Australian latency

Oceanic General Discussion
Post Limit:
1 2 3 7 Next
TO BLIZZZARD,
I purchase the best internet i can get, connect my computer to the router with a cable and i am still experiencing at BEST 230ms latency. On a normal day my latency is around 300-400ms. This is incredibly frustrating as when i play melee characters, the game tells me 'you are too far away' when on my screen, IM STANDING RIGHT ON THE ENEMY. Can someone please tell me why they bothered making 'oceanic' servers when they are located in America, and moreover, why there isnt a single oceanic server located NEAR oceanic regions. Australians ALSO pay money for their subscription fee, so why aren't they entitled to the same benefits of low latency?
Apparently its a topic Blizzard talk about alot. BUT hey talk is cheap. what are they talking about?
Im just rocking average internet and running off of a laptop and I get from 180-300MS.
but grated the game play feels a bit lagger, for instance I have to wait about 10 seconds after leaving a building before I can mount up or anything. Very annoying!
I mean, Biowears Star wars the old republic has at least Australian servers, Blizzard earns billions of a year, and yet we can't get ONE server here? It's bull!@#$ I think. If Blizz can give me a reason they can't get a server out here when other games can, this ill let it slide, other side, slack blizz.
05/04/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Tecate
I enjoy my 15/15 ms :D

Do you find it noticeable when your enemies have higher latency?
is there a Obvious advantage to you in that scenario?
It not as bad as it used to be, try jumping out of water and changing into flightform, and getting away from the water.

I'm on telstra mobile and I get ~350ms with 100 normal variance. (sw sydney)

the only time it matters is during pvp or a very mobile fight and when it rains, alot.

and since the NBN is coming along, from a business standpoint I can't see why anyone would place local servers except for customer loyalty, and blizz already has a ton of that.

landlines used to bounce around 800ms in vanilla

I agree cause I'd move next door. but its definately getting better for the metro areas
05/06/2012 05:17 AMPosted by Zazinator
I enjoy my 15/15 ms :D

Do you find it noticeable when your enemies have higher latency?
is there a Obvious advantage to you in that scenario?

I know people in the US who play on the Oceanic servers specifically because the majority of players will have a higher latency so they get an advantage. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes now with cross-realm battle groups and a lack of world PvP though.

That all said, last time I was in the US I used a friend's computer in California and was getting a peak latency of 20ms and compared to playing here in Oz, it makes a huge difference. Stuff just happens when you want it to. Two examples: Running out of the mage tower in Stormwind in the US I could run out, leap off the edge, change into flight form and fly away. 90% of the time in Oz, I run out, leap off the edge, be told I can't use that form inside and fall to the ground.

Other thing is just looting. US I could click on something and it loots and I keep going. Oz, I have deliberately pause, wait for the computer to register the looting, then run on.

That said, players who are use to playing with higher latency tend to perform better when the latency of two players is equal simply because they're better at anticipating and predicting.
05/04/2012 05:13 AMPosted by Carrotmonstr
the game tells me 'you are too far away' when on my screen, IM STANDING RIGHT ON THE ENEMY.

oh god i have horrible nightmares right now of the kitty hitbox issues back in vanilla.

you could run across an entire field after a toon with 3 hp and not be able to land a hit on them, slowing down, hitting dash, nothing worked.....
05/06/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Lèe
and since the NBN is coming along, from a business standpoint I can't see why anyone would place local servers except for customer loyalty

It doesn't matter if we get fibre-to-home in Australia, it won't change our ping all that much. There will always be a point where the ping can't go any lower due to distance. A server closer to us (in Australia) would be most beneficial. We'd be able to achieve pings over HALF less than what we're getting now.
I would enjoy the game alot more with Australian servers released, But really theres no excuse for blizzard, because Internode have offered them time and time again with epic deals for a server here but blizzards are snobby stuck up !@#$s who charge us 15 dollars a month to lag like a mofo and get rolled by all the americans with 15 ms.
This issue has been going on for Years its makes me sad to think about all the australians players over the years

That have sat at 2k mmr in arena when they deserve to be 2200

And all the 2400 aussies that have had glad robbed from them because the teams crushing them have 30 ms compared to their 240.

