Comprehensive Gaming PC/Laptop Guide: MK II

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Prev 1 7 8 9 26 Next
Kantis, this might be an informative read for you:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html
I've got 2 questions: I made 2 mistakes today while assembling my computer.

First: A very little amount of thermal paste touched the bottom of one of the pins of the mobo.

Second: While trying to remove some I actually moved a pin by like 0.5 mm.

Are those things that will backfire on me later ? The paste is not conductive.
Clean off the paste the best you can. You can attempt to move back the pin, but you would have to be very careful doing it.

It should not backfire on you as long as you can do the above very very carefully.
I tried to remove as much as I can. I didn't try moving back the pin as I shake alot. So far I've had no issues at all. Played wow tonight , ran prime95 / MSI kombustor with furmark.
Seems OK for now, you can use pincers or something to fix it later if you experience problems.
The paste doesn't touch the top of the pin so it still makes perfect contact.

The sligthly moved one is barely noticeable so I'm assuming it's making contact fine.

I'm just looking for some comfort here lol.

"for now" seems to imply I might have problems later. What could happen ?
Well, assuming that pin remains in place, and you don't bend it any further, there should be no further problem.
I took this in case something like that would happen.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186038

I'm very glad I did.

But to clarify, the paste doesn't actually connect any pins as it's just at the base of one.
Kantis, this might be an informative read for you:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html

Very nice article, thanks a ton Kalganized! Judging from the numerous benchmarking tests and assuming that I am understanding this correctly, there is very minimal disadvantage (less than 1%, if even that much in most cases, which translates into a few FPS lost) from running a recently released video card from the PCIe 3.0 8x slot instead of the 16x slot. Does this sound about right? :)

Side note: my parts have almost all arrived and I've already got everything in my case. Waiting on the SSD to show up so that I can install the OS. I'll provide you links once I get around to making my build log! :D
* Kantis:

Pretty much. Even when run at PCIe 3.0 4x, there's virtually no loss.

* Defilement:

If you don't ever intend to use Ivy Bridge's integrated graphics, you can skip it.
GTX 670 is out guys, and let's just say it's nothing short of amazing. It replaces HD 7870 / 7950 in the recommendation, and I leave a note that unless you need every little bit of FPS gain as possible, that GTX 670 is a better choice than the GTX 680.
05/10/2012 10:39 AMPosted by Kalganized
GTX 670 is out guys, and let's just say it's nothing short of amazing. It replaces HD 7870 / 7950 in the recommendation, and I leave a note that unless you need every little bit of FPS gain as possible, that GTX 670 is a better choice than the GTX 680.

Already ordered mine. :)

Planning to stream and play MoP/Diablo/LoL/etc.

How long does UPS ground take? :(
Depends on where you live vs. where the item is being shipped from.
Thanks so much for the guide Kal. This is the build I put together to play WoW, D3 and SC2 at max settings. Any thoughts?

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H61M/U3S3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Pareema 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Drive: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
I got the asrock extreme3 gen 3 and I need to install the BIOS/drivers before being able to use my ivy bridge i5. Using a borrowed i5 sandy how will I go about doing this? And how can I update the bios through windows instead of putting it on a floppy/usb?
Looks good to me, although if I were to build it, I would spend some more on the CPU and GPU, replacing them with:

Pentium G850 -> i3-2120
Radeon HD 7770 -> HD 6870 / GTX 560

I got the asrock extreme3 gen 3 and I need to install the BIOS/drivers before being able to use my ivy bridge i5. Using a borrowed i5 sandy how will I go about doing this? And how can I update the bios through windows instead of putting it on a floppy/usb?

Install the i5 Sandy + heatsink as normal.

You do not update the BIOS through Windows (or at least, it's not recommended to do so). Put it on a bootable USB or a CD, then boot from there to do the BIOS update.
Looks good to me, although if I were to build it, I would spend some more on the CPU and GPU, replacing them with:

Pentium G850 -> i3-2120
Radeon HD 7770 -> HD 6870 / GTX 560

Install the i5 Sandy + heatsink as normal.

You do not update the BIOS through Windows (or at least, it's not recommended to do so). Put it on a bootable USB or a CD, then boot from there to do the BIOS update.
I still have to install the drivers, correct? Can I do this through the bios as-well or do I need to install windows 7 and update from there?
You install all other drivers within Windows (preferably downloaded latest version from ASRock website). BIOS is the only thing that does not follow this pattern.
05/10/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Kalganized
You install all other drivers within Windows (preferably downloaded latest version from ASRock website). BIOS is the only thing that does not follow this pattern.
Can you link me the drivers/BIOS updates that I need to use? I don't want to accidently install the wrong stuff.