Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 6 7 8 26 Next
thx kal that worked perfectly my pc now recognizes my hdd :D

btw u know which antivirus is the best out now? I tried downloading avast free version from cnet but started getting bsod errors. did a system restore and havent gotten any since. wierd
Well, there is no single "Best" AV. For your protection, what's important is your surfing behavior and being able to understand the threat ahead of the time.

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Combined with that, FireFox + NoScript, and that I always keep Flash and Java up-to-date.
I haven't had an AV in 5 years. Never had any issues and I don't plan on getting one. It's one more thing I don't want loaded in my memory, taking ressources and slowing down my games.
*Request for sticky*
05/08/2012 12:18 PMPosted by Pyropism

AZZA Spartan CSAZ-102E Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G850

thats my build i have windows and a dvd drive already is this any good looking to buy it today
If budget can be stretched a bit more, I would recommend going to an i3-2120 CPU instead of Pentium.

But if that isn't, the build as it is perfectly fine, with future upgrading potential with Ivy Bridge i3 or i5 (non-OC), after you update BIOS and stuff. In this case, I would -downgrade- CPU to Pentium G630 and save $$$. There is no real difference between your Pentium and G630.
yeh im kinda bugeted right now ill upgrade down the road so get the Pentium G630 and save like 10 bucks? and what will this build run fps wise for wow by any chance
Well, if $10 is OK, you can stick to G850 to reap about 2~3 more FPS over G630 in WoW.

Very rough estimation tells me:
About 30ish FPS in very crowded cities, and likewise in raids
Everywhere else, high enough FPS

This assumes you run 1920x1080 res, ultra (shadows @ high). If your monitor runs at a lower resolution, FPS will be higher
Props on the call for a 2600 non-k vs k if you're NOT intending to go nuts with overclocking. I saved like $40 at Microcenter buying the cheaper non-K last year and just stock OC'ed it to 4.2GHz max turbo boost. During WoW, it's usually around 3.9-4GHz, and I haven't had to worry about the issues that can accompany overclocking at all.

Oh, and I've been thinking about upgrading to a 670 from a 460 1GB card tomorrow(if I can get my hands on one.) It's suppose to run around $400, do you think it's worth the upgrade? I'd like to stream and plan to try other games since WoW is stale, but MoP is also on the horizon too.
Hum is something wrong with my CPU? Isn't it supposed to be showing 3.4ghz and not 1.6 ?
1.6 is the correct idle clock. If you weren't doing anything when you took that screenshot, nothing is wrong.
05/09/2012 03:50 PMPosted by Kalganized
1.6 is the correct idle clock. If you weren't doing anything when you took that screenshot, nothing is wrong.

I imagine there's no way to force it to stay at 4000ghz ? I also ran a Prime95 ( the maximum heat one ) for a good 30 mins ( maybe it's not long enough ? ) and it cannot go past 55c. Opinions on that?

Edit: This is kinda hilarious. As soon as I minimize the CPU-Z and bring it back, you can see the clock speed go up to 4000ghz for a split second then back to 1.6.
You do not want to force it to stay at 4.0 GHz. Any reason why you need it to?

Staying under 55C is a great temperature.
There's no reason as long as it fully uses the 4.0ghz I'm OC'ing it to when I'm in any games.
Hey Kalganized, really appreciate everything you've done here.

I got a build up on newegg ( and was wondering if you could help me out.

Looking to spend less than $1k since I live on Guam and shipping is already a pain. I have to get a new OS and I need a new monitor so I can't save any money there :| Just looking to build a solid pc for gaming, nothing too crazy for now, might upgrade later.

Just wondering if there are any problems with those parts. Matching problems? Any extra cords I need to buy? Anything else you would suggest?

Thanks a lot.
* Madawk:

Yes, the CPU will go as high as possible when it's playing games. There is no need to worry. It only drops to 1.6 GHz if there's nothing for the CPU to do, hence, it being an idle clock.

* Druidbuffs:

You can probably save few bucks going to a DDR3-1333 RAM, as H61 motherboard won't support the maximum speed of DDR3-1600.

Otherwise, they look great. There is no need for anything extra.
Hm. WoW is strange. It's sad to see that even with a GTX 680, WoW will go under 60fps if you put the shadows on ultra.
I have some quick questions related to video cards and the usage of the new PCIe 3.0 slots. I thought that it would be appropriate to post them in here since the information might be useful for those who might be interested.

Are there any video cards available that can fully saturate the bandwidth available on a PCIe 3.0 16x slot? What about the PCIe 3.0 8x slot? If not, what disadvantages are there to using the PCIe 3.0 8x slot with today's technology?

From what I've read when researching this, it seems like no card available at the moment comes close to clogging up the PCIe 3.0 16x slot, but I haven't been able to find much about the possibility of saturating the PCIe 3.0 8x slot.

Thanks! :)