The difference to the reaction times of player with 200ms is unparalleled compared to a player using 30 ms when.

less that half a second in a game as mechanically advanced as Wow is the difference between winning and losing.
Telstra adsl2 20m/bit

I get about 195-215 average.

But it is telstra, so it screws up monthly.
It is not so much distance, but how many hops your internet signal, make and how your ISP routes it. My main server is in the LA data center, and I have a Guild mate who lives in British Columbia, on the Canadian west cost. Instead of routing South through Washington State, and on to California; His ISP routes him first East through New York City, and then West on To California. He envies the ping some of you Aussie gets.

I suggest downloading Leatrix Latency Fix from WoWInterface. It will:

reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

It reduced my average ping from 150-250 to 57-67.
It is not so much distance, but how many hops your internet signal, make and how your ISP routes it. My main server is in the LA data center, and I have a Guild mate who lives in British Columbia, on the Canadian west cost. Instead of routing South through Washington State, and on to California; His ISP routes him first East through New York City, and then West on To California. He envies the ping some of you Aussie gets.

I suggest downloading Leatrix Latency Fix from WoWInterface. It will:

reduce your online gaming latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a program which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

It reduced my average ping from 150-250 to 57-67.

LeaTrix works well but it could be a double sided blade as it can screw up your connection for quite some times if you're using it "intensively" (ie. torrents & other p2p)

[You have to be inGame]
If you want to know what your server's ip is :

- start a cmd as administrator (start -> type cmd then right click "run as administrator")
- type :
netstat -abn | more

And check ip linked to dest port : 3724, 1119, 4000, 6112, 6113 and 6114

It should give your auth server's ip and game server's ip (if you're in game)...
Example : 154.33.22.11 (random, it's not a bli's ip :p)

now :
tracert 154.33.22.11
pathping 154.33.22.11

this should give you precious informations you could provide to your provider for debugging.

ps : Instead of netstat you can also use tcpView by technet (a branch of microsoft)
Even with an unobstructed path to the server, there is still the issue of not being able to bend physics to your will. If a player was seated on one side of the southern cross cable (Mainland Aus to Mainland US) and the server on the opposite there would be at the least 76.5 ms for a data packet travelling one way.

AU to Fiji 17.72 + Fiji to HW 29.14 + HW to MainUS 29.71 = 76.57 for one way data trip

Those figures are from the Southern cross info page. Add an extra 8ms to get from Nedonna to San Jose, then factor in Aus telecomms infrastructure and you can add anywhere from 5-50 to that. Servers in Aus would be nice, but how long has WoW been running now? 10 years almost? There wont be Aus servers, second best solution is a tunnelling/VPN situation to keep lag to the minimum, best solution is move to US if you really want low latency else get used to seeing 150+ms.
I get an average of 170-190 where I live. its better than majority of Aussies I have met so far.
I have seen it go to 166 in the past.

One quetion, I am getting NBN fibre optic put in, would it improve my latency even by the slightest?
We will never get our own Oz servers. My main gripe are the yank players taking advantage of our inherent latency. Number of casts or melee swings etc between us and them on a boss fight for example makes a huge difference in DPS. Give us our own servers on Oceanic so at least we are all on a level playing field and maybe adjust boss stats to compensate.
It baffles me how a crappy game like SW:TOR can have oceanic servers and yet a successful company running a profitable game like WoW can not.

I pay good money to play this game and quite frankly I feel like us Australians are getting shafted.

Blizzard, get off your high-horse and give us Australians what we need, please.
Really can't be bothered to play anymore because of the latency. I average around 200, and in PvP it's just unbearable. I can't play melee because the enemy is too far away, and i can't play as a caster because i get killed so quickly because of the delay to cast spells. We NEED australian servers...