next
There is a growing problem with younger people nowadays. Music Education is becoming slimmer and slimmer in early Elementary Education, and even in High Schools.

I can personally guarantee that the OP could not do the simplistic musical task, such as transcribing "The Flintstone's" theme music on staff paper by ear. Nor could he even play a simple Beatles song (such as 'Yesterday') on the piano if he only had the chords in front of him.

However, this same OP is given a venue to call someone's work "terrible" and pretend that he even has a single leg to stand upon on this issue.

I am earning my Bachelors in Music with an emphasis on Opera Performance. I regularly perform in professional Opera companies and play a variety of musical instruments. I concede that the music in this game is very well composed and orchestrated even better. The variety of styles, timbres, and textures that are being emoted through music in this gaming universe sets the bar for other games that don't even come close.

OP, listen to some real music for once. Music is really only about 500 years old, so stop listening to things composed in the past fifteen years. Take a music history class. Take music theory courses, take ear training, take dictation, just whatever you do stop posting garbage like this.
If you disagree with the OP, downrate his post!! Bury it!

The soundtrack to World of Warcraft isn't something that I rock out to while I'm driving down the highway, but it is good enough to download and give it a listen.

"Nightsong" from the Cataclysm soundtrack, and "Lament of the Highborne" from the Burning Crusade soundtrack was enough for me to dig deeper into the Warcaft soundtracks and find out how much work they go into to make it really epic.

Be thankful the sound team still has a budget to put actual effort into their work, unlike the team that produced Dragon Soul.

OP, you need to get out into the world to experience the music. Not sit in a capital city.
This topic title makes me sad. :(

We put a lot of effort into our music. If you actually [url="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/music/"]go through it[/url] and listen you'll find a much broader breadth of styles than you might notice in the game. There are a few photos available via that link as well that provide just a glimpse of the recording and mixing processes.

Wow. Dont get your hopes up about the music on that page.... 30 second clips? Seriously? I was looking forward to listening to them. I guess its just youtube.
Compositions like "Nightsong" are freaking epic, and I don't mean 'epic video game music'. I mean epic music. Period.

http://youtu.be/Z9iqUVY15VI
http://youtu.be/1y8H2r4f7eo
You know what music I almost always play again? Castaways, the goblin music which you can hear from the goblin zones or the goblin starting zone.

Also, I love defenders of Azeroth, it is the one in SW.

I loced WotLK music as well, well, actually I'll just say I love WoW's music <3
The music is absolutely amazing. What is wrong with you!
This topic title makes me sad. :(

We put a lot of effort into our music. If you actually [url="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/music/"]go through it[/url] and listen you'll find a much broader breadth of styles than you might notice in the game. There are a few photos available via that link as well that provide just a glimpse of the recording and mixing processes.

Wow. Don't get your hopes up about the music on that page.... 30 second clips? Seriously? I was looking forward to listening to them.

Go to YouTube, search the song names. They probably are up there for your listening pleasure. Albeit 720p and below.
I know this pile of bones DID NOT just say that without the following phrase "Excluding Karazhan" somewhere in that post. Someone get a Frost Mage to hold me back before I throw on my PvP gear and Start something.
Ulduar and icc (sindragosa especially) was awesome.
I absolutely LOVE the tavern music, I've muted boss fights and played those instead...

That being said, awhile back when was in the mood i went to random zones and just sat and listened to each zones music, and some of the sub-zones therein and i have to say... sitting on the hilltop in between the verdant grove(or thicket, i cant remember) and the world tree in Hyjal where i often find "Nightsong" playing is still one of my favorite spots to just listen aside from just about every tavern in the game of course :P
I love the music. I even bought the cd's for work.
05/04/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Liamaru
I know this pile of bones DID NOT just say that without the following phrase "Excluding Karazhan" somewhere in that post. Someone get a Frost Mage to hold me back before I throw on my PvP gear and Start something.

*Throws some Cataclysmic gear your way*

Have fun.
I have it on all the time
I actually had to log in and reply to this post.

The WoW music (for the most part) is amazing IMO.

The main theme medley and some of the zone themes are just so epic.

Storm Peaks is probably my favorite.

The new login music stacks up just fine against previous offerings.

Keep up the great work Blizzard music team!
05/04/2012 03:15 PMPosted by Liamaru
Start it... and enjoy every little second you do it.
Have the soundtracks and the icc soundtrack on my ipod. Gunships is always fun to listen to.
I play with the in game music turned on the majority of the time except when I am in BGs (in which case I like to listen to Holst's "Mars, The Bringer of War"). And as a professional musican, I can tell you that all of the in game music is interesting and enjoyable to listen to. I have not heard an in game piece that is "terrible."
05/04/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Azrale
Have the soundtracks and the icc soundtrack on my ipod. Gunships is always fun to listen to.

I was like "awesome" when I heard it in Dragon Soul